Las Vegas, NV

wineitup

Why they would use a type of meat that shines when it is served rare in a dish that is braised and where any cheaper cut of meat would have come out the same, beats me. 

A cheaper meat braised properly would probably even be better than a braised piece of kobe.

But don't Kobe cattle have the 'cheaper' parts/cuts that need braising too (short ribs, cheeks, etc).

Certainly, but they still are priced at the "Kobe" premium. My point is why utilize a pricey kind of cow when the economy brand would be just as good, if not better. Answering my own question: Viva Las Vegas!

:lol:

But don't Kobe cattle have the 'cheaper' parts/cuts that need braising too (short ribs, cheeks, etc).

Yeah - but they still probably won't have the same type of marbling and texture that would make a good braise. I would think the "cheapness" of the meat in terms of quality is what makes it good for braising in the first place.

Maybe I'll need to track down some Kobe brisket or short ribs and give this theory a test. I wouldn't expect it to be bad either way.

Yeah - but they still probably won't have the same type of marbling and texture that would make a good braise.  I would think the "cheapness" of the meat in terms of quality is what makes it good for braising in the first place.

Maybe I'll need to track down some Kobe brisket or short ribs and give this theory a test.  I wouldn't expect it to be bad either way.

And I thought Kobe beef isn't supposed to need braising to be tender - isn't that the sought-after quality of the meat? When I had some in Japan, the Kobe steak was so tender you could cut it with the edge of a fork. However, the meat had very little flavor.

But to get back on topic, I'll be staying at the Venetian this weekend. But I can't tell whether the Valentino is being recommended or not.

But to get back on topic, I'll be staying at the Venetian this weekend.  But I can't tell whether the Valentino is being recommended or not.

I've eaten at Valentino twice and enjoyed myself. But the meal/wine prices were high. Two other places in the Venetian: Pinot Brasserie and Delmonico. Both are part of a celebrity chef's empire (Joachim Splichal and Emeril Lagasse, respectively), yet they did not feel like a chain. If I recall correctly, Pinot Brasserie has low corkage (call ahead, I did not BYOB) and the Delmonico wine list did not seem to have the gigantic markups that many LV restaurants charge.

Or Lutece. I suppose you will be eating out more than one night. If I hadn't been drawn to Valentino on account of whom I was having dinner with (she's Italian) -- I wanted to go try Auriole at Mandalay Bay (with the wine angels suspended on wires to get to your wine selection at the four story wine rack) or Picasso at the Bellagio (John Wabeck recommends as this is the only "celebrity chef" restaurant where the chef is actually on premises).

This is from my wine blog (at dmwineline.com) on my recent visit to L'Atelier de Joel Robuchon. You'll dine well even if you don't meet the chef. And if you don't believe me, there's a photo here.

My Chance Encounter with Joel Robuchon

Some people gush over movie stars, rock musicians or, here in DC, powerful politicians. Me, I’m a sucker for anyone in a chef’s jacket. I’m proud to count a few of DC’s finest as friends and more as acquaintances, and if you get me in my cups I’ll be happy to tell you about the time I interviewed Alain Ducasse for The Washington Post. Well add a few more Michelin stars to my firmament – I met Joël Robuchon.

I arrived in Las Vegas for my day job and headed for the MGM Grand, hoping to spend my free evening at L’Atelier de Joël Robuchon, the first US outpost of the man heralded by his publicists as “the best chef in the world.” The place was closed for a media event. Food writers from around the world were to be feted for two nights to celebrate the restaurant’s grand opening. I whipped out my business card, self-printed with Microsoft Publisher on medium-grade card stock from Office Depot, and explained to the pretty young thang at the hostess stand that she was in luck, for I had arrived by happenstance and would be quite content to squeeze into a corner and enjoy the meal and I really wouldn’t get in anyone's way, thank you very much.

She wasn’t buying. The irony, the irony.

So I returned 48 hours later, dusty from tromping around the desert all day and hoping to score a decent meal before hitting the redeye home, when I see the man himself standing in front of his restaurant with a suit and a younger chef. I drooled for a few minutes, then threw modesty to the wind and introduced myself. Monsieur Robuchon complimented me on my pathetic French and then introduced me to his copains (who turned out to be the VP of food and beverage for the hotel and Philippe Braun, the chef in charge of L’Atelier) as if I was a long-lost buddy from his days in the resistance. I said I was there to dine at L’Atelier as soon as the doors opened and let him go on his merry way.

