Pittsburgh, PA

Erik Ox

Anyone have any recommendations for the city of 3 rivers? I'm headed to a wedding this weekend and have a late Friday dinner (won't be in town until 9-ish), breakfast/lunch on Saturday and brunch on Sunday to fill. On opentable Trilogy looked kinda interesting until I saw the website. This post may later need to be cross listed so it can take the cake as Worst. Website. Ever.

Thanks.

There are a couple of great places to eat when in the 'Burgh. Kaya in the Strip District. I would go to the Church Brew Works for sandwiches and beer and for high end, The Casbah in Shadyside.

Defintely hit Church Brew Works if you get the chance. The beer is good (mostly German and Belgian offerings), the food is very good for pub grub, but, seriously, the real reason to go is to bask in the splendor of that brew kettle on the high altar. It's also across the street from Iron City, so you can get the yin and yang of Pittsburgh beers in one fell swoop.

Anyone have any recommendations for the city of 3 rivers? I'm headed to a wedding this weekend and have a late Friday dinner (won't be in town until 9-ish), breakfast/lunch on Saturday and brunch on Sunday to fill. On opentable Trilogy looked kinda interesting until I saw the website. This post may later need to be cross listed so it can take the cake as Worst. Website. Ever.

Thanks.

If you possibly can, get to the fruit and vegetable strip sometime after midnight and enter the 4th level of purgatory, which is Primanti Bros. (pronounced Permanti's). It is the most exciting restaurant you'll find anywhere -- mixing students, opera goers, pro athletes, railyard workers, hookers, garbagemen, commodity investors, motorcyclists, litérrateurs, etc. And there's no separate table bullshit, you just sit where you sit, and you can rely on being enthusiastically welcomed. It's the closest thing to the old Les Halles in Paris before they cleaned it up. The place is famous for putting the french fries inside the sandwich, but after the sensory assault of entering Primanti's, that hardly matters. Say hello to Jimmy D for me, and let me know if my review that appeared in Penthouse is still on the wall.

If you possibly can, get to the fruit and vegetable strip sometime after midnight and enter the 4th level of purgatory, which is Primanti Bros. (pronounced Permanti's). It is the most exciting restaurant you'll find anywhere -- mixing .... hookers, garbagemen, commodity investors, motorcyclists, litérrateurs, etc.
She was a HOOKER? I just thought I was doing really well with her. :)

I'll second Primanti's or The Original for your late Friday night.

Thanks,

Kevin

STRONG third for Primanti's. http://www.primantibros.com/ You want to order their "#2 best seller the cheesesteak" and you do NOT want to go to a suburban or franchise location (yes, they franchise...hmmm..!)

You want the original.

When Crown, Cork and Seal used to be one of my customers (it is two blocks from the original location), I would be subjected to Primanti's at least once a month. I just don't get it. I just think that they are too over-done, the size of the sandwiches with the fries and everything else is too large for anyone to actually take a decent bit out of.

I would recommend heading over to Oakland and getting a hotdog and some fries from the "O". It is another Pittsburgh landmark.

Erik,

Where will you be staying and what kind of food/price range are you looking for?

Staying at the Hilton next to Point State Park and the convention center. Price point is flexible, fine with a higher priced place for Friday pm, just would prefer it to be reasonably close to the Hilton and able to seat us around 10pm. As far as food, I'm probably thinking modern American (does anyone use that anymore?) something like Firefly or Circle Bistro would be ideal, but it may be asking for too much.

When Crown, Cork and Seal used to be one of my customers (it is two blocks from the original location), I would be subjected to Primanti's at least once a month. I just don't get it. I just think that they are too over-done, the size of the sandwiches with the fries and everything else is too large for anyone to actually take a decent bit out of.

I would recommend heading over to Oakland and getting a hotdog and some fries from the "O". It is another Pittsburgh landmark.

I've never been to Primanti's before midnight. After midnight it is awesome.

I've never been to Primanti's before midnight. After midnight it is awesome.
Having grown up in the 'burgh, I find that how good Primanti's is tends to be a function of how drunk you are. To some degree it's Pittsburgh's version of Ben's -- it's more unique than good. The Dirty O, on the other hand, has some of the best hotdogs and fries you'll find anywhere -- sober or drunk.

Erik,

I've got an e-mail in to my brother, who still lives in the 'burgh, but finding good eats in Pgh that late may be difficult.

