The Helmand, Owner Quayum Karzi's Afghan at N. Charles and Madison Streets at Mount Vernon Square

For dinner, don't miss The Helmand, only about 5 min. drive from the inner harbor, straight up Charles Street.

The food is reasonably priced, with good size portions and incredibly tasty. Don't miss the kaddo borawni (baby pumpkin) and the Bowlani (leeks and potatoes in pastry) from appetizer menu and I'm partial to the lamb kabob or the beef tenderloin. Also said to have excellent Turkish coffee.

This place was in heavy rotation for the 4 years I was living in Baltimore.

The food and the value at the Helmand were outstanding. The only criticism I have is that there is not a lot of elbow room in the dining room. I was amused by the bathrooms with the birds indicating which room was for men and which was for women. I'd like to try the other two restaurants owned by the same guy - b and (Tapas Teatro?).

Went up there this weekend and the place was hopping

I decided to order three appetizers instead of getting an entree Kaddo borwani (baby pumpkin with sugar, and yogurt sauce)- very tasty with the amazing yogurt sauce to balance it out. However, without the yogurt sauce the pumpkin is cloyingly sweet, and would almost be better as some sort of dessert. Reminded me a little of eating sweet potatoes.

Aushak - sort of a ravioli with ground beef, leeks and yogurt sauce - very tasty and savory, but a bit on the rich side

Bowlawni - Reminded me of samosas - one with a potato filling the other with leeks. The potato was great and not too greasy - awesome with the mint sauce. The other one was leeks to the extreme. No one would want to kiss you after you ate one of these. I only ate about a quarter of this one.

The food was good, but it was a little better in my memory. But all that for $12 in a really nice atmosphere is pretty worthwhile.

Friday night dinner here with Bob, ahead of my convention. We were last here about seven years ago, and it hasn't changed much. The kaddo borwani, as others have mentioned, is a great starter; the Mantwo, a bit less so--the advertised pastry shells actually was just one, albeit good sized and easy enough to share. Bob's chicken kabob, served in a bowl with a not-too-spicy sauce and pallow, was okay; I liked my lamb special, with dried apricot, better. The accompanying challow is actually quite spicy, and the accompanying green sauce neutralizes that nicely. A cheap but drinkable Rioja was a good accompaniment to both; the desserts are skippable. The staff bustles about with efficiency; they seem well-trained to handle its popularity without losing friendliness. Better than average, but not great, food, yet very enjoyable and a good value overall.