Dino, Dean Gold and Kay Zimmerman's Italian Enoteca in Cleveland Park with Beverage Director Fabian Malone - Closed

While a move is entirely possible, {we are getting nowhere with our landlord on a reasonable renewal rate}, the MD suburbs are not very likely due to lack of interest from the folk I know who want to be a financial part of our future. Most interest is for us to move in DC to parts south and east of us.

Say it isn't so - CP will miss you too much! So just to prepare those of us in the hood when is the lease up? :(

From this week's newsletter - made me laugh:

Family Style Dining Post Thanksgiving November 25 thru December 1

We know you have leftovers, but who wants leftovers when you can have good stuff at Dino. We will offer up a family style meal for $30 per person: meatballs, soup or salad, risotto, beef cannelloni & chicken, tiramisu or gelato for dessert. You can have any or all of the dishes served communally, and you can have seconds {and thirds? Daniel K PLEASE DON"T BRING Z~ that kid can eat!!} We do ask that the whole table orders the family style meal {kids as always can order from the kids menu or nibble from the family portions ~ kids up to $12 pay their age}.

Dean's email mentioning the "Nutella French Toast" prompted the fiance and I to walk up the street to Dino for brunch this past Sunday. Once seated some of the other menu options caught our eyes (and stomachs), but I will be back b/c nutella & french toast sounds like a winning combo. A few thoughts:

-Their fall cocktails are tremendous. We shared the Pumpkin Pie and Warm Apple Cider cocktails and both were winners (my memory is foggy on what was in each, and the website doesn't list all the current cocktails).

-The trotter tots are delicious, they're served as 5 or 6 small nuggets on the plate and at first I thought "this is it?". After inhaling them, I realized its the perfect serving size b/c they're very rich...I will be getting these again.

-I also had the savory bread pudding with sausage and seasonal veggies...served in a gratin dish, this reminded me of the strata that my family makes each Christmas. Extremely creamy with just the right amount of crispness on the top. Again, very rich and a very generous portion.

-Closed out with a Great Lakes Christmas Ale which was probably unecessary, but I can't help myself when I see it on the beer lists.

So after all that we basically rolled home and were still full come dinner time. All in brunch, with 2 cocktails and a beer, came to about 75 bucks (with tip/tax) which I think is very reasonable. I need to get Dino back into my regular rotation b/c as a Cleveland Park resident, particularly after reading the above and the potential landlord issue, I sometimes forget (even in this new restaurant renaissance we're having) that we're lucky to have Dino within walking distance.

Tonight & Tomorrow

White Truffles!

Rosticciana {Grilled EcoFriendly Spareribs with Dino Spice Rub ~ we are finally getting enough ribs from Bev Eggleston to keep this on the menu regularly}

Free Corkage & $18 wine special

After Thanksgiving Family Style Meal

Served communally thru Thursday December 1

Soup ~ salad ~ meatballs

Chicken, Risotto & Beef Cannelloni

Tiramisu or Gelato

Seconds available

$30 Per person

Wine Madness+ {wines $50+ are 33% off ~ wines $100+ are 50% off}

Free corkage & $18 wine specials

December 15 thru 24

Feast of the 7 Fish

$49 per person / $20 for kids

Menu and details

regular menu also available

December 20 thru 28

Hanukkah Menu

$45/per person / kids $20

Potato treats

Duck Schmaltz Matzoh Ball soup

Olive Oil Pan roasted Chicken w/Garlic, citrus & ginger

Olive Oil Cake or dessert selection.

regular menu also available

New Year's Eve

Special 5 course menu plus Prosecco Toast, Amuse & Chocolate Truffles

$59 if reserved from 4:30 'til 5:45 / $75 per person 6:00pm 'til 10:30pm

Wine Flights: Damned Good $45 / OMFG! {Oh my, fine grapes!!} $75

Menu & Details

regular menu is NOT available

If you think Valentines Day is a night of food & love? 4 courses dinner for $59. Dare you to reserve for 3 {be like Newt!} Menu & Details here

