mdt

I won't offer a specific choice but would say the type that flip over in mid-preparation should be given a lot of consideration.  It's arguably the key to the best waffle, and I believe many/most "real" waffle shops use them.  Gravity is a wonderful thing but it can work for you or against you, so why not take advantage and go with the former.

Note: Looking at those B Too photos, it appears theirs is indeed a flipper.

We have a Waring flipper.  It works marvelously well with the Fanny Farmer Cookbook's yeast-raised waffles, though I add vanilla and some extra sugar to the batter on the day of cooking.

Do not expect the flipper to be a lifetime purchase -- the home models tend to have cheap plastic that can get deformed and break over time.  It is possible that where we store it has something to do with the short lives of ours (there is a cast iron griddle in the same cabinet and family members may be responsible for shoving things around in there roughly) but we are on # 2 in 12 years and #2 has one piece of plastic broken but still works fine.

I'm reticent to commit to another appliance in our kitchen... But I have a hankering for a Belgian waffles (a hankering supported by my wife). Any DR members have a recommendation for a basic model they like? Currently I'm eyeing a cuisinart model at Sur la Table that runs 60 bucks. But I could be convinced to get a more expensive model if it's worth the expenditure. Thanks in advance!

On 4/2/2016 at 2:07 PM, acgator said:

I'm reticent to commit to another appliance in our kitchen... But I have a hankering for a Belgian waffles (a hankering supported by my wife). Any DR members have a recommendation for a basic model they like? Currently I'm eyeing a cuisinart model at Sur la Table that runs 60 bucks. But I could be convinced to get a more expensive model if it's worth the expenditure. Thanks in advance!

I would say you can have my husbands, but he will swear he is going to use it.

As I think about the waffle iron in my cabinet that hasn't been used in about ten years (give or take one use): There should be a service for renting small kitchen appliances for short time periods- waffle irons, ice cream makers, kitchen aid add on appliances, juicers, vacuum sealers, pressure canners, etc.  The service delivers and picks it up from you charges for delivery and cleaning, it doesn't take up your valuable cabinet or countertop space.  You don't feel bad about not using it.

• Like 1

I rarely make waffles, for the simple reason that my waffle iron is difficult to clean. But when a long-simmering fascination with liège waffles came to a boil, I bought a Croquade. The irons are removable, making cleanup easy. I can't report on its longevity yet but so far I love the waffles it's producing.

ps about liège waffles: they're sweet brioche dough baked in a waffle iron. I've been working with this recipe, which with a bit of tweaking gives a fine result. It helps to be familiar with brioche.

• Like 1