Dino, Dean Gold and Kay Zimmerman's Italian Enoteca in Cleveland Park with Beverage Director Fabian Malone - Closed

One must support the farmers regardless of the whims of Mother Nature. <--- That's a preview of an upcoming article I wrote.

We were talking to The Farms at Sunnyside {the one in Little Washington at the north end of the Dupont market} when they told us that they had lost 3,000 tomato plants in 5 minutes of hail. The life of a farmer!

Tempted by the lure of grilled apricots, we made the trek from Fairfax to Cleveland Park. It was worth the trip.

The apricots were as big as peaches, sliced in half, wrapped with thin slices of pancetta, grilled until the pancetta was crispy, and served with a dollop of creamy mascarpone in the middle. Apricots are a fleeting pleasure, perfectly ripe for only a few minutes, but grilling a slighly less ripe apricot enhances the apricot perfume and sweetens it so that it is actually better than a ripe apricot. If you want this, go now. Time is of the essence.

Other highlights: seared duck breast with leek & black cardamom duck reduction and a side of broccoli leaves; risotto with Louisiana "swamp" chanterelles and asparagus; pancetta wrapped asparagus and radicchio; and the blackberries. I am from Louisiana, lived there for 35 years, but I had never seen a chanterelle from Louisiana before. It was very fresh, and the whole dish, with the asparagus and the chanterelles, tasted like spring. Yeah, I know, it's summer, but it still tasted like spring.*

The blackberries were served with balsamic vinegar and a scoop of vanilla gelato. Now that tasted like summer.

Now that I think about it, I would like to compliment our server, but we did not ask her name. A very pleasant person, as they all are, but she especially so.

*This dish is on the menu as fettuccini but they will make it with risotto if you ask.

• Like 1

Now that I think about it, I would like to compliment our server, but we did not ask her name. A very pleasant person, as they all are, but she especially so.

If she had dark hair, it was Dana and I'd be happy to pass along the complement.

Jim and I had dinner at Dino last night, We each had the Venetian Tasting Menu in celebration of Dino's 8th Anniversary. You need to get over there and have this menu. At $44 and for $19 the wine pairing, it's a bargain. The food, as always, was delicious and plentiful.

post-1215-0-47856800-1373337077_thumb.jp.

Appetizers:

L to R Sarde Marinati (house cured sardines in olive oil), Crudo (shrimp & scallop ceviche), and Radicchio & Gorgonzola Crostini.

post-1215-0-37668500-1373337094_thumb.jp

Pasta Course:

Top left - Pasta in Salsa (a pungent sauce of onions, parsley & anchovies), top right - Risotto Coi Fiori di Zucca e Prosecco (local squash blossoms w/a splash of sparkling wine). Bottom - Risotto ai Nero di Seppi (Squid Ink & Fresh tomato sauce)

post-1215-0-62381400-1373337117_thumb.jp

post-1215-0-02042500-1373337109_thumb.jp

Main Course:

Monkfish w/Saffron Sauce & Grilled Radicchio
Frito Misto di Mare {shrimp, scallops, fresh fish, zucchini, green onions, spiced yogurt dipping sauce}

post-1215-0-40696000-1373337566_thumb.jp

Dessert:

In foreground: Pesca al Forno (local peaches, baked with a touch of Trickling Springs butter then topped with amaretti crumble and black peppercorn gelato) and in the background: Plum crumble with cinnamon gelato

• Like 2

Technically, a peeler crab, one about to molt, can be brought in from North Carolina or Florida etc and left to molt in a peeler tank in Maryland and be called a Maryland crab. But htere is a difference. A local Chesapeake crab that doesn't get trucked and held for days is fatter, heavier and juicier. Also, they aren't papery. The only way to know for sure is to have a vendor who has a line to the waterman themselves. Our vendor gets us Chesapeake crabs and you can feel the difference. And since we do not fry our crabs, you can taste the difference too! We ahve 12 orders in house right now. Served wirth herbed oil, and a local slaw {Next Step cabbage and cukes, Tree & Leaf La Rate potato, Tuscarora radish.

The grilled apricots are good to go thru the weekend as we get another half bushel Friday from Heysers.

Last Weekend for our tasting menus....