Shortly after 5:30 another cute young thang tried to shunt me into a corner, but my new friend Philippe guided me to the center seat around the U-shaped bar that is L’Atelier’s signature. This format was considered quite revolutionary in Paris and Tokyo when Robuchon came out of retirement a few years ago to offer “casual” cuisine, but the idea of diners watching their food being cooked and even interacting with the wait staff is not new to Americans. I felt like I was sitting at an expensive diner counter. Small plates are not new here either, though the wait staff kept explaining them as if they were.

That said, I’ve never eaten so well at a diner or tapas bar. It was perhaps the best, and most expensive, meal of my life.

I splurged on the menu degustation, a multicourse offering of small plates for $85, and gave Pascal Bolduc, the Quebec-born sommelier, carte blanche to match me some wines. (For some reason, the restaurant does not offer flights of wines matched to the tasting menu.) For the sautéed foie gras with a citrus and apple sauce, he offered an “ice cider” from Quebec called “Neige,” made from apples frozen on the tree like grapes on the vine for ice wine. I may go to my grave believing this was the ultimate food-wine pairing.

I’ll spare you a blow-by-blow, bite-by-bite account of my meal, except to say foie gras made three appearances overall and I may be spoiled forever for salmon. One can eat less expensively at L’Atelier by picking and choosing among the small plates (full entrées are quite expensive) and showing restraint with the wines. And while the “casual” concept may seem old-hat to American diners, the cuisine Robuchon is not to be missed.

(L’Atelier de Joël Robuchon at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, Nev. There is also Joël Robuchon at The Mansion, which is really expensive and aims to recreate or reinvent Robuchon’s three-star cuisine. For more information, see www.mgmgrand.com .)

So I am leaving for Vegas tomorrow for (gulp) a whole week.  What is the latest and the greatest? 

I am planing the  old skool steak dinner at least one night and I was planning on sushi one night as well.

What do you all think?

I was in Vegas in September and had phenomenal sushi at Sushi Roku in the new forum shops at Caesar's. More info here: Sushi Roku. It's a trendy place overlooking the strip and the sushi was delicious. Good service, beautiful people, swank setting. Despite the fact that it's located off the mall, which seemed weird to me, we were impressed.

Have a great time in Vegas! When I got off the plane at Dulles, I wanted to hop on the next flight back. <_<

Not really the latest, but certainly one of the greatest is Lotus of Siam. It is one of the finest Thai restaurants in the country. If you go, don't expect some overdone Vegas restaurant, it has all of the ambiance of your local Chinese restaurant.

So I am leaving for Vegas tomorrow for (gulp) a whole week.  What is the latest and the greatest?  .... I was planning on sushi one night as well.

Not quite sure why there are two Vegas threads, but you may want to check the rest of this thread as well.

Having said that, in November I had dinner at the japanese restaurant Okada in the Wynn Hotel. The sushi wasn't out of this world, but it was perfectly nice. However, the dining room is absolutely beautiful with friendly but professional service.

I strongly second Steve's mention of Lotus of Siam which is OFF the strip. Members of the L. A. board from Chowhound have actually organized dinners there-that's 250 miles from L.A.! The place is legendary, considered by many to be as good as there is in America. Also you should note the two restaurants which the James Beard Organization honored with nominations for their national category, best new restaurant of the year. One is ungodly expensive, the formal Robuchon at the Mansion and the second is in the Wynn, Bartolotta. Also, the chef from Commander's Palace was nominated for the regional chef's award as well as the sommelier and wine service at Aureole in theMandalay.

Regardless, if you have not been to In 'n Out Burger you should go. There are at least four in Vegas with the one several blocks from the strip the #1 grossing in their entire chain. Having said this I've been there five or six times and each time I left a bit disappointed. Still, you should go. If you have a car I would go to Henderson.

http://www.chowhound.com/boards/general18/...ages/64210.html

La Reve is a fantastic show at the Wynn and worth the exhorbitant ticket cost.

