In Desperate Pursuit of an April, 1991 Bon Appetit Recipe

RobinFeuer

Help me save my marriage with a Frozen Raspberry Mousse recipe on page 24 of the Bon Appetit April 1991.  It also has a yummy sauce with chambord.  Many thanks! ... Robin

You know what? I'm laying odds that someone here will be able to find it. Good luck!

(When all else fails, there's microfiche at the library.) :)

Nope, it has raspberries.  I have not found the recipe on-line after mega searches.  I believe it needs to be found in a hardcopy of the Bon Appetit April 1991 on page 24 under Frozen Raspberry Mousse with Tart Raspberry Sauce per an index I have. Thanks tho! ... Robin

Help me save my marriage with a Frozen Raspberry Mousse recipe on page 24 of the Bon Appetit April 1991.  It also has a yummy sauce with chambord.  Many thanks! ... Robin

Was it one of those "RSVP" recipes requested from a restaurant? If so, you won't find it anywhere online. Learned this from my search for a Lobster Risotto recipe, which was in the November 1991 issue. Mr. Squidsdc found it. PM squidsdc and ask her nicely if her husband can come to rescue once again.

• Like 1

Could this be it? I don't have full text capability with this database but can look elsewhere if you confirm.

Main content area

Celebration Desserts

Klivans, Elinor. Bon Appétit36.6 (Jun 1991): 48-56.

Turn on hit highlighting for speaking browsers by selecting the Enter button

Hide highlighting

Abstract (summary) Translate [unavailable for this document]

Recipes for various desserts are given, including mocha mousse meringue cake, strawberry mousse cake, frozen white chocolate and raspberry mousse cake and lemon meringue terrine.

Indexing (details)

Cite

Subject Recipes;

Food;

Cooking;

Desserts

Title Celebration Desserts

Author Klivans, Elinor

Publication title Bon Appétit

Volume 36

Issue 6

Pages 48-56

Number of pages 0

Publication year 1991

Publication date Jun 1991

Year 1991

Publisher Condé Nast Publications, Inc.

Place of publication New York

Country of publication United States

Publication subject Home Economics

ISSN 00066990

Source type Magazines

Language of publication English

Document type Recipe

Document feature Illustrations

Accession number 00829036

ProQuest document ID 213636588

Document URL http://search.proquest.com/docview/213636588?accountid=1313

Copyright Copyright Conde Nast Publications, Inc. Jun 1991

Last updated 2014-04-12

Database ProQuest Research Library

Tags

About tags - this link will open in a new window|Go to My Tags

Be the first to add a shared tag to this document.

Add tags

Sign in to My Research to add tags.

Sorry, ventworm, but these are not the recipes.  It is the April 1991 Bon Appetit that Don found earlier on ebay.  I believe heretic is correct in the posting that this is an RSVP recipe from a restaurant, and thus not likely to be on the internet.  Thanks tho! ... Robin

Sorry, ventworm, but these are not the recipes.  It is the April 1991 Bon Appetit that Don found earlier on ebay.  I believe heretic is correct in the posting that this is an RSVP recipe from a restaurant, and thus not likely to be on the internet.  Thanks tho! ... Robin

N00B :lol:

This was funny, Robin, and you have no idea why!

• Like 1

Robin, I have this hard copy issue in hand; I'm sorry to let you know that there is only an article on page 24 and the index does not mention this dessert at all. We even double checked the RSVP section and the dessert is also not there. Are you absolutely certain its the April 1991 issue? If you have a reference you can scan and post that may help.

I've got it.  It is an R.S.V.P recipe.  I'll type it up in a little while.

Here you go.  It doesn't call for Chambord.

Frozen Raspberry Mousse With Tart Raspberry Sauce
Bon Appetit, October 1991, p. 24
R.S.V.P recipe from Jasmine Porch, Kiawah Island, SC

6 Servings

1 cup sugar
1 cup fresh raspberries or frozen, thawed
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup raspberry preserves
3 tablespoons raspberry vinegar
1 cinnamon stick

3 large egg yolks
1 large egg
1/2 cup sugar
2 cups chilled whipping cream

1/2 cup fresh raspberries or frozen, thawed
Additional whipped cream

Bring first 6 ingredients to boil in heavy small saucepan, stirring until sugar dissolves.  Boil 8 minutes, stirring frequently.  Strain through fine sieve into bowl, pressing on solids with back of spoon to remove seeds.  Cool raspberry sauce.

Half fill large saucepan with water and bring to boil.  Whisk yolks, egg and 1/2 cup sugar in small metal bowl.  Set bowl over saucepan and whisk constantly until candy thermometer registers 160°F, about 3 minutes.  Remove bowl from over water.  Using electric mixer, beat yolk mixture until cool and thick, about 5 minutes.  Using clean dry beaters, whip 2 cups cream in medium bowl until soft peaks form.  Fold 1/4 cup raspberry sauce into cream.  Fold whipped cream into yolk mixture.

Divide mousse among 6 balloon-shaped wineglasses.  Freeze until firm, at least 6 hours.  (Can be prepared 1 day ahead; chill remaining sauce.)

Top desserts with berries.  Spoon 2 tablespoons raspberry sauce over each (reserve any remaining sauce for another use.)  Top each with a dollop of whipped cream and serve.
  • Like 3

Thanks, Pat and Barbara, for your work in finding the frozen raspberry mousse recipe.  You are wonderful, and I wish I could share the dessert with you.  It has been 10 years since I made this dessert, and now I believe I used a different sauce with chambord to accompany the mousse.

I will make this for my 30th anniversary.  I'm not sure if it will save the marriage since my wife said it seemed like 100 years already!

Thanks again! ... Robin

• Like 2

This is essentially a semifreddo recipe; I can imagine it would work well with many different fruits, and could be frozen in a single large serving bowl or a loaf pan... in other words, a recipe to experiment with.  It sounds wonderful.  Thanks for posting!