On the other hand, it you regard it as Amateur Night... then try our emminently sharable dinner for 2 for $99, or $125 with two flutes of Bella Vista Franciacortia Brut for $125 from Friday February 10 thru Monday February 13 {Wine Madness Sunday and Monday too: wines $50+ 33% off!} Menu here

Lest anyone think I am over self promoting, Don approved of this post

We walked into Dino in our grubby painting gear: jeans with white paint on them and sweatshirts. It was still restaurant week, something I forgot and Sunday night of MLK weekend. We didn't want the RW menu, except for the amazing looking huge T-bone steak that they just ran out of when we got there! Bah it looked so good. But we were graciously welcomed to the bar. It is always really nice to have Dino around because they do gluten free so easily and my SIL really needs to eat GF, while I need to sometimes, as well.

I started with really fantastic and tender meatballs. I have been really craving meatballs for the past month or so, and these were exactly the type I was craving, rustic, but expertly prepared. I didn't share. I did steal a taste of my brothers pork belly which was quite good and ate the rest of my Mother's salad, which was lightly dressed just the way I like greens dressed.

For dinner I had local sauteed greens and duck neck sausage and scrapple. The scrapple was awesome, I loved it. The sauteed greens were flavorful but not over cooked, full of flavor.

I also stole some of my Mom's pork ribs which were tender, rustic and beautiful. And from my SIL who got the wild boar ragu over risotto. Really nice to know that they can put sauces like this over top risotto for people who so want it. I have had them put stuff over polenta too. Really versatile and so good. And the service was spectacular, even on the hellacious week of RW. And it is just nice to have a relaxing place to go after a long day of painting, where no one cares if you are in a tux or jeans with paint on them.

We were there for RW week, too. +1 had the venison which was marvelous. Beautiful and delicious. And we took advantage of the 33% off wine over $50. I can't recall what we had, but is was a luscious wine, at a super price.

But if you want to eat at Dino outside of RW, it's really easy to have a fantastic meal for $35.

Four of us had another fine meal at Dino this past Saturday evening - I was able to grab a same-day reservation which I always appreciate. A couple of roaring cocktails launched the fun for half our group (Ginger's Cherry & Budda's Backhand, the naming of which I decline to speculate upon). Some of the dinner highlights included the deep-fried baby artichokes (eaten whole); risotto with salumi (rich and creamy, if a bit salty); local yellow perch (whole fish, fried lightly crisp, very tasty but watch the bones); and the outstandingly flavorful Peposo (short rib stew). This is my kind of Italian comfort food, tasty and unfussy.

Dino feels like a true neighborhood restaurant to me - I love that I can walk (and stumble home after too much wine), and I regularly run into friends and neighbors there. The price point is right - you can eat and drink very well and quite economically if you choose, or if you're feeling flush you can roam the menus more freely and allow the tab to run up.

Dave

A few notable items new on the menu tonight:

Snakehead: Just a few years ago there was one snakehead found in Wheaton Regional Park. In the past week, 700 pounds of the fish were caught in the Potomac. So thanks to a knucklehead tossing a fish or two into a creek, the Chesapeake ecosystem faces a major threat. But we can eat the snakeheads before they eat the Rockfish and crab's food sources! Wrapped in prosciutto and served with a saffron mussel stew.

Soft Shell crabs, grilled. Not cheap but incredible!

Beet Risotto with beet greens, Gorgonzola & Italian Hazelnuts

A couple of roaring cocktails launched the fun for half our group (Ginger's Cherry & Budda's Backhand, the naming of which I decline to speculate upon)

I am not sure what you are possibly referring to... they were named after a lot of recipe development and the names seemed entirely appropriate at the time :rolleyes: The Buddha's Backhand is made with house infused Buddha's Hand and we have a limited about of that, but we have several other Buddha's Hand infusions so look for Buddha's Forehand, Top Spin lob etc to follow!

{I'm just farking glad Ric remembered the recipes after his burst of creativity}.

There may be some other restaurants offering this dish right now, but it's significant that the first time I've ever seen one was yesterday at Dino (it will also be there today and possibly tomorrow).

I know Scott Drewno has been making them from time to time, but I'm not sure if it's only at special events, or if it was actually offered at The Source.

Dean told me he found it once at New Big Wong in Chinatown.