Farm to Table Restaurant Week

$32 for 6 dishes served in 4 courses all vegetarian

$39 adds grilled white peach & pork belly and a 4oz Roseda Sirloin

Menu & Details

Montalcino Tasting Menu

$44 for 4 courses with 8 dishes

optional wine flight $25 {mention DR.COM and we will upgrade the 3oz pours to 8oz}

or choose a 100+ Brunello di Montalcino and get 50% off

Montalcino Menu & Details

Great heirloom tomatoes from Path Valley, Amberjack from Carolina Coast, New {or old, a spin on last year's version} of Wild Boar Pasta w/olives, raisins & currents, local blueberry pancake w/lemon gelato, balsamico & local strawberry shrub, local raspberry shrub, baked peaches w/black peppercorn gelato & more on the regular menu.

Sardines: Marinati {house cured} or grilled with fennel

And whale sized softies from the Chesapeake.

We have simple pastas... pesto, aglio-olio, fresh pomodoro and pomodoro con crema etc that we can do, a simple steak or piece of fish, mista salad in addition to the more adventurous tongue & tripe etc.  Just ask.

And it's been rumored we do one of the better burgers around.

Please say hi if you do come.

• Like 1

And it's been rumored we do one of the better burgers around.  

Based on the perfectly cooked medium rare burger I had there two weeks ago, I would say the best burger.  Pair it with some fresh pasta, local veges and you will have one of the most perfect comfort meals.

• Like 1

Trying to convince my unadventurous-eating Italian wife that our 22nd anniversary meal needs to be at Dino's Saturday night. No reservation yet, tho. Farm to table and wine deals sound great.

Alas, not tonight. Soon, though, very soon!

Trying to convince my unadventurous-eating Italian wife that our 22nd anniversary meal needs to be at Dino's Saturday night. No reservation yet, tho. Farm to table and wine deals sound great.

It took some time for me to convince my wife Marianne to come with me for my first visit to Dino's, but we, along with my nephew arrived there early Saturday evening. I have been reading about the 8th anniversary menus on DR, and was determined to dine there this July.

I have to say the meal was an unqualified success - both the Montalcino tasting menu and wine flight for me and the Eggplant Parmigiana specials topped with fresh tomatoes, ordered by Marianne and my nephew Bill.

The tasting menu was a revelation for this Midwestern boy - fresh, inventive, and plentiful, served with care and just the right amount of information on what each dish contained by our server, Stefania (Grazi!). While all of the dishes were wonderful, I have to say there were some that stood out - the Pasta Alla Briciole (roasted garlic, herbs & breadcrumbs) was an education on how to use fresh, simple ingredients to produce a memorable dish. The Pork Roast "Jailer's Style" with bright green Broccoli Rabe and sublimely garlicky beans was beautifully presented and delicious.

While I enjoyed my Ricotta mousse with balsamico & berries, my wife and nephew exclaimed over the Pesca la Forno - a fresh peach cobbler with a scoop of Cinnamon Vanilla Gelato.

All I can say to DrXmus is "keep trying" - your wife will thank you by the end of the meal.

TSchaad

• Like 1

Nowadays, when I am craving a burger, there is only one burger I am thinking of: Dino's. And so we went there two nights ago to perch at the bar, and had some fantastic burgers, preceded by some incredible pancetta-wrapped apricots topped with mascarpone. I also had a very nice "shrub-groni". Burger craving: fixed!

"shrub"groni aka Klll Chandler=house made old chandler balsamico shrub, Death's Door gin, grapefruit bitters.  Honest to god, the first person to order one was a Mr Chandler!

We also have a "Shrub"tail= house Heyser's Apricot & basil shrub, El dorado rum & soda.

We are, as usual, extending Restaurant Week at Dino.  FOr the restarautn week itself, we will open 30 minutes earlier than normal: 5:30 Monday thru Friday and 5:00pm Saturday.  Sunday we will be open 11 'til last reservation at 9pm.  

August 19 thru Tuesday September 3

RESTAURANT WEEK

We have three ways to enjoy Restaurant Week: Pick any three courses from our full menu {just a couple of upcharges may apply.} Or enjoy one of our tasting menu {we have a vegetarian and a meat version.  If your table decides to try the tasting menu, you can mix and match vegetarian and meat menus, but the entire table needs to order one of the  tasting menus.  Or your party can go for the Restaurant Week 3 Course, or order ala carte. 

The Restaurant Week 3 Course

Welcome Treats: either a welcome splash of Fabian's daily cooler or a non alcoholic shrub, plus complementary nibbles. Special $13 wine flights.  3 courses plus the welcome treats {plus enjoy a complementary house infused cello.}  Start with any antipasto or a half pasta.  Enjoy a secondo or whole pasta for your main. 

