256 replies to this topic

#251 KeithA

KeithA

hammerhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 09:27 AM

We have been on a jamming/canning tear this summer after doing it for the first time last summer. A few weeks ago when strawberries were still ripe and available at the farmers market and for picking at Larriland, we made a couple of big batches of jam with the Ball low-sugar pectin that turned out great.  Even better was the addition of a fresh vanilla pod (scrape out and then the pod thrown in) to the fruit while cooking - delicous strawberries and cream like falvor. The plain strawberries with fresh picked from the farm were really good too.  Can't wait to do blackberries and peaches again later this summer.

#252 ktmoomau

ktmoomau

leviathan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,979 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 03:06 PM

What vegetables have people put in leftover pickle juice with success?  And did you do anything to them first?

But I learned fast how to keep my head up 'cause I
Know I got this side of me that
Wants to grab the yoke from the pilot and just
Fly the whole mess into the sea. The Shins
www.rrbmdk.com
www.katelintaylor.com

#253 KeithA

KeithA

hammerhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 09:06 PM

What vegetables have people put in leftover pickle juice with success?  And did you do anything to them first?

I've tried sliced cucumbers in a few different leftover brines and mostly been failures. I think if you have a stronger brine and maybe cooked the vegetables in it for a bit (as I've seen some recipes call for 3-8 minutes of simmering before ladling into the jar) that you might have some success.  I do need some help here too as I'm about to finish eating through 3 jars of great homemade pickles and would love to not waste what is likely a quart plus of brine. 

#254 ktmoomau

ktmoomau

leviathan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,979 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 09:17 PM

I've tried sliced cucumbers in a few different leftover brines and mostly been failures. I think if you have a stronger brine and maybe cooked the vegetables in it for a bit (as I've seen some recipes call for 3-8 minutes of simmering before ladling into the jar) that you might have some success.  I do need some help here too as I'm about to finish eating through 3 jars of great homemade pickles and would love to not waste what is likely a quart plus of brine. 

I am trying radish and onions in a leftover jar of maille gherkins.  I will let you know how they go.  They are still sitting, it's been about a week now.

www.rrbmdk.com
www.katelintaylor.com

#255 zoramargolis

zoramargolis

leviathan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,723 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 08:47 PM

The salt in the brine draws water out of the cucumbers and dilutes the brine. The resulting leftover brine is then watered down and doesn't have the necessary salt:water ratio to pickle a new batch of cukes. Either add more salt, or start new brine for the next batch.

#256 Pat

Pat

clownfish

• Membership Director
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,041 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 08:24 AM

I saw someone suggest that hard-boiled eggs in leftover pickling liquid from jalapeƱos makes great pickled eggs, but I haven't tried that myself.  (And jalapeƱo juice would be spicier than plain pickle juice.)

Lately, I've made a couple batches of quick-pickled banana peppers.  My husband loves banana peppers, and I've been finding them a lot at the market.

• ktmoomau likes this

#257 ktmoomau

ktmoomau

leviathan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,979 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 10:31 AM

Banana peppers are a good idea.  I tried some of the onions out of the jar and they weren't bad.  I may try adding a bit more salt now and see if that aids anything.  I haven't tried any of radish yet.  

www.rrbmdk.com
www.katelintaylor.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users