Lidia's (yes, Bastianich) in the Strip district may be worth a shot. An old article I found says open until 10 on Friday and 10:30 on Saturday.

Lidia's (yes, Bastianich) in the Strip district may be worth a shot. An old article I found says open until 10 on Friday and 10:30 on Saturday.

There seems to be slim pickins in Pittsburgh on Sunday nights. I tried Bona Terra but they're closed. Is there anything? Primanti's will work for lunch, but I'm looking for a more leisurely dinner with a beer or glass of wine. (Joe H is there anything near Kennywood?)

There seems to be slim pickins in Pittsburgh on Sunday nights. I tried Bona Terra but they're closed. Is there anything? Primanti's will work for lunch, but I'm looking for a more leisurely dinner with a beer or glass of wine. (Joe H is there anything near Kennywood?)

It's been a longgggg time, but from my sketchy memory, I'm throwing these out there in hopes that someone can give more information.

Roland's in the Strip

http://www.rolandsseafoodgrill.com/wst_page10.html

Other areas that come to mind are Carson St./Southside and Shadyside for later dining options.

Try one of these. It's pretty much the behemoth of decent dining in the 'burgh unless you want to try one of the French places on mt washington that are stuck in 1975.

Man, I used to LOVE this place. Those fries were great for totally unpretentious childhood eating mouth-stuffing. IIRC, they used to have pizza for something like $3 and the dogs were pretty good.

Man, I used to LOVE this place. Those fries were great for totally unpretentious childhood eating mouth-stuffing. IIRC, they used to have pizza for something like $3 and the dogs were pretty good.

You all are trying to kill the poor guy. LOL The "O", Peerrmantiesnthat.... are only for us yinzers.

Try the Ostrich burger at the Sharps Edge with some good old Belgian Brews.

monterey bay fish grotto got a very positive "First Bite" by Sietsema a few weeks back for the Tysons location. There's on in Monroeville and on Mt. Washington overlooking the Burgh. I haven't been in 4-5 years but we always enjoyed our meals at the Monroeville location.

Pax,

Brian

when I lived there, three places that were on the regular rotation:

MadMex (see above)

The Casbah in Shadyside http://www.bigburrito.com/casbah/

and The Church Brew Works- http://www.churchbrew.com/

this place may not be the best food in the world but as the name implies it is a brewpub in an old church. The kegs are right there on the alter. This joint is near the strip district so go and shop for a bit and stop here for lunch!

Try one of these. It's pretty much the behemoth of decent dining in the 'burgh unless you want to try one of the French places on mt washington that are stuck in 1975.
when I lived there, three places that were on the regular rotation:

MadMex (see above)

[...]

and The Church Brew Works- http://www.churchbrew.com/

this place may not be the best food in the world but as the name implies it is a brewpub in an old church. The kegs are right there on the alter. This joint is near the strip district so go and shop for a bit and stop here for lunch!

I've been meaning to write about my two-night stay in Pittsburgh, where I can honestly say that I didn't have one single good bite of food. The dining scene there seems TERRIBLE.

It all started with an unbelievably bad hot dog at a Pirates game. I'm pretty sure it was a Sugarland dog, and it was just your standard-issue soggy-bun nasty 7-11 tasting thing with pumped mustard and pickle relish that had the consistency of boiled okra. Gross!

I should have waited for the fifth inning, because they started singing this song over the speaker system, which was sung to the tune of "Go Tell Aunt Rosie" (or more accurately, "Let's All Go To The Lobby" - that jingle they play in movie theaters with the cartoon popcorn box and soft drink, erm, pop). Here's how it went:

It's time to shoot some hot dogs!

And catch ourselves some meat!

And then they proceeded to come out with bazookas along the first- and third-base lines - you know how they shoot T-shirts up into the crowd? - well, they did it with HOT DOGS. One of them bounced off the concrete of the upper deck, and fell down to the mezzanine and people were diving for it like it was a 500th home-run ball.

For dinner that night I went to Church Brew Works, and had some really good beers (and awesome cream soda), but the food I saw coming out looked pretty bleak despite a semi-ambitious menu. I stuck with a bacon cheeseburger and homemade, slightly burnt, potato chips and I don't regret it. In terms of cubic footage (width x depth x height), this must surely be one of the largest restaurants in the world.

Lunch the next day was at Kennywood - do the math!

Then dinner at the original MadMex, the one near the university. A very cool dive with a good beer selection (I actually had a Church Brew Works beer there) and genuinely friendly service, but alas, the food was no better than what you'd get by buying El Paso at Safeway. I think I had a chicken quesadilla and a beef burrito.