Restaurant Week 10 Tastes of Dino $35.13

Welcome Treats

Antipasti

A taste of everything:

Meatball

And: Burrata

And: Artichoke

And: Gazpacho

And: Squash blossom

And: Trotter Tots

Poi {then}"¦

Wild Boar Pasta

And: Aglione

Dessert

Tiramisu & nico ~~ or  ~~ 2 cheeses

Veggie 10 Tastes of Dino $35.13

Welcome Treats

Antipasti"¦

A taste of everything:"¦

Tuscan Green Bean in tomato

And: Gazpacho

And: Squash blossom

And: Roasted Red Onion

And: Burrata

And: Tomato Bruschetta

Poi {then}"¦

Pesto

And: Aglione

Dessert:

Tiramisu & Nico ~~ or  ~~ 2 Cheeses

My wife and I dined at Dino on Friday night and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. It was our first visit without kids in some time and it was nice to find ourselves in such a relaxed, welcoming environment.

As is my tendency, I sampled liberally from the Negroni menu (the Leone and the Bianco) to start. Try as I might, I can't make them this well at home. My wife chose the Rickey's Raspberry and enjoyed it as well. We also enjoyed the gratis crostini we were offered. One with tomato and the other slathered with ramp butter.

We both started with the heirloom tomato and mozzarella salad. I am not sure where they sourced these tomatoes but they couldn't have traveled far as they were at the height of ripeness. Paired with the creamy mozzarella, such a perfect embodiment of August. A hint of basil, swipe of balsamic and a sprinkle of sea salt heightened the experience even more. One of my favorite dishes executed perfectly.

As an entree, I ordered the risotto with corn, which featured corn (obviously), zucchini, and i think grana. Nicely cooked rice harboring just enough bite. Well seasoned too. Again, simple dish but executed very well. My wife ordered the pappardelle with garlic and tomatoes and enjoyed hers as well. We ordered a nice bottle of Soave (I believe), taking advantage of the discount offered on bottles over $50, and were happy with the wine and definitely the price.

We finished with complimentary limoncello and desserts - I chose the trio of gelati (pistachio, chocolate, and cinnamon). I am not a dessert person usually but these were awesome. My wife chose the tiramisu and i dont recall seeing anything left on her plate as we left.

Overall, a relaxing evening highlighted by lovely, comforting food. I think Dino is a gem and really value the thought they put into their efforts. They try to do things right and that's the kind of place I care to support.

-Sean

• Like 1

Barbara and I had a late dinner at Dino tonight.  Quick comment - if you haven't had the soft shell crabs, they still have them.  Huge, meaty beasts, grilled.  I'm sure that they won't be around much longer, but they're the best soft shells I've had in a long time. 

• Like 1

Dean: Would you care to share your thoughts on the service-lane controversy currently raging on the Cleveland-Park Yahoo group/mailing list (and presumably in the wider world)?

Yes, the service lane... perhaps the only thing more controversial in Cleveland Park right now are leaf blowers. But all was neighborly Friday night around 8:30 at a bustling Dino. After a week of multi-city travel, I was in the mood for a really good meal and a cocktail. We tried some new menu items- Tuscan ratatouille, chanterelle pasta, and asian pears and pork belly along. Loved the homemade shrub cocktails- particularly the strawberry balsamic. Yum. As always. Thank you.

• Like 1

Just saw Dean's email and I am extremely sad that Dino will be leaving Cleveland Park :( .

I have probably eaten at Dino more than any other single restaurant in DC - I celebrated the purchase of my first house, took my family from out of town on a number of occasions, and would simply stop by if I drove by and it looked empty - by virtue of it being less than a block away from where I live.

I will miss them being in the rotation of "I don't feel like cooking tonight, where would you like to go" but am happy for Dean and Kay that they'll be continuing on somewhere else.

• Like 2

Dean and Kay,

I hope your new location opens soon, your restaurant is amazing.  If you come to NOVA you will see us more, if you stay in NW, I know my brother will be really happy.  So just don't move to H ST or we will both be miserable, deal?

In all seriousness we hope to keep supporting you in your new endeavor and hope to come in and eat a last time in the old location soon.  We have had so many good meals at Dino and I know my brother is there all the time, he just adores your restaurant.

• Like 1

This is a big loss to those of us with families. Dino's has been a place where we can get a good quality meal at a decent price and a fantastic kids menu that let's parents feed their kids decent food instead of just chicken tenders. Would love to see a new location up in Silver Spring near where we live. 

