Sodas Made With Cane Sugar

treznor

They are serving Boylans sugar cane cola.

Interesting. If I make the trek up to Silver Spring again I may have to try it out. I'm not quite old enough to remember the taste of cola made with cane sugar as opposed to high fructose corn syrup.

I'm not quite old enough to remember the taste of cola made with cane sugar as opposed to high fructose corn syrup.

Find "kosher for passover Coke", which is made with cane sugar rather than corn syrup. It should pop up on shelves around mid-March each year. I've found it in most Giants. It's only available in 2-liter bottles, and can be identified by the "OUP" (Orthodox Union Passover), or KP, or some kind of symbol (with a "P" following it) on the cap.

Any other flavors? Boylans has some great ones.
Mmmm, totally agree with you on that. Their diet black cherry soda can best be compared to Diet Dr. Pepper from back in the day (cue music here and a soft fade in) when they still used saccharine. I don't drink diet sodas because I hate nutrasweet and I generally just think they taste like crappy chemicals. But Diet Black Cherry Soda is a thing of wonder. (And, to confuse the issue with a TJ's thread, it is the ONLY thing that makes me go to TJ's--that's the only place I can find this elixir of the gods.)

But Diet Black Cherry Soda is a thing of wonder. (And, to confuse the issue with a TJ's thread, it is the ONLY thing that makes me go to TJ's--that's the only place I can find this elixir of the gods.)
I buy the Diet Black Cherry by the case from TJ when they have it. It sells out fast.

Find "kosher for passover Coke", which is made with cane sugar rather than corn syrup. It should pop up on shelves around mid-March each year. I've found it in most Giants. It's only available in 2-liter bottles, and can be identified by the "OUP" (Orthodox Union Passover), or KP, or some kind of symbol (with a "P" following it) on the cap.

Interesting. I wouldn't have thought that HFCS vs. cane sugar would make a difference in the Pareve status of the food (not that I really know very much at all about Kosher law) so I hadn't considered that being a possibility.

Interesting. I wouldn't have thought that HFCS vs. cane sugar would make a difference in the Pareve status of the food (not that I really know very much at all about Kosher law) so I hadn't considered that being a possibility.

It's not about being Pareve (neither milk nor meat). It's about being Kosher for Passover. According to some (Jews of Eastern European descent, to be specific), corn (and corn byproducts) are kitniyot and therefore not KP.

See http://www.donrockwell.com/index.php?showt...664&hl=passover. (Can't seem to make the hyperlink work, sorry...)

From the Hitchiker's Guide to the Ga... I mean, from Wikipedia:

Dublin Dr Pepper

The oldest Dr Pepper bottling plant is in Dublin, Texas, a small town 80 miles southwest of Fort Worth. In the 1970s, plant owner Bill Kloster (1918 – 1999) refused to convert the plant from cane sugar to less expensive corn syrup. Today the plant is still in operation, making Dr Pepper with real cane sugar. Dr Pepper of this nature is called Dublin Dr Pepper. Contractual requirements long limited the plant's distribution range to a 40-mile radius of Dublin, an area encompassing Stephenville, Tolar, Comanche, and Hico; however, sales to individual customers in non-commercial quantities were (and still are) allowed, and the plant sells its product over the Internet. The popular Texas restaurant Chicken Express boasts serving Dublin Dr Pepper.

Since 2003, Dublin Dr Pepper has expanded their distribution to most of Texas and the product available for direct sales via the Internet. Originally, the drink came in 8 fl. oz. glass bottles. It is also available in 12 fl. oz. cans produced by the Temple Bottling Company in the nearby city of Temple. These cans can be distinguished from normal Dr Pepper by the "Imperial Cane Sugar" labels on the front (also included on the bottles) and a tribute to Bill Kloster on the back.

There's also Cricket Cola, which uses cane sugar, if I remember correctly. Has a larger distribution in eateries than I have observed in Boylans. Can pick it up at Potbelly (But I was only there to get directions on how to get away from there). Has that whole green tea thing going, though, so be ready. I like it.

I think I've even seen Cricket at (gasp) Noodles Etc.

Various Boylan's sodas have also been available from time-to-time at Costco by the case. I adore their cane sugar cola, but wussed out and picked up a case of their delicious cream soda last time.

No need to head all the way over to Riverdale (or the Bethesda Co-op) for Mexican Coke; the area's pan-Asian supermarkets have evolved into little pan-cultural smorgasbords and it can be found at GrandMart.

The six-pack of Dublin Dr. Pepper I procured in Houston was really, really good...fizzier, with a "cleaner" sweetness that dissipated into the fruit flavors. However, the Dr. P I had in Canada (where they also use real sugar) was just as good, and a lot more reasonably priced. If only I had stopped for a few cases before driving back home! There's always next time.

From the Hitchiker's Guide to the Ga... I mean, from Wikipedia:

Dublin Dr Pepper

Since 2003, Dublin Dr Pepper has expanded their distribution to most of Texas and the product available for direct sales via the Internet. Originally, the drink came in 8 fl. oz. glass bottles. It is also available in 12 fl. oz. cans produced by the Temple Bottling Company in the nearby city of Temple. These cans can be distinguished from normal Dr Pepper by the "Imperial Cane Sugar" labels on the front (also included on the bottles) and a tribute to Bill Kloster on the back.

You can buy Dublin Dr. Pepper online from Old Doc's Soda Shop. I absolutely love this stuff!

Jolt Cola was made with real sugar (though not anymore) when I used to drink it, but it's tough to compare it to normal cola as all the caffeine made it bitter (though that was fixed by adding some Captain Crunch... um, don't try this at home...).