So while the food itself was forgettable, I'm glad I went to both Church Brew Works and MadMex. Great, unique atmospheres that can't be replicated (although they're trying with multiple locations of MadMex). Thanks for the recommendations.

Cheers,

Rocks.

I wish I had seen this earlier - the food scene is not as dire as in some of the posts. Having lived there for several years and now travelling back there for business, there are some great places, but not necessarily in the most well-known places. In Bloomfield there is a place called Tessaro's - basically a grill, but with a great neighborhood feel and one of the best chicken sandwiches anywhere. I used to live on them in grad school and still love to go back there. In Brightwood I think, is a small Italian place called Davio's. Tiny space, great Italian, which really is one of the best cuisines in the Burgh. I still dream of a perfectly cooked portabello dish from back before everyone decided the portabello was a meat substitute for vegitarian dishes. Perfectly grilled with salt, olive oil, and garlic.

In the Strip district - Deluca's is a great diner serving fantastic breakfasts, especially omelets. And I still make my way to Pamela's in Shadyside for breakfast - they have very thin, almost crepe-like pancakes and home fries done right. To be honest, I have not found breakfast places or Italian up to those meals yet locally.

Finally made it out to Il Pizzaiolo. Amazing pizza!! A friend and I shared the Margherita DOC, Sausage and Rapini, and a Provola, (I think that was the name, with fresh tomato, arugula, smokey cheese, (scamorza?) and shaved grana). It's really the closest I've had to the pizza I ate in Naples, Gino Sorbillo in particular.

The restaurant and oven are both very aesthetically pleasing, and the wait staff isn't half bad either!

Highly recommended, worth the trip.

We stayed at the Omni William Penn. I have to admit that their chicken wings looked fantastic, but the "Tap Room" was so overcrowded (mostly by Giants fans) that it took us forever to get even a round of beers, we never got our waters, and one of the beers was wrong. We paid the $5 and change for each of our beers and other than at Heinz Field that was the most we paid for one all weekend.

However, the breakfast they brought to our room on Monday morning was rather good.

We hit Carson City Saloon on Southside on Saturday night was pretty good - though, mind you, we'd started drinking hours before in another state. I had the grilled balogna with a fried egg, while most of the other guys had the Pitts-burger or something like that. Beers were only $2, and dropped to $.26 when #26 on the Penguins scored a goal.

We made it to Primanti bros. later that night but alas, didn't eat.

However, overall we were impressed with how cheap most everything was and how friendly everyone was.

Wow. I'm going to Pittsburgh this weekend with my husband and toddler. The above thread makes the dining scene seem pretty dire. :rolleyes: If anyone knows of any decent places where a 19-month old won't be a problem (and is in or within striking distance of the Strip District), I would be grateful!

If anyone knows of any decent places where a 19-month old won't be a problem (and is in or within striking distance of the Strip District), I would be grateful!
Ok, I've not been there, but was up watching "Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives" once, which featured:

Kelly O's

Pine Plaza Shopping Center

1130 Perry Hwy

Pittsburgh, PA 15237

Tel: (412) 364-0473

It looked nice, family-friendly, and roughly 7-8 miles acc. to Google maps. Have fun!

Just got back from the Iron City and found the eating to be much more pleasant than I expected. Dinners were provided at the home of local friends, so our meals out were breakfast and lunch. The Strip was a short walk from our hotel, so we headed there early Saturday morning. The Strip is usually busy on weekend mornings due to the traffic at the amazing selection of ethnic grocers along Penn Ave, but this was also St. Patrick's Day weekend, so revelers in green Steelers paraphernalia were out in full force. We got to Deluca's at 9:00 and were seated within 5 minutes. After that the wait would have been over an hour.

Deluca's is a typical greasy spoon diner with an exhaustive breakfast menu. I got corned beef hash which was nicely done. I especially liked the home fries which came with it as they had a fresh potato flavor, not frozen. Mr. Bimbap got the mixed grill with Italian sausage which he enjoyed. The waffle for the Bimbapino was rather flabby.

During my son's afternoon nap, I walked back into the Strip to pick up pastrami sandwiches at Primanti Brothers. In theory, this sandwich shouldn't work as the french fries and coleslaw included seem gimmicky, but in practice it was delicious. I think the factor is the coleslaw since it's dressed with vinegar rather than mayo.

