Quiet Business Dinner in South Dupont or Farragut North

NolaCaine

I am between lower dupont and upper farragut.

Want something very tasty with a decent wine list.   I"ll need seating for 4-6.  Walking distance is good but not vital. I like Vidalia but have been often recently.

Ideally ok with a dairy allergy.

I'd normally say the Oval Room, but since they are closed.... how about Decanter in the St. Regis, or Plume in the Jefferson? Both have good wine lists (exceptional in the case of Plume) and are in the area. I've not had a business dinner at Decanter, but have at Plume and it was a great venue.

We ended up at Marcel's and it was a very interesting experience.

Let me begin by saying it is beautiful and quiet. We went to a bit of an early dinner so that dining room was quite bright and sunny. The staff were all very friendly and welcoming. Our waitress was like a ballerina...a joy to watch. She was attractive, sure, but what made her difficult to turn away from was her absolute grace.  She moved like a dancer, gliding across the floor.

I was, however, not that impressed with the food.  I am not going to write a review in the Marcel's tread b/c it's been awhile since i dinned there and also because my experience was not common.

The amuse bouche was devine but the soup was way to creamy...thick and not summery at all. It was leek/potato and I did find it interesting that there was a lump of potato puree in the center of the bowl. That was good but the soup itself was unappetizingly creamy and yet bland.

Same with my fish.

Bland.

The dessert was fantastic but what's not to love about chocolate.

For those familiar with Marcel's, you'll notice that we did pre-theater rather than the 4-course tasting and maybe that's where we went wrong. However, I love the shorter menues and have had great pre-theater, restaurant week, pre fixe meals all over this city.

I digress. It was quite.

I appreciate the suggestions.

We ended up at Marcel's and it was a very interesting experience.

Let me begin by saying it is beautiful and quiet. We went to a bit of an early dinner so that dining room was quite bright and sunny. The staff were all very friendly and welcoming. Our waitress was like a ballerina...a joy to watch. She was attractive, sure, but what made her difficult to turn away from was her absolute grace.  She moved like a dancer, gliding across the floor.

I was, however, not that impressed with the food.  I am not going to write a review in the Marcel's tread b/c it's been awhile since i dinned there and also because my experience was not common.

The amuse bouche was devine but the soup was way to creamy...thick and not summery at all. It was leek/potato and I did find it interesting that there was a lump of potato puree in the center of the bowl. That was good but the soup itself was unappetizingly creamy and yet bland.

Same with my fish.

Bland.

The dessert was fantastic but what's not to love about chocolate.

For those familiar with Marcel's, you'll notice that we did pre-theater rather than the 4-course tasting and maybe that's where we went wrong. However, I love the shorter menues and have had great pre-theater, restaurant week, pre fixe meals all over this city.

I digress. It was quite.

I appreciate the suggestions.

Thanks for the feedback - this may well be the first entirely negative review of Marcel's food ever written here, but there has been precious little written for a long time. I take what you write seriously, and thanks again for the follow-up.