Hi all,

I'm taking my girlfiend to vegas for her birthday this coming weekend, and on Sunday night I'd like to take her somewhere nice, since it's that's her birthday, but the tirp is costing me a lot, so price is unfortunately an issue. I'd love to get out for under 250, including wine/tax/tip. any ideas?

Thanks!

-Jason

Forgot to report about Vegas trip in March. Had a surprisingly excellent steak dinner at Del Friscos. It's off the strip on Paradise Road... 7 of us at dinner. Was a little concerned when I saw it was part of the Lone Star chain. But it was great. Dinner was well-paced... prompt but not hurried. Attentive but not rushing us at all. Declared to be the best steak dinner we've ever had in Vegas. I had the ribeye and it rocked. 3 porterhouses, a filet, a strip, and veal rounded out the table. Steaks all rivaled or were better than Ray's. Creamed spinach among the best we've had. Not cheap, but definitely worth the money for Vegas.

As comparison, the other steak places we've been to in Vegas include Smith & Wollensky, Alan Alberts, Gallaghers, and the steakhouse in Monte Carlo (I forget the name).

Vegas Help Needed

I feel really overwhelmed with planning a trip to Vegas. We found some good flights a few days ago, and we are leaving on the 29th for five nights. I need help with a few things here. This will be our first trip to the strip.

Restaurants:

The only thing I have booked is dinner at Bouchon on the 31st. With so many choices how do you decide what's good without wasting money? :unsure: I am afraid that nothing from the celebrity chefs will live up to my expectations, so I am going to lower my expectations with hopes of enjoying myself. Are there any sure bets among this lot? We would like to eat a one buffet during our stay, and one big deal place.

Hotels:

WTF! every hotel has a different price for each day. I am looking at Paris, MGM Grand, and Treasure Island. Any thoughts?

I have heard that the rooms in Vegas are not that nice, unless you are staying at the Belligio, Venetian, or the Wynn. I called the Venetian last night, and it was almost $350 per night for 4 nights of our stay, and on one night the rate was $900! The very next week the same room was $142 per night. You would think that with so many hotels in Vegas the rates would not be so random.

This past Sunday Raymond Sokolov (sp?) in the New York Times called Joel Robuchon at the Mansion (in the MGM Grand) the best restaurant in the United States.

Before you yell "fantastic? and we're going!" you should consider that it is prix frixe. US $350 per person prix fixe + wine, tax and tip. For sixteen courses.

Still, even if that is not a problem it is "known." It may now rival the difficulty of the French Laundry in getting a reservation unless you're a "whale."

By the way, Robuchon in the mid '90's in Paris was unbelievable; this is his first attempt since closing Jamin there to approach its excellence.

Edited by Joe H

Room rates fluctuate greatly in Vegas. Weeknight versus weekend. Many conventions versus few. Boxing match, concert, etc. Anyway, I have had nice rooms at Hard Rock (light and modern), Treasure Island (just be sure to request a recently renovated room) and Mandalay Bay (then again, I was in a suite). Didn't like Luxor at all.

For cheap-ish eats, I like Taqueria Canonita. My favorite buffet is, hands down, at Paris, particularly for breakfast or brunch.

Hotels:

WTF! every hotel has a different price for each day. I am looking at Paris, MGM Grand, and Treasure Island. Any thoughts?

I have heard that the rooms in Vegas are not that nice, unless you are staying at the Belligio, Venetian, or the Wynn. I called the Venetian last night, and it was almost $350 per night for 4 nights of our stay, and on one night the rate was $900! The very next week the same room was $142 per night. You would think that with so many hotels in Vegas the rates would not be so random.

This past Sunday Raymond Sokolov (sp?) in the New York Times called Joel Robuchon at the Mansion (in the MGM Grand) the best restaurant in the United States.

Before you yell "fantastic? and we're going!" you should consider that it is prix frixe. US $350 per person prix fixe + wine, tax and tip. For sixteen courses.

Still, even if that is not a problem it is "known." It may now rival the difficulty of the French Laundry in getting a reservation unless you're a "whale."

By the way, Robuchon in the mid '90's in Paris was unbelievable; this is his first attempt since closing Jamin there to approach its excellence.