Sunday morning breakfast was at Pamela's Diner, around the corner from Deluca's. This is more upscale than Deluca's, and the food reflected that. They are known for their "hotcakes" which are actually crepes. I had a short stack of them which consisted of two dinner plated-sized hotcakes. They were very light with nice crispy edges. My husband had his with strawberries and whipped cream and greatly enjoyed them.

Our final stop was at the La Prima Espresso Bar. My husband is a harsh judge of coffee, but this place did not disappoint him. He enjoyed his macchiato quite a bit. Do I seem like a rube because I was impressed that the place was being patronized by actual Italians? There was very little English spoken there.

I want to give a final shout-out to the very nice people of Pittsburgh. At every place we ate, there was someone at the next table who was so nice (especially since we had our rambunctious toddler) and one couple even gave us their name and number in case we needed some help around the city. Thank you, Pittsburgh!

As someone who went to school at Pitt and went to some great lengths to find good places for the friends/family that would come visit, here are my recommendations in/around the city:

Grand Concourse - Higher end seafood in an old train station with a great view of the river. Right at the end of Station Square.

Tessaros - One of the other posters mentioned this for their chicken sandwich, however, I think their burgers border on what we have here in Arlington at Ray's (without the fancy accoutrements). They have a butcher on the premises who grinds their meat daily. As its in Bloomfield and is definitely a neighborhood favorite, be prepared to wait for a seat.

Church Brew Works - As mentioned by many others, great beers. In terms of food stick with the pierogies and pizza which I always found excellent.

Fat Heads - Great sandwiches and thick cut chips on the South Side.

Tambellini's - Right across the bridge from PNC park. Tiny Italian place serving great italian american fare.

I won't go into the "O" or Primantis since many posters have already touched on them. Same with Pamelas.

As someone who went to school at Pitt and went to some great lengths to find good places for the friends/family that would come visit, here are my recommendations in/around the city:

Grand Concourse - Higher end seafood in an old train station with a great view of the river. Right at the end of Station Square.

Tessaros - One of the other posters mentioned this for their chicken sandwich, however, I think their burgers border on what we have here in Arlington at Ray's (without the fancy accoutrements). They have a butcher on the premises who grinds their meat daily. As its in Bloomfield and is definitely a neighborhood favorite, be prepared to wait for a seat.

Church Brew Works - As mentioned by many others, great beers. In terms of food stick with the pierogies and pizza which I always found excellent.

Fat Heads - Great sandwiches and thick cut chips on the South Side.

Tambellini's - Right across the bridge from PNC park. Tiny Italian place serving great italian american fare.

I won't go into the "O" or Primantis since many posters have already touched on them. Same with Pamelas.

Pizza Milano's in Oakland... and Bravo on Mcknight RD..then off to banana Joe's for a drink....if they are still open..I am a Pitt Alum also..Great city, Great Sports, Horrible Beer (Iron City)

Isn't it amazing how many of us have ties to Pburgh? My parents both grew up there, I spent my summers in Swissvale where my grandfather had a drug store. Never lived there till grad school at CMU....As far as Primantis goes - don't think I was ever there before 2:30 AM.....

Bangkok balcony, on Forbes, is some of the best Thai I've ever had. Been there 5+ times, and everything is always delicious. Nothing groundbreaking culinarily, but a very cool dining room and nice ambiance.

Hyeholde (http://www.hyeholde.com/) is the only restaurant in the city that's doing anything remotely interesting in terms of fine dining. In a building built in 1931, this is the best upscale restaurant in the city, and the only one that I would ever consider going to. A chef that genuinely loves what he does, very solid service, food grown on-site, and a boatload of passion make this a place worthy of spending the money to eat there- the only, singular, upscale place in Pittsburgh about which I will say that. It's not Komi, it's not Citronelle, but it's the closest that Pittsburgh has, and it's well-respected among the chefs at Culinary school there, which says something.

Le Pommier, on Carson St, on the South Side, is a very solid French Bistro. Solid cooking techniques, great service, and a nice wine list.

I hated Primanti Brother's when I tried it. It's definitely drunk-food. Also, everything shuts down ridiculously early in the city and surrounding area, so if you're hungry around 2am, there's veeeery little to get. Fast until the morning.