At the conference I was at in Chicago, they had Grown-up Soda as part of the beverage options for lunch. I had the Dry Cola, and it was quite tasty, although the Dry Ginger Ale looked awesome as well. I liked the fact that they use natural cane sugar and *less* of it at 24g per serving compared to some others. The only downside was that it's not as fizzy, even compared to Boylan's. The website stated that MoM's carried it, as well as Balducci's.

Anyone else tried the Pepsi and Mountain Dew "Throwback"?

They're part cane sugar and part beet sugar, but no HFCS.

I thought the Pepsi was quite good, but the MD had a bitter aftertaste, which reminded me too much of diet sodas.

At the conference I was at in Chicago, they had Grown-up Soda as part of the beverage options for lunch. I had the Dry Cola, and it was quite tasty, although the Dry Ginger Ale looked awesome as well. I liked the fact that they use natural cane sugar and *less* of it at 24g per serving compared to some others. The only downside was that it's not as fizzy, even compared to Boylan's. The website stated that MoM's carried it, as well as Balducci's.
wegmans has it as well.

I like Boylan's Root Beer. It's not quite as sweet as IBC and has sort of a dark caramel aftertaste that I really like :D
The best root beer in the world (fact not opinion) is Sprechers which used to be sold at Adega when I lived in Silver Spring.

The best root beer in the world (fact not opinion) is Sprechers which used to be sold at Adega when I lived in Silver Spring.
If you're willing to drive to Del Ray, The Dairy Godmother carries them and Sprecher's other varieties.

Saw this at "Serious Eats":

Pepsi Throwback Coming Back December 28

Due to popular demand, Pepsi Throwback is making a comeback. As you may recall, Throwback is Pepsi made with cane sugar rather than HFCS. Throwback will reappear December 28 for an eight-week run. If Pepsi Co. were a little smarter, it would extend the period through April 6, to cover Passover.

I am looking for a source for Mexican Coke in NOVA. Help will be appreciated.

I find it very interesting that this was the first piece of news on WTOP this morning when I turned on the radio - where to find Mexican Cola. No NoVa sources listed, but Cashion's Taqueria Nationale was mentioned as a source in DC - $1.20 each.

Anyone else tried the Pepsi and Mountain Dew "Throwback"?

They're part cane sugar and part beet sugar, but no HFCS.

I thought the Pepsi was quite good, but the MD had a bitter aftertaste, which reminded me too much of diet sodas.

Finally have, as I have not seen the "throwbacks" anywhere until this past week at the Lee-Harrison HT. There were only 2 12-can packs of Pepsi throwbacks left, and I took both, since HT was running a "buy one get one free" offer on Pepsi products. Did not see any MD throwbacks, so I didn't get a chance to try it. Pepsi cane sugar is closer to Coke in taste, without a gooey aftertaste. Agree with DanielK that it was quite good.

I live in Ashburn and am looking for a place that sells Mexican Coke... for those that do not know Mexican Coke is made with real cane sugar not HFCS (High-fructose corn syrup). In addition Passover Coke is made with real sugar... but it is only available during the high holidays. Yes you can taste the difference... Coke made in the US used to be made with real cane sugar... but import tariffs made that too expensive.

Nope, not import tariffs, subsidies to the sugar companies in the US forced prices up. Check with Grand Mart, they serve the Latino community, they may have it.

It's actually an import quota that brings sugar prices up, and subsidies for corn that bring HFCS prices down.

We bought a case of Mexican coke at the Fairfax Wegman's Friday. Approximately $26 for 24 12 ounce glass bottles.

I don't drink soda pop anymore, not even sugar free, but will occasionally taste one. This did not taste like old fashioned pre-new-Coke Coke to me. Actually a little more like Pepsi.

But my taste buds are not what they used to be. Still, who but someone over 50 is going to remember what Coke tasted like 50 years ago? I imagine that the essential oils (lime, cinnamon, what else?) are not what they used to be. The EU doesn't want products to contain certain real essential oils that can cause allergic reactions. Same problem with perfume. The formula had to change or the product could not be sold in the EU.

My 25 year old says it does taste better because it has sugar, like Kosher Coke.

While at Cochon Butcher in New Orleans, I ordered a glass bottle Coke to go with my medianoche (sublime with banana pepper aoli). After my first sip of silky, spicy, fuzzy nectar I knew: CANE SUGAR! Looking at the label confirmed that the drink was manufactured in Mexico using real sugar. Bliss.

Still, who but someone over 50 is going to remember what Coke tasted like 50 years ago? I imagine that the essential oils (lime, cinnamon, what else?) are not what they used to be. The EU doesn't want products to contain certain real essential oils that can cause allergic reactions. Same problem with perfume. The formula had to change or the product could not be sold in the EU.

First, I remember the taste of Coke from the late '50s and early '60s. We didn't have it very often, and probably more often had the syrup when we kids had tummy upsets. It was a very different taste from the Coke of today.

Second, I would think that, with all of the Coca Cola bottling plants around the world, that they can (and probably do) adjust the recipe to comply with local regulations or to appeal to local tastes. I suspect that the essential oils were more likely replaced with a less expensive substitute, just as the cane sugar was replace with HFCS.

That being said, maybe I should add "Mexican Coke" to my shopping list and give it a try.

We didn't have it very often, and probably more often had the syrup when we kids had tummy upsets. It was a very different taste from the Coke of today.

I remember the Coke syrup vividly. My mother usually gave it to me over crushed ice, since it was too strong otherwise. The last time I was able to locate actual Coke syrup (at least it tasted like the real thing...lol) was at a pharmacy in Greenbelt in the early 80s. I was very surprised to find it.