My wife has already told me not to even think about it:) What about his other restaurant at the MGM Grand? I have heard mixed reviews, but it looked very interesting.

On May 29th of '03, several weeks after it opened, I was fortunate to be in Paris when L'atalier opened. This is the link to what I wrote about it on Chowhound:

http://www.chowhound.com/topics/show/26276...ier+de+robuchon

I have not been to the Vegas incarnation. Suffice it to say that I expected more from what had been a celestial experience in the mid '90's and L'atalier didn't approach this. I've never spent a thousand dollars on a meal and I am not going to start now. But if I were it would not be in Vegas. More than likely it would be in France at Marc Veyrat. Or on two dinners for two in San Sebastian. Maybe even three. Or here at Maestro, Citronelle and Ray's the Steaks with a very good bottle of wine at each.

By the way, I much prefer the rooms at the Venetian to the MGM. Or Bellagio, for that matter.

But that's me...

Edited by Joe H

Room rates in Vegas change day-to-day... it's almost like the stock market in that it's a very efficient market. As supply goes down, rates go up... and vice versa. I would book whatever you can now.... but until the trip, keep checking the hotel web pages to see if they go down, and then rebook at the lowest rate (note you can only do this if you book through the hotel and not through expedia or travelocity or such). In particular, rates often tend to be at their lowest the monday or tuesday before a weekend.

Of course, Venetian, Wynn, and Bellagio are the cream of the crop in Vegas. The next tier is probably Caesar's, Mandalay Bay, and Mirage. Then Paris, Treasure Island, MGM, Aladdin, NYNY, and Monte Carlo. Luxor probably belongs in that group, but I don't like it either. Bally's is also supposed to be ok. Rio, Palms, and Hard Rock are off the strip (i.e. you'll need a cab to go anywhere) but are nice... but I'm not sure where to insert them in the categories above. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the above... if you do plan to spend a lot of time in the room (I usually don't), it may be worth it to splurge a little bit, but I wouldn't go crazy with that - also depends on what amenities you want... some have better pools, others have better restaurants, or better gaming.

Food - also yummy at Paris is the crepes place across from the buffet. Supposedly one of the best Thai places, Lotus of Siam, in all of the U.S. is in Vegas. MGM Grand and Venetian have some very nice places that won't break the bank.

When I was there last year, we stayed at the MGM. I thought the rooms were fine.

Went to Bouchon and had an excellent meal. I think you'll like it.

For Breakfast, I would suggest the Buffet at Paris.

See, for breakfast, I'd suggest Bouchon. :unsure:

Seriously. Best jams and preserves I've had in any restaurant (housemade)...the corned beef hash was just perfect, and looked machine-tooled, it was so precisely fine-diced.

Paris does have our favorite buffet, it's true.

Just got back from several days in Vegas. This was our first trip to Vegas so I lowered my expectations, as to not be disappointed. What I found was a very expensive city if you want to dine nicely. I was shocked by the mark up on wine at most of the restaurants we visited. Bouchon and DB Brasserie had the most fair wine list, with something in every price range. While I thought Fleur De Lys had the best value for food, they really hit you over the head with their wine prices, I could not find anything under $80 on that list. Highlights include:

Day 1:

Bouchon for Breakfast- I thought this was a fine breakfast, but nothing special for the $40 price tag. I had the boudan blanc with eggs, and my wife had a very good sourdough waffle with a vanilla bean butter. We also has a side of bacon, one coffee and a Valrhona mocha.

Burger Bar Lunch- I was really disappointed in this place. Maybe I was expecting too much. The burgers were fine, just not great. I can't believe they do not serve home made french fries! I just had a classic American burger, It was quite dry from being overcooked, I did not think it was worth the price. Two burger combos, with a milkshake, that was excellent, and one beer had a price tag of $43

For dinner we had planned on going to Simon Kitchen & Bar, but once I found out how far the Hard Rock was from the Strip I canceled my reservation. What a mistake! We ended up going to some Italian restaurant at the MGM Grand. It was so bad I forgot the name or what I had. It was right near Craftsteak. Moving on quickly.....

