Mobile, AL

Waitman

Any recco's in downtown Mobile or the  Greater Gulf Breeze region?  Not so much interested in decent yuppie heirloom tomato/grass-fed pork chops places as we have those here -- regional cuisine is always worth a gamble.   Party includes one pescatarian and one 12-year-old of limited adventurousness, so a decent seafood shack would fit the bill.

Also, should I call the vacation "Alabama Getaway" or "Going Mobile" when I write my unpublishable travel section article on it?

In Mobile itself, Wintzell's for oysters would be an obvious choice -- it is the traditional oyster house in Mobile.  Many locations nowadays, but it's probably best to stick with the original on Dauphine St. near downtown.  Nearby, the Blind Mule is a dive with good black bean chili and burgers.  If you get out to where the rich folks are in Fairhope, there are many possibilities, but I haven't been there for years so have no specific suggestions.  Gulf Shores is a typical beach town; good food can be found but it takes work.  In general, "local cuisine" around Mobile Bay is pretty much the same as classic New Orleans: oysters, gumbo, shrimp, po boys, etc.  Certainly no shortage of seafood and seafood shacks.

One place that gets positive reviews is the Original Oyster House; main location is out on US 90 in the middle of the bay.  I don't recommend it.

If you want a first-hand lesson in how to get rich in the restaurant business, try Lambert's in Foley. "The Home of Throwed Rolls."  Appalling and amazing all "rolled" into one.  I suppose you could think of it as a form of regional cuisine.  The kid(s) would love it.  Be prepared for a wait.

With all due respect to Johnb, Wintzell's is quite awful and should be avoided at all costs.

We did drive pass Lambert's, which has a huge sign advertising its website, www.throwedrolls.com.

Down around Gulf Shores, there are a number or barbecue places, which we did not get a chance to try but future travelers should note that they all looked pretty decent (ir, wood fires going) and are likely better than any regular restaurant food.

We did, however, get some fresh off the boat shrimp -- there are a cluster of outlets just north of "town", Captain Billy's apparently being the best known but if you head toward Billy's you can follow the signs to the others.  The Royal Reds were excellent.  It does kind of ruin you for for frozen shrimp, though.

I am replying late here but I travel to Mobile from time to time for work and often eat downtown. I've had a really good meal at Dumbwaiter's on Dauphin Street. I believe there's a second location now, but I've only been to the downtown venue.  http://www.dumbwaiterrestaurant.com/home.html  I stopped by after a difficult work day, got a seat at the bar and had a great dinner of pan seared scallops and shrimp & grits. I've heard good things about Saisho (down the street) but have not been yet. http://saishomobile.com/