If ever there were a fish not to feel guilty about eating, it's this pit bull. Have at 'em, fishermen!

---

(Let's please keep this thread limited to restaurants offering the fish; for other threads (including one of mine from 2004(!)), click here.)

We just scored some more for the weekend! Also the softies, from Georgia and Florida, are really wonderful. Lot's of seafood on the menu.

Even if it doesn't make it on to many of the critics' lists of late doesn't mean that Dino isn't a damn likable restaurant in many ways. For starters, the new bartender, Rick Newton, is whipping up some really well-mixed cocktails; the classic Negroni steers clear of a heavier red vermouth and is all the more refreshing for it; Buddha's Backhand is extraordinarily well-balanced. That beet risotto is near-perfect (except for the slightest bit of over-salting), and I loved the crispiness of the skin on the duck leg salad. On the other hand, our entrees last night seemed a bit sloppy and uninspired in presentation. Bob's mackerel had a dab of sauce that was at best perfunctory, and the duck breast simply looked brown (plus I should have heeded the note about its thick fat layer more seriously). The desserts were tasty but a little uninspired (the saffron panna cotta being unavailable). And the service was erratic and cluttered. After we got our cocktails and had a chat about wine with our server, he disappeared until the end of the meal, and I had to flag down other staff to order wine--and that after the entrees were delivered. Frustrating. But overall there is something so good-natured about the place--not least, its proprietor--that even with the flaws and at times overwhelmingly broad menu, one sense it's the sort of place that more DC neighborhoods would kill to have, and that helps explain its popularity. Sometimes those "best of" lists can't tell the whole story.

^Say hi next time. :) If you two were sitting next to us, then your waiter was the new guy. He was nice enough that I was willing to cut him a lot of slack, but he needs some training for sure. And amen to your last sentence.

Ha! Yeah, it was pretty obvious he wasn't fully up to speed on the menu, but he was friendly and eager; just a bit overwhelmed and didn't seem to know quite how to read his tables. But we left a full 20% tip anyway.

Sounds like we had an off night in the kitchen when you folk were here. I hate when that happens!

On the waiter issue, I have to take the hit for that. Robert is new and we didn't tell him in advance of how to handle certain things on the floor.

The saffron panna cotta will be back as soon as my smuggler saffron king gets me more Iranian saffron. I have used the line the check is in the mail.. he saiy the saffron is too.

Of course, I'll still respect you all in the morning.

Dean did a great job with our wine dinner last night. Food and service were all wonderful and everyone had a great time! Thanks again Dean and Dino.

Anyone who arranges a group that brings in Fontaloro 2001, Nardi & Collosorbo 1999 Brunello, etc. etc. is a pelasure to have! There was also some French swill too {do they still make wine there? Senecca observed almost 2000 years ago that the only thing that was made near Lyon was bad wine and bad emperors... <_< }

Well we took the plunge and ordered the snakefish last night. If I had my eyes closed, I would have thought I was eating a nice piece of mild swordfish, very nice and the accomping sauce and mussels paired well with it. Our other standout was the Duck Salad, crisp on a bed of argula!

Also went to Dino over the weekend. No complaints about the food, but the service was horrible. Our waiter was totally incompetent, not that we saw much of him (but we did get a lovely view of his gray briefs sticking out of the back of his pants.). Luckily another waitress stopped by our table several times to check on us and do our waiters job. (not sure her name, but she was a very nice friendly blonde girl). Even the busboy/food runner pitched in and brought out the dessert menus. It wasn't just us, the table next to us sat there for 15 minutes before he came over to their table for the first time for drink orders. Not sure if this is the same new guy mentioned above, (we were never told his name), but if so he needs alot more training.

Also went to Dino over the weekend. No complaints about the food, but the service was horrible. Our waiter was totally incompetent, not that we saw much of him (but we did get a lovely view of his gray briefs sticking out of the back of his pants.). Luckily another waitress stopped by our table several times to check on us and do our waiters job. (not sure her name, but she was a very nice friendly blonde girl). Even the busboy/food runner pitched in and brought out the dessert menus. It wasn't just us, the table next to us sat there for 15 minutes before he came over to their table for the first time for drink orders. Not sure if this is the same new guy mentioned above, (we were never told his name), but if so he needs alot more training.