Scott, Katie and I have had so many great experiences at Dino (although we do fight over the prosciutto). Dino is also one of the first restaurants where, thanks to Dean and Kay, Katie learned that you can actually get to know the restaurant team. Years before Dino opened, I lived in Cleveland Park, and I've always envied the current Cleveland Park residents for the restaurant choices they have and the fact that Dino has been their neighborhood place.  I'm very sorry to hear that Dino will be closing and I hope that the new restaurant opens soon to great success. 

Man.

I remember our first meal there. I remember the debate of walking there or to Palena when we lived in Van Ness.

I remember taking a 6 week old BLBaby for the first of many a meal. One where I ordered the 42 ounce steak rare and would have hurt anyone who tried to geta taste. Or got between me and my first red wine since the previous June.

We brought friends and family. Toasted the inaguration there and celebrated holidays and birthdays. I've lost track of who is running the drinks program these days but I never worry. It was always spot on (or if not, I knew it wouldn't happen again because damn,that staff is trained well.)

Shaw is a haul for us. I'm sure we will go but I'm going to mourn the old and nudge my family to go so we can say goodbye one last time.

I'm looking forward tremedously to the new location. Presuming the new spot is within easy walking distance of the metro it will be so much more accessible for me and I like the sounds of the more casual spot. As much as I've enjoyed Dino, I'm excited. Dean, I do hope you'll continue to offer the occasional wine dinner though. :)

Best of luck with the move and do keep us posted.

Lots and lots of thoughts in reaction to this but only two really right for the moment.

1.  You'll be much missed in Cleveland Park, Dean & Kay

2.  Get open in Shaw (or wherever) soon man!

If there's anything I can do to help, Dean, I'm at your service.

How good are you at wrestling landlords into submission?

One of my favorite moments was a New Year's Eve that was one of my most memorable New Year's.  It was low key, fun and a really nice night with one of my favorite sidekicks, my brother.

One of my favorite stories is my brother making a reservation and going to Dino and Dean coming up and talking to my SIL, talking to her, to discover it wasn't me.  My brother kind of loves (but also rolls his eyes) about anyone who recognizes me from my online presence.  But it made a great first impression on him apparently.  This is his absolute favorite restaurant ever.  I really don't know what he will do, even if there is another open soon.  And Dean is so great about gluten issues, for my SIL and me.  The new location better have brunch, that brunch is great!

• Like 1

Too many memories to list, but one of the things Geri and I have missed the most are our frequent drives down Connecticut Ave. for a meal...it was always last minute and Dean and Kay were always welcoming. If I don't get up there before you move...we'll find your new place.

I want to thank Don and the members of the community for helping us make Dino what it is, even if what it is isn't financially successful enough to go on.  It is amazing to know that we are the second most viewed and replied to restaurant on DR.com, not because we serve the best or most creative food, we don't  Or we dont have thefanciest china and glasses.  But Kay and I are proud of the family we created, a family that goes far beyond just the people I have working for me {each of whom I hope will be able to follow to the new place} but to the many folk we have gotten to know and love over the years.

While it is sad for one story to end, the next story is just beginning and it is going to be a wild ride indeed!  Ultimately, it is our customers who will make the new spot what it is.  I will make sure that we continue to do so with the high integrity ingredients and products we offer.

If there's anything I can do to help, Dean, I'm at your service.

Send a check!  Even really good deals take a lot of money!

I'm looking forward tremedously to the new location. Presuming the new spot is within easy walking distance of the metro it will be so much more accessible for me and I like the sounds of the more casual spot. As much as I've enjoyed Dino, I'm excited. Dean, I do hope you'll continue to offer the occasional wine dinner though. :)

Best of luck with the move and do keep us posted.

Right between two green line stops.  If you want to keep up with all the news, I will be posting here but also the email list is the best way to find out about things.

And Dean is so great about gluten issues, for my SIL and me.  The new location better have brunch, that brunch is great!

We are working on a vegan burger for the new spot and we hope we can make it gluten free as well as vegan and still have it taste like something.

I'm sad to see the original go, and feel badly for the giant hole that will be left in the Cleveland Park neighborhood, but am selfishly happy to see the goodness move to a neighborhood closer to home.

We too are looking forward to meeting a new neighborhood.  We will open as a pop up in our new location with a very short menu dictated by the lack of a walk in and the difficulties of pouring concrete for an outdoor walk in in winter.  But this will give us the opportunity of finding out what the new neighbors will want.  And I can't wait for the new walk in to be installed so we can finally have draft beers.  With all the local stuff going on, we are going to extend our love of local and high quality in this area as well.