We left the Italian restaurant, and headed to the Mix Lounge, If you make it there before 10PM they will let you go up for free, otherwise it's $25 I was told.This is the best view from the south side of the Strip. The service here was great, some of the best of the trip, and this was just a fancy bar. We ordered a few drinks and a Vanilla Napoleon with Mascarpone sorbet and Strawberry salad for dessert. What a great dessert, that sorbet was the best I had ever tasted.

Day 2:

Wichcraft Lunch- Great Sandwiches here! We sampled the meatloaf with cheddar and bacon, and the roasted pork with red cabbage and jalapenos. They also had a great carrot cake sandwich cookie, and the ice cream sandwich was excellent and huge.

Bouchon for Dinner- This is the one I have been waiting for! I have cooked quite a few dished from the Bouchon cookbook, so I was very excited to try this place for dinner. Out of all the restaurants we tried, this one was the most packed with people during the evening. The food was indeed excellent bistro cooking! We ordered the cod beignets with tomato confit and fried sage, I thought this was the best dish of night. I had braised pork short ribs with peas, and my wife ordered the pan roasted trout. Both these dishes were good. I almost forgot for a moment I was in Vegas, as I drank my wine, while dipping my pork into some Dijon Mustard, and munching on some very good french fries. For dessert we had profiteroles and chocolate bouchons with ice cream. I also did not know they had Bouchon Bakery at the hotel near the casino.

Day 3:

Luxor Lunch Buffet- Need I say more. We had some free coupons, so we used them.

Fleur De Lys - Warning! Do not eat here before a 10:30 show. I was so stuffed I had to fight to stay awake for the late KA show. for what other restaurants are charging for food in Vegas, this is a steal! I looked a quite a few menus as we walked around,and could not find a better deal. You can choose a 3, 4 or 5 course meal with or with out wine, from a very large selection off the menu. I did not see any a la cart prices on the menu, so I am not sure that was an option. The space was beautiful and romantic, I requested one of the private cabanas, and it was a wise choice. I felt even further away form Vegas as we sat in what was really seemed like private room. We selected the 4 course, which I think was $89, believe me this was a steal for Vegas fine dining. We also did the the wine parings, after not getting much help from the wine guy. He was just weird.

I started with the Artisan Foie Gras with Rhubarb Rosemary Compote, this was served cold with three fresh and hot brioche rolls. Next was the excellent Swordfish with braised fennel, there were some other components to this dish that I don't remember. The fish was followed by the meat course, I selected the filet with braised oxtail tortellini, this was another winner. These portions were also pretty large. My dessert was the chocolate sampler, nothing to really rave about here. My wife had some interesting dishes as well, her lobster salad with watermelon dice and watermelon sorbet was pretty damn good. She also had a the veal cheek tart tatin, this too was excellent.

Day 4:

Commanders Palace Lunch- 25 cents martini's to wash down the excellent pork combo, and a sausage po'boy served with sweet potatoes French fries with homemade ketchup. We followed with an order of beignets,and the bread pudding soufflé. The service here was excellent as well, and those martini's were good and strong!

At this point in the trip we were tired of eating so we skipped dinner before the Toni Braxton show.

Day 5:

What do you do if you flight does not leave until 11PM? Eat some more.

Daniel Boulud Brasserie- The Wynn hotel is very upscale, when I grow up I would like to stay here. Daniel Boulund has a 3 course prix fixe menu until 8pm for $48, not a lot of choices, but still a great deal. I started with the Pate De Canpagne, and we both had the steak frites, as I did not want to order roast chicken of salmon. The steak was fine, but I found the desserts to be even better. My wife had a delicious peach clafoutis, and I tried a creative take on profiteroles. The profiteroles were coco crusted, and served with rocky road ice cream

The breakfast/brunch buffet at Paris. Seriously.
I second the Paris breakfast buffet. best anywhere.
For Breakfast, I would suggest the Buffet at Paris.

Why?

I need details so I can convince my family it is worth it. We only have a few meals on our own and I want one to be a buffet (seems like one of those things you have to do in Vegas).

Does the buffet have a raw bar?

How much does it cost?

Why?

I need details so I can convince my family it is worth it. We only have a few meals on our own and I want one to be a buffet (seems like one of those things you have to do in Vegas).