Actually he has had about as much training as we could spare and he is no longer with us. He had improved but yesterday was just he limit. He had 4 tables and he had also ha 3 weeks of training.

Last Saturday, we went to Dino to for dinner. As others have commented above, we had some service issues with our male waiter per Dean apparently is no longer working there. Its tough to find good help I guess. That being said, Dean and the other staff went above and beyond to compensate for the service issues. That didn't surprise me as over the many years Dino has been opens I've found the service to always be rather good and very friendly.

We had a 3 cheese course which was pretty good. Nice portions fo cheese which was refreshing compared to some other restaurants that serve a postage stamp size piece of cheese that is good for maybe 2 bites if cut it and really savor it. I don't remember the specific cheeses but 2 were pretty good and 1 was just so so (it was wrapped in a fig leaf and the menu said hard to get).

Then we tried a bunch of newer menu items. We then had half-orders of pasta/risotto. My wife had the beet risotto that seemed like a odd combo to us - but really worked. Great dish if you are a beet fan. I had the AMAAAZZZINNG Mushroom pasta. If you like mushrooms, run, don't walk to Dino and get this dish! Mushroom dishes have always turned out great at Dino. This bowl of ragged wide rectangles of fresh pasta with a nice sauce packed with mushrooms had tons of flavor and a nice heat in the background. This is the best dish I've had in a while and I keep trying to find time to get back there soon and eat it again. Bravo to the chef for this one.

Then, we had the cabbage rolls and cervo venison. Cabbage rolls were a nice vegetarian (vegan?) dish which showed off both Dean's Jewish and Italian influences. Inside the crisp, but soft rolls was mixture of lentils, grains, and dried fruit and on top was a nice light tomato sauce. Rather tasty for a vegetarian dish. Another thing that Dino has always done well is offer a wide variety of thoughtful veggie options. The cervo was a hit and a miss. The side salad of greens mixed with ginger was excellent with a spicy zing. However, the venison medallions were not very tender and I could have used a sharper knife. The sauce and "tuscan mole" was a nice flavor combo, but could have been a bit stronger because the meat wasn't that flavorful.

Overall, one really awesome dish - by itself making it worth the trip and some other pretty good things. Lastly, the wine by the glass I had was truly "delightful" (the second delightful on the menu). Wine also another strength of Dino. Thanks for the recommendations Dean.

Apparently there was a convention of DRers at Dino this weekend.

What did the little guy's favorite aunt give him for his 5th birthday? The living social deal for Dino. He was delighted to take us out to dinner with it.

He had meatballs, polenta with mushrooms, gelato and a good bit of our dinners as well. The griddled bacon was a winner at our table. The cheeses were lovely as always. The carbonara pasta was not a hit at the table but I apparently had failed menu reading 101 so that was my fault, not the kitchen's. I also failed to realize the dessert I ordered was frozen solid. Tasty but frozen.

Our service was slow but cheerful. No real issues there. But I have to remember not to sit upstairs. It was really loud.

It was a lovely evening overall.

From Tujajge's post tot he last, We were in our last 10 days of a Living Social. Please understand, I am in no way offering this as an excuse, I decided to do the living social and I am responsible for the effects. But here are a few statistics from someone who has done 3 {and hopefully no more,} about the end of the promotion:

Our customer count was 1800 a normal count of 1160.

Our average check was $29.00 against a normal $37

439 living socials were redemed covering about 1200 of those covers so the average discount from our normal average was about $12 per person... menaing that while a lot of folk spent more than the normal average, as a whole most folk with a living specialwere spening about $50 to $70 a couple in the last 10 days. Well over 100 checls were rung for $10 or less, meaning the total check before tax for 2 {and a few three} was $5.

Just thought folk might like to know one restaurant's experience.