In September, I dined at Eleven at 1150 Smallman Street, and was really impressed by the quality of the ingredients and the cooking. The restaurant is the 11th restaurant opened in Pgh. by a group called "Big Burrito," which made me very skeptical when I checked it out beforehand on their website. But, the atmosphere was very tasteful -- modern, clean lines, but warmed by the use of wood, and by comfy chairs and a big fireplace near the hostess stand. Somewhat incongruously, there were also lots of big screen tvs in the bar areas, but the dining and bars areas were separated by enough space so that the dining experience was very comfortable. The menu emphasizes fresh and mostly local ingredients, with some slight suggestions of an asian influence. The server was extremely accommodating and careful to explain the ingredients in several dishes for one guest who could not eat any gluten products. The cooking and presentation was very high quality. I can't recall at this point what we ate, but all of it was delicious and well executed. It was nothing at all like any other restaurant experience I have had in Pittsburgh. The funniest thing was that I was in town for a trial, and every single out-of-town attorney involved in the case was there for dinner on the same night, so it must be the go-to place downtown for attorneys who like to eat well.

Eleven's a good place as well, though the food is wildly inconsistent because of insane staff turnover. While I was in school, just about everyone in my class worked in the kitchen there at some point in time. Derek Stevens has skills, though, no doubt.

Also, after my last trip there this week, I really have to stress one restaurant in particular to try- China Star on McKnight road, in McIntyre square. It's the best authentic Szechuan food I've ever had. I'm nomming on (leftover) beautifully prepared beef tongue and tripe right now, ordered alongside smoked pork belly and garlic greens, a steaming cauldron of clear soup with tofu and greens, and tan tan noodes. Highly, highly, highly recommended. I've been there at least 8 times and never had a dish that fell short of amazing. Great service, too- the owner still recognizes me though our last visit was in July.

Heading to Pittsburgh this weekend and looking to get a gift certificate at one of the nicer restaurants for an old coach and his wife. Any recommendations? My culinary scope when it comes to Pittsburgh (developed in college at Pitt) tends to lean towards Church Brew Works, Tessaros, and Primanti's with the only "fine" dining establishments I've spent much time in being the Georgetown Inn (more for the view than the food) and the Grand Concourse (haven't been in quite awhile).

Any input would be much appreciated.

Nice weekend in Pittsburgh. Dined at the Church Brew Works Friday night and while the food was fine and the beer really good, the smell inside was a bit much.

I'm told it is the beer making smell and I get that. But it hits you pretty hard as you enter and smells like a pet store, Made it tough to enjoy the meal completely, despite the food being good.

I went once 12 years ago, soon after they opened. Another time about 5 years ago. Enjoyed both, that's why I went back. But i don't recall any odor. I asked the waitress and she said "yeah, I know. When I'm away for a few days and return, it hits me too."

Maybe it was the time of year; they've been cooped up all winter and it'll air out over the summer. Maybe it is part of the charm. We took a few pieces of my son's leftover pizza back to the hotel room and I nibbled at midnight - and could taste it in the crust.

Really last minute, but I'm at a conference being held at hte HIlton in Pgh and would like to do a nice lunch nearby one day. My mom recommended Six Penn, and there's also Palomino nearby. Nothing else seems to be within walking distance and my schedule doesn't allow me to get further away. Are either worth it, even at lunch prices? Or is there something else you can suggest?

If I *coiuld* get away, any recommendations. Le Pommier interested me, and I think there's a nother place down there that gets good recs - Dish I think. Also trying to convince my mom to let me take her to Bistro 19 for an early mother's day, but not sure if we'll make it.

thanks!

I think I said it up thread, but it bears repeating; Il Pizzaiolo. It's in Mt. Lebanon about 10 minutes out of downtown Pittsburgh. Some of the best pizza and wine bar stuff you will ever eat, 'nuff said.

This will not help Choirgirl21 in the least...

I went to Il Pizzaiolo last summer, and found the pizza to be well above par for Neapolitan pizza, but on the same trip I had the pleasure of dining at Spacca Napoli in Chicago and found that the two pies we had there were better still.

Really last minute, but I'm at a conference being held at hte HIlton in Pgh and would like to do a nice lunch nearby one day. My mom recommended Six Penn, and there's also Palomino nearby. Nothing else seems to be within walking distance and my schedule doesn't allow me to get further away. Are either worth it, even at lunch prices? Or is there something else you can suggest?

If I *coiuld* get away, any recommendations. Le Pommier interested me, and I think there's a nother place down there that gets good recs - Dish I think. Also trying to convince my mom to let me take her to Bistro 19 for an early mother's day, but not sure if we'll make it.

thanks!