How much does it cost?

We tried to eat at the Paris for breakfast, but the line was very, very long, so we left. I would suggest you bypass the buffets and head to Bouchon for breakfast.

We tried to eat at the Paris for breakfast, but the line was very, very long, so we left. I would suggest you bypass the buffets and head to Bouchon for breakfast.

This was also my experience at Paris. Its breakfast buffet has a good rap, so it can be crowded. Go early if you go. It is somewhat unique because it has different stations each emphasizing a different region of France. I don't know how that works with breakfast, however.

Other consistently highly rated buffets are Alladin/Planet Hollywood, Bellagio, and Wynn. I have enjoyed them all but have never had breakfast at any. If you are going on a Sunday, and price is no object, the place to try is the Sterling Brunch at Bally's. Every imaginable high end item (lobster, foie gras, caviar, etc etc) and endless champagne, along with more typical items; without double checking, I'm pretty sure it includes a raw bar. The Bouchon idea is a good one too, but it's normal sit-down.

Do some searches of the Chowhound Southwest board for ideas.

I can make some other suggestions if you'd like. PM me.

Why?

How much does it cost?

I'm staying at Paris this weekend & will get up to date info on the price & special offerings. Last time we did the Bellagio & Paris buffets...I preferred the Bellagio for the quality of food, but remember the Paris buffet being cheaper. Can't wait to eat at Wichcraft!

Any other nonrestaurant food destinations I should hit?

If you're interested in wine, there is a special "cellar" at Rio that has a spectacular collection of older wines, especially d'quem. There is a wine shop in Mandalay, near Burger Bar in Mandalay Place, called 55 Degrees, which has a number of interesting things---not necessarily worth a special trip, but certainly should be seen if you're in the area. Also in Mandalay is Red Square which has some vodkas worth seeing (drinking only if you are rich). Several restaurants have outstanding cellars. Among those is Alize at the Palms--I asked for and got a tour of their cellar, and they have some wonderful old bottles. Any of these is more interesting than the "wine angels" picking bottles off the four-story wine tower rack at Aureole (Mandalay) which attracts the most lookers.

tana-why is it your favorite?
Well, it's been a couple of years since we've been, but we were going every few months for a spate there, and it just "won." We had a really great French waiter, funny and warm without being overfriendly, and I liked everything. I don't need pastries to be happy, so much of the Bellagio's sweets counter was lost on me. Sorry I can't give specifics, I wasn't taking notes and being critical, just going on our overall experience.

But I'm probably done going to Las Vegas for a long time: I don't much care to travel unless, somewhere along the line, I can visit and photograph a farm (and deduct it!). :)

Hello all -

I've got a 3.5hr layover in the Vegas airport, and have no idea of the airport's relation to the strip/main action. So, I'm wondering if there are any tasty restaurants (not tooo pricey), either on the strip or not, within short taxi distance from the airport, that I could go to and spend a hour or so, then come back for my flight. All recs appreciated! Thanks!

Hello all -

I've got a 3.5hr layover in the Vegas airport, and have no idea of the airport's relation to the strip/main action. So, I'm wondering if there are any tasty restaurants (not tooo pricey), either on the strip or not, within short taxi distance from the airport, that I could go to and spend a hour or so, then come back for my flight. All recs appreciated! Thanks!

The airport is really close to the south end of the strip, I would not venture too far north on the strip if you only have 3hrs; the traffic is awful and slow at most times during the day, and worst in the evenings. The MGM Grand and Mandalay Bay have the best dinning options on the south end. I am not sure you will have enough time for a sit down meal with only 3 hours to spare. However, I would recommend Fleur de Lys at the Mandalay Bay for dinner, and Witchcraft at the MGM Grand (only open for lunch). Keep in mind that once you are inside any of these hotels, it's roughly a 5 min or more walk to get to the damn restaurants.

Hello all -

It appears you also posted this question to the CH Southwest board???? I already responded there. I would add that Pete's Burger Bar suggestion above might also work, but if a burger is in your future why not just head for the nearest In-N-Out? Of course they are very different experiences.

If you were to do BB, there is a very interesting wine shop (55 degrees) a few stores away.