Don, feel free to move this post to another thread if its more appropriate. Having just knocked out 120 gefilte fish balls for tomorrow, I am off to make 200 or so matzo balls. So to all who celebrate Passover... have a freaking happy one! :rolleyes:

From Tujajge's post tot he last, We were in our last 10 days of a Living Social. Please understand, I am in no way offering this as an excuse, I decided to do the living social and I am responsible for the effects. But here are a few statistics from someone who has done 3 {and hopefully no more,} about the end of the promotion:

Our customer count was 1800 a normal count of 1160.

Our average check was $29.00 against a normal $37

439 living socials were redemed covering about 1200 of those covers so the average discount from our normal average was about $12 per person... menaing that while a lot of folk spent more than the normal average, as a whole most folk with a living specialwere spening about $50 to $70 a couple in the last 10 days. Well over 100 checls were rung for $10 or less, meaning the total check before tax for 2 {and a few three} was $5.

Just thought folk might like to know one restaurant's experience.

Don, feel free to move this post to another thread if its more appropriate. Having just knocked out 120 gefilte fish balls for tomorrow, I am off to make 200 or so matzo balls. So to all who celebrate Passover... have a freaking happy one! :rolleyes:

Very interesting--thanks for sharing the stats, Dean. Two questions:

1. Given this was your 3rd foray into coupon discounting, would you do it again. The above doesn't make a very compelling case.

2. Are those matzo balls going to be on the menu tonight/tomorrow? :P

Yes, the Matzoh balls and gefilte fish, traditional Easter Foods that they are, are ont he menu tomorrow brunch and dinner.

As to the living social, it's hard to say if they are worth doing, but when you need an injection of cash flow, you do them. The statistics don't show what our comps were in the final weeks, {up nicely, probably enough to cover the extra labor and food we bought}. I hope we aren't again in a position where we have to look to high cost forms of financing again. So over the time we did living socials, we had a good move up in financial performance and now we will see, for the first time in almost 2 years, what its like to operate without LS.

Burger & A Brew for $15 all night long, Table or Bar

Monday Night April 23 thru Wednesday April 25

The headline pretty much says it all. Monday thru Wednesday this week, join us for Burger & a Brew for $15 all night long. But the story behind the headline is what makes the deal even better.

The Beef: local farms pastured beef that is whole grain finished on small family farms. No large feedlots with acres of cows standing in what cows stand in on fed lots. No Monsanto-Big Ag corn feed stripped of all its salable parts before feeding what's left over to the cows! These farms use locally grown grains or grow their own. No antibiotics or growth hormones or other artificial growth promoters that make beef fat but yield no real flavor. the beef is butchered locally & dry aged. We use 10 ounces to make the patty.

The Bread: we use Tribecca Oven ciabatta for our bread. A bun would simply melt under the juce. We grill the bun and stuff it with our fabulous toppings.

The Anchovy Sriracha: we make this umami bomb of a topping with a bit of spice from the Sriracha {the stuff with the green rooster on the bottle} and from grated fresh ginger. The anchovies are Sicilian, packed in glass the old fashioned way: cooked at a lower temperature than modern canned foods to preserve texture and flavor. This is an offer you really can't refuse!

The House Relish is made from our house pickles & honey. Sorry, no posassium sorbate or sodium benzoate available, nor artificial colors or the myriad chemicals that can be put unlabeled into processed foods.

The Cheese: Prairie Breeze from Milton Creamery in the Midwest. This family owned and operated cremery uses local Amish grown cows for the milk. The cheese uses both Cheddar and Gouda techniques in its recipe, so it is a truly unique cheese.

The Add ons: assorted exotic mushrooms +4 ~ pepper bacon or Gorgonzola dolce ~ +2 ea ~ caramelized onions +1 can all be added on for flavor.

The Optional Bacon: we use a Berkshire pork bacon, naturally & slowly cured, sliced thick for flavor.

The Brew: any of our local craft brews or Menabrea

The Hype: Don't take our word on it: DMV Burger Wars, a Website dedicated to all things burger has rated over 100 burgers in the DC Area. Dino is their #5 ranked burger, and one of only seven burgers to snare their top rating: five out of a possible five star rating! Not bad company to keep!

Very good burger. Very good value.