Le Pommier is like a 10 minute bus ride from downtown, as is a nice Spanish place called Mallorca (both on Carson St.). I've heard okay things about Six Penn, but never been.

Here is a link to the trip planner.

There's a nice Indian place on 5'th, between Liberty and Penn, as well. It's not upscale, but the lunch buffet is very good. Went there a lot while in school. India Palace, I believe, is the name. Montecello's also has pretty good pizza, and is close. Stay far away from Sree's.

Le Pommier is like a 10 minute bus ride from downtown, as is a nice Spanish place called Mallorca (both on Carson St.). I've heard okay things about Six Penn, but never been.

Here is a link to the trip planner.

There's a nice Indian place on 5'th, between Liberty and Penn, as well. It's not upscale, but the lunch buffet is very good. Went there a lot while in school. India Palace, I believe, is the name. Montecello's also has pretty good pizza, and is close. Stay far away from Sree's.

Thanks for the input. We seem to be getting less time than expected for all of our breaks, which is putting a damper on my eating plans, but if we have enough time for lunch tomorrow, I may try one of the places you mentioned. No South Side tonight after all though for the same reason. :lol:

I did end up at Six Penn for lunch. I made the mistake of ordering an app and a sandwich - the portions were ridiculous - but the truffled tator tots with garlic aioli were simple, but plain old yummy. Though the sides on my main lacked anything exceptional, the pulled pork sandwich with cilantro was good (although no sign of the tempura plantains that were listed on teh menu). Given the size of the orders, I wish I had gone iwth my original plan to get 2 apps, but it was a good (huge) lunch for just under $20. I wouldn't scream their name from the rooftops, but I would definitely go back. :D

Cultural pub crawl looms, better get moving.

I wanted to add that I ended up going to Eleven one evening. I opted for 2 apps for my meal, each paired with a glass of wine and had an outstanding experience. My first dish was the tuna tartare, which I would have never ordered save the recommendation from the bartender. It was a unique version, really tasty, and quite generous portion-wise. It paired really nicely with the featured gruner veltliner. My second dish had to be the pierogies w/a caramelized onion veal sauce off of the bar menu as I am a Pgh girl. I have to admit, as a polish girl who grew up eating pierogies, I'm often disappointed in "upscale" versions so I was a tad skeptical, but these were rich and delicious and paired really well with the syrah my server suggested. The other treat was the flavorful pile of chard they were placed on. The bartender was excellent and her pairings were spot on (n both cases she suggested the wine I was hoping to get, I think we must have had very similar palates). I was just really pleased with my experience in its entirety - I would have been happy to have had that meal in Baltimore or DC and the portions were quite a bit more generous than you'd encounter here.

As a native Yinzer, this comment made me go --> :lol:

:lol Well it never really came to fruition. That's the night I went to Eleven. I needed some down time so decided to go eat solo at Eleven then join the pub crawl late, except most people weren't participating so I hooked up with some people in the first bar I went into and we went back to the hospitality suite to have some free Church Brew Works beer instead. Apparently it was the right call. :D

Well I'm back in the 'burgh again. This time for some family stuff so not as much fun this time around, but I do have one question - anyone know of any good wine bars in the area, or restaurants that have an excellent wine program/sommelier? If I have time, I thought I might drop in somewhere to do some blind tasting practice. I'm in Greentree, on Noblestown Road so right off the Parkway and also can head into town via the West End Circle/Carson St so I would think downtown, South Side, and Mt. Washington would be the most accessible for me outside of the immediate area.

Thanks!

I think I said it up thread, but it bears repeating; Il Pizzaiolo. It's in Mt. Lebanon about 10 minutes out of downtown Pittsburgh. Some of the best pizza and wine bar stuff you will ever eat, 'nuff said.

Took me forever to make a side-trip to Il Pizzaiolo. Really nice little place, with a Mediterranean bistro vibe. The DOC Margherita pizza surprised me in two ways: it was presented already cut into slices (no big deal), and at first I thought it looked a smidge overtopped with tomato sauce. But one bite in and I was hooked...particularly by the flavor of the sauce. I don't care if the tomatos arrive in cans or what, but the sauce was terrifically full of tomato flavor. Baked to a nice medium-brown with appropriate blistering, and a nice soft chew everywhere else.

Great arancini too. Very small, and served in a bowl with a little tomato sauce on the bottom.

When pizza man says to go check out a pizza joint, you say 'yes', dammit.