No matter what you do, be sure you have a cab waiting to get you back to LAS.

Yep, I did post to Chowhound as well - but since I live here in DC, this is my local board and I trust rockwellians :)

Burger Bar is an interesting suggestion - I will definitely gauge if I'm feelin a burger that day, and would probably go here over In 'N Out - I wasn't that thrilled with INO when I had it - to me it's just a fast food burger - granted, a whole league different from the gross chains, but still, just fast food done very well. I think I was expecting a mind-blowingly tasty burger. Actually, I was just home and and thought I'd take a Steak n Shake Frisco melt any day over the double double animal style. What I really want to try sometime is Fat Burger. And, if you're a burger afficionado, IMHO, the best burger I've ever had is in Boston at R.F. O'Sullivans. The Black Jack Burger. oh man how i miss that.

So, I'm looking into restaurants at the MGM and Mandalay now, that aren't on the too pricey range and that I can be in and out of in around an hour!

Yep, I did post to Chowhound as well - but since I live here in DC, this is my local board and I trust rockwellians :)

Burger Bar is an interesting suggestion - I will definitely gauge if I'm feelin a burger that day, and would probably go here over In 'N Out - I wasn't that thrilled with INO when I had it - to me it's just a fast food burger - granted, a whole league different from the gross chains, but still, just fast food done very well. I think I was expecting a mind-blowingly tasty burger. Actually, I was just home and and thought I'd take a Steak n Shake Frisco melt any day over the double double animal style. What I really want to try sometime is Fat Burger. And, if you're a burger afficionado, IMHO, the best burger I've ever had is in Boston at R.F. O'Sullivans. The Black Jack Burger. oh man how i miss that.

So, I'm looking into restaurants at the MGM and Mandalay now, that aren't on the too pricey range and that I can be in and out of in around an hour!

Burger Bar is over rated. We also tried the Fat Burger on the strip, and it was no better than Mcdonalds. If you are going to be there at night, The MIX bar at THEHOTEL at Mandaley, has the best view and great desserts.

I concur on the R.F. O'Sullivans bit.

Well, as of 9:30 that sure is an interesting thread you got started over there. In any case, for sure I'd check with my airline and find out what would be the consequences if I got back late and missed my connection. You are certainly taking a risk. lvnvflyer laid out the scenario fairly well.

This reminds me of some stops I used to make in Cleveland with my daughter while going home to my folks for Xmas. I engineered longer layovers two years running and we took the time to go down to the Rock and Roll museum. It was a great father/daughter bonding experience. Both times we managed it in under 4 hours, but that was a simpler time, well before the contemporary security era.

Heh, yeah I'm thrilled with all the opinions! I don't know, it's all dependent on the time and how i'm feeling, but I sure would like to make it work. What is it about Lotus of Siam that makes it so amazing? Right now I'm leaning toward trying to make it there or to Table 34 or Todds. You can understand though how bummed I'd be just to have to sit in the airport for 3 hours on a Friday night right outside of Vegas? I know it's crazy, but if the timing works out, I think I'll give it a shot!

Heh, yeah I'm thrilled with all the opinions! I don't know, it's all dependent on the time and how i'm feeling, but I sure would like to make it work. What is it about Lotus of Siam that makes it so amazing? Right now I'm leaning toward trying to make it there or to Table 34 or Todds. You can understand though how bummed I'd be just to have to sit in the airport for 3 hours on a Friday night right outside of Vegas? I know it's crazy, but if the timing works out, I think I'll give it a shot!

Definitely avoid the Nathan's Famous at New York New York. Also, the airport is right in the middle of Las Vegas, not outside. Be careful, though, the cabs will clip you.

I would only give yourself an hour and a half away from the airport. The lines in the airport alone are nightmarish. The lines for the cabs can also take 20-30 minutes depending on the time of day or convention schedules.

Unless you are going to Wichcraft at the MGM there is nothing there worth your time. The hotel itself isn't much to see either, unless you want to go visit the little lion habitat.

Unless you are going to Wichcraft at the MGM there is nothing there worth your time. The hotel itself isn't much to see either, unless you want to go visit the little lion habitat.

Do you include the Joel Robuchon restaurants in that comment?