Enticed by Dean's post above, we went in tonight to partake of le burger du dino. A few thoughts beyond the above six words which pretty much sum things up:

- the deal isn't on the menu so we figured it's an online-only type promo; just have to know to ask the server for it

- it's a large hunk of beef; maybe close to double the weight of the Palena burger which can't really be meaningfully compared to this version

- between the cheese and the anchovy sriracha, there's a fair amount going on atop this burger (kind of a chopped beef analog to the vast and varied menu but that's a digression) even without extra toppings (i got carmelized onion). not sure I fully appreciated all the elements but, all in, flavor was there

- the ciabatta is a good quality bread with nice crust and air pockets. on one hand, definitely holds up to the burger. on the other, that's a lotta bread!

- the relish was addictive and impossible to decipher. had to recheck the post above to see what it was (pickles and honey). beige color. I guess pickled something-other-than-cucumber; maybe ramps

- can't substitute a glass of wine for the brew portion of this. fair enough. as advertised. I mention it just because I asked so found out.

- greens served with the burger were very underdressed but this is a small thing that wasn't at all an issue the last time my +1 had this at brunch recently. no doubt they'd have brought some extra dressing for us had we asked, which we didn't

- burger without brew as on the menu is $12; that's what we both ended up ordering. again, very good value.

- server was friendly, very nice but also clearly new so not fair to comment much on service; all came out in the wash

I won't weigh in the "dmv burger wars" link Dean provided or relative rankings and comparisons of DC burgers for this post. I like my burgers without any conflict. Suffice to say, this was good. We enjoyed them. We'd definitely order 'em again.

We had a burger last night (at the bar)...fine quality beef, cooked perfectly as requested. Yes, there's a lot of (good quality) bread in ciabatta form; I don't think there's a regular bun that could stand up to this hunk of beef, so it's a nice choice.

I also enjoyed my crispy duck leg "salad," as well as my grilled soft-shell crab (with a Virginia provenance).

Had a nice conversation with Dean about crabs and seafood in general - he mentioned that crabs have rebounded nicely, a good thing. A couple of nice cocktails at the bar as well, made for a fun evening.

Dinner last night was excellent - I can't say much that hasn't been said except that the mussels were better than any I've had...ever. They almost seemed like a different 'thing', they were bigger (relative to their shell) and more tender than any I've had before.

As importantly, my kids (8 and 11) were made to feel welcome while not put in a position of bugging other diners. When with the kids, we try to be early and 'hustle through' and the service was spot on. That's not to say we were rushed, rather that the pacing was perfect for that sitiation - no idle time for the kids to do the devil's work.

Lastly, Dean and I were able to confirm our mutual and complete disdain for all things Thomas Kincade despite our deleted thread that might've led one to believe otherwise.

Looking forward to exploring the rest of the menu.

Beet Risotto with beet greens, Gorgonzola & Italian Hazelnuts

Dean, Another great meal at Dino last Saturday eve as always. But, I have a question re the beet risotto. Are the hazelnuts in the risotto supposed to be noticeable? I didn't notice them and am wondering whether perhaps they might have been inadvertently left out (or whether they are just integrated into the dish so that one wouldn't necessarily notice them). We had a new server who we had, I think, challenged enough with questions she wasn't quite sure about the answers to yet, so I decided to save this one for you. Would have asked you on the way out, but didn't see you this time (a first for us, I think). Thanks.

Dean, Another great meal at Dino last Saturday eve as always. But, I have a question re the beet risotto. Are the hazelnuts in the risotto supposed to be noticeable? I didn't notice them and am wondering whether perhaps they might have been inadvertently left out (or whether they are just integrated into the dish so that one wouldn't necessarily notice them). We had a new server who we had, I think, challenged enough with questions she wasn't quite sure about the answers to yet, so I decided to save this one for you. Would have asked you on the way out, but didn't see you this time (a first for us, I think). Thanks.

I had this dish the last time I was at Dino, and they were very integrated, although you could certainly find them if you were looking. More importantly, the Gorgonzola was an undertone, not a dominator - way too often, restaurants, particularly in a subtle dish such as risotto (which absorbs and amplifies every flavor in it) use blue cheese like it was hot fudge being poured on top of a sundae. With blue cheese, less is more, at least for me - it is one of the most overused items of any type in the restaurant world.