This is a big loss to those of us with families. Dino's has been a place where we can get a good quality meal at a decent price and a fantastic kids menu that let's parents feed their kids decent food instead of just chicken tenders. Would love to see a new location up in Silver Spring near where we live. 

I hope we get families in the Shaw area, I am not sure of that part of the demographic.

Thanks again for a great 8 and a half years and we look forward to more!

• Like 7

Dean and Kay will be sorely missed in Cleveland Park where great Italian in a great atmosphere was readily available to the MoCo crowd.  We will make a point of coming in before Dino closes and will certainly follow Dean to his new location.  Best of luck and thank you Dean for all the great meals and great memories!

My wife and I went in last night and the place was humming.  The table next to us laughed when we told the waiter that we saw the email and immediately decided to come in - they'd done the same.

I will probably make a weekly stop in to simply work my way through some of the more expensive options on the list (last nights 2003 Brunello was tremendous) with Dean's VERY generous 50% discount - one of those Dal Forno's (if still available) will be mine!

I wonder if we might, as it gets closer to closing time, organize some sort of DR event here?  Just to celebrate a place I know many of us truly love.

• Like 1

My wife and I went in last night and the place was humming.  The table next to us laughed when we told the waiter that we saw the email and immediately decided to come in - they'd done the same.

I will probably make a weekly stop in to simply work my way through some of the more expensive options on the list (last nights 2003 Brunello was tremendous) with Dean's VERY generous 50% discount - one of those Dal Forno's (if still available) will be mine!

I wonder if we might, as it gets closer to closing time, organize some sort of DR event here?  Just to celebrate a place I know many of us truly love.

I love the idea of DR event at Dino - between the holidays and the sense of a "sooner rather than later" closing date, we will probably have to be quick, but I'm in if someone wants to throw something together (I would volunteer to organize, but I have a couple of other events that are occupying my time).

• Like 1

So very sad for Dino to close in Cleveland Park. I've been one of the lucky ones to live within 2 blocks since it opened and we have always enjoyed our experiences there.  Best of luck with the new location - since it sounds like you have a spot picked out - where is it?

Also, while it sounds like the menu at first will be a work in progress - is it still going to be similar Italian cuisine or something else entirely?

So very sad for Dino to close in Cleveland Park. I've been one of the lucky ones to live within 2 blocks since it opened and we have always enjoyed our experiences there.  Best of luck with the new location - since it sounds like you have a spot picked out - where is it?

Also, while it sounds like the menu at first will be a work in progress - is it still going to be similar Italian cuisine or something else entirely?

Here you go.

Until we install the walk-in behind the LARGE AND QUITE LEVEL OUTDOOR DECK, we will have a more bar/pub/bistro type menu with rotating specials.  I would expect the entree portion of the menu to be cut by half+, the pasta by a third+.  We will have more burgers and sandwiches.  While we currently print a new menu every 3 to 4 days, we usually change just one or a couple of items with each printing.  I think the new model will have lots more of rotational feel with things being on the menu for a bit then coming back later with a seasonal variation.   We will of course keep the standards... boar pasta, burrata, lasagnette, cioppino, meatballs on a continuous basis.   I have dreams of adding a wood burning oven to the cook line, but that may happen down the line.   And the hood is far smaller so we are still trying to decide what to put under it.  A pasta and grill are slam dunks, but deep fryer vs size of the grill vs other stuff is a hard choice that hasn't been made.  We hope to expand brunch to Saturdays as well as Sundays.  Once we have been up and operating for a bit and the renovations are complete, we will see where our customers want us to go.

The menu will be more flexible and modular with a much less clear distinction between starters and entrees, and there will be sharable stuff like the return of the Fiorentina {probably on a once a month basis}.  Burgers will be a variety including vegan/vegetarian versions.

Right now, about a third of our menu is a fairly true rendition of dishes we love in Italy {except for the use of more garlic, true Italian cooking isn't very garlic heavy.}  And about a third uses ingredients that aren't common in Italy but they are handled with a "IKtalian sensibility."  And finally, right now we have Matzoh Ball Soup, burgers, pates, confit etc which you don't really see in the small family owned trattorie and osterie and bacari we tended to frequent back in the day when we went to Italy frequently.

But what won't change is the support of our network of suppliers.  In fact, we hope to be even more of a supporter of the great farms and co-ops we use.

• Like 1