I like the hazelnut to be fairly finely chopped so it is a more subtle flavor, with a few larger bits for crunch. Not looking at the nuts on Saturday in particular, can't tell you if it was as supposed to be.

We were there on Saturday night, but I was buried in the office working on an update to the menu design. We are doing a lot of house charcuterie and I want to get it in a more prominent position menu wise, instead of being scattered.

I like the hazelnut to be fairly finely chopped so it is a more subtle flavor, with a few larger bits for crunch. Not looking at the nuts on Saturday in particular, can't tell you if it was as supposed to be. We were there on Saturday night, but I was buried in the office working on an update to the menu design. We are doing a lot of house charcuterie and I want to get it in a more prominent position menu wise, instead of being scattered.

Thanks for the explanation, Dean. Certainly no crunch, and didn't notice a hazelnut flavor (even a subtle one), but, having never had the dish before, can't say for sure. Enjoyed it regardless. Look forward to seeing the updated menu design.

Last night, Significant Eater enjoyed a blackberry "Bellini" while I sipped a more boozy Luca Brasi (aka Sleeping with the Sustainable Fishes), a Manhattan-ish cocktail with just a hint of Maraschino.

Our starters included the delicious and tender fried calamari and a half-portion of the properly sauced "sugo" on fettucini, and for a main course we split a full order of real Maryland crab cakes (along with a side of young and grassy pea shoots).

There appear to be loads of specials coming up in July; it's hard to keep up with everything going on here, but certainly the web site appears to be an excellent source of info.

I wish more restaurateurs/chefs were as involved and as creative with their restaurants as these two are. It may not always be perfect, but it's always good value and they're always trying hard to please the customer...is there much more to ask for?

Yep!

And just in: Grilled local apricots... we got one flat from Path Valley. Pancetta wrapped, mascarpone & Saba drizzle

Are you going to be making any liqueurs with the 'cots (depending on their availability, of course)?

Are you going to be making any liqueurs with the 'cots (depending on their availability, of course)?

Right now, I can't get any more fo the weeken... will decide as we see what is up. Last year we only got two small flats. Rigt now we ahve local blueberry gin, raspberry somehting or other, blackberry rum nas well as fruit syrups made in house. Plus amazing strawberry cello. Need more room!

We have power, Great Lakes Erie Monster on tap, and Border Springs Lamb Shank with pancetta wrapped radicchio:

I had the lamb shank last night. Was it good? Well, let's say that at the end of the course, the plate was pretty much clean. Oh, and that radicchio? Oh so good!

Nothing like waiting until the last minute but we finally made it on Monday to Dino for the Montalcino anniversary dinner and I'm so glad we did. One tasty course after another with very good wines to match. A very good start with the free anniversary wine, a 1997 Ridge Syrah (I know, not terribly Tuscan but excellent nonetheless). I enjoyed my lamb crostini duo while my wife enjoyed her Bruschetta di Pomodoro. We both then had the Cinghiale Bianco, followed by the Scottiglia, which was great. The only bad part of the meal was that we were so full by the end, it was tough to appreciate the cheese course fully. If you see any of these on the menu, they are definitely worth your consideration.

We're off to Montalcino in early September so this was a very pleasant hint of what to expect.

We have begun our Month of Restaurant Week. Full menu, 3 courses for $35.12. Come in by the 12th and get a coupon good on a return visit {$10 off for 2, $25 off for 4} good in September {7 ~ 30, excluding Saturdays and the Jewish holidays 16, 17, 25, 26},

All the dishes mentioned by jpbloom will are on our menu for August. Plus a few seasonal dishes:

grilled_peach.jpg

Grilled Heyser's White peaches on Truck Patch Pork Belly w/anchovy & rosemary salsa w/Carandini balsamico

beet_salad.jpg

Tuscarora Chioggia & red beets, Tuscarora cukes, Path Valley spicy greens, citrusy yougurt, black cumin spiced walnuts, house pickeled balsamico onions, crispy ginger shreds

Aglione.jpg

all'Aglione: "The Big Garlic" Roasted & fresh garlic, local heirloom & cherry tomatoes, pappardelle