Las Vegas, NV

wineitup

I would only give yourself an hour and a half away from the airport. The lines in the airport alone are nightmarish. The lines for the cabs can also take 20-30 minutes depending on the time of day or convention schedules.

Unless you are going to Wichcraft at the MGM there is nothing there worth your time. The hotel itself isn't much to see either, unless you want to go visit the little lion habitat.

I am not an animal lover, but It is really sad what they are doing to those lions.

There's food at McCarran. Here's a link to the dining section of the airport's web site. It has improved since my 8+ hour layover (!!) there in 2001. One of those situations where there was an hour delay, and then another, and then six and a half. Stupidly I hung out at the airport. It was, you see, my first business trip at my then-new job. My boss had a reputation for frugality (although I was flying first class...) so I was reluctant to check myself into a hotel or even a nice restaurant for a few hours. Silly girl. I killed A LOT of time in the first class lounge. Dullsville.

With security being what it is these days and the aforementioned cab lines, cabbing up the Strip is not a risk I'd take on a three hour layover.

I am not an animal lover, but It is really sad what they are doing to those lions.

I am not sure you can get out of there in an hour.

As to the lions, I don't have details, but I suspect they are better taken care of than those in many if not most zoos. MGM does have a staff of people to take care of them, and I have seen them work and it is quite clear they really love the cats.

As to the other remark, I was commenting on hillvalley's comment that there is nothing worth doing at MGM except the lions and Wichcraft, not on the time it takes to eat there. Since you brought it up, while one certainly couldn't get out of the Mansion quickly, I imagine you could easily at L'Atelier.

You can understand though how bummed I'd be just to have to sit in the airport for 3 hours on a Friday night right outside of Vegas? I know it's crazy, but if the timing works out, I think I'll give it a shot!
Do you include the Joel Robuchon restaurants in that comment?
Unless she can get a reservation and doesn't mind blowing a wad of dough, yes.
There's food at McCarran. Here's a link to the dining section of the airport's web site.With security being what it is these days and the aforementioned cab lines, cabbing up the Strip is not a risk I'd take on a three hour layover.
I'm with JLK on this one. Friday night the cab lines are bound to be longer, not to mention the traffic. Last Friday, during the middle of the day, it took my sister over 45 minutes to get from the airport to MGM. Keep in mind that MGM is one of the closest hotels to the strip, about a mile and a half.
As to the other remark, I was commenting on hillvalley's comment that there is nothing worth doing at MGM except the lions and Wichcraft, not on the time it takes to eat there. Since you brought it up, while one certainly couldn't get out of the Mansion quickly, I imagine you could easily at L'Atelier.
I imagine you could if you sat at the bar. That is assuming you can get in. We tried one night and the hostess pretty much laughed in our face. Without a reservation it was impossible to get into any restaurant on Friday night with the exception of Diego. That being said, our meal at Diego, the hotel's Mexican restaurant, was much better than expected and I would recommend it for a decently overpriced meal. The other big name restaurants make Citronelle look like a bargain.

I can only comment on the food court in the United terminal. It wasn't better than others but it definately wasn't worse. I'd bring a good book, let yourself indulge in airport fast food, and avoid the slots.

I imagine you could if you sat at the bar. That is assuming you can get in. We tried one night and the hostess pretty much laughed in our face. Without a reservation it was impossible to get into any restaurant on Friday night with the exception of Diego.

If one wants to dine on a Friday night in a name restaurant in Las Vegas, one had better have a reservation--sadly, it isn't going to happen otherwise.

Of course one would eat at the bar at L'Atelier--that is what defines L'Atelier and sets it apart (for the uninitiated, it is a food bar, not a drink bar). There are only a few tables along the back wall and that is Siberia. The whole point of the restaurant is to sit at the bar and watch them in their "workshop" preparing and serving the meals. But you definitely had better have a reservation--and that is probably true any night at any Joel Robuchon restaurant anywhere. And yes, you also had better plan to blow a wad of dough. Chef's like that, unfortunately, command high prices.

I recall the food by America West as bad, but the food near Southwest as PAINFUL--worse in that I had a morning flight and a hangover. The offerings near the now-defunct National Airways (or whatever it was called) was also not great, but I'm not sure what took that airline's gates so...sorry.

Very interesting report, John. Of course, for myself, In 'n Out would have been the highlight of the trip but I am biased!!

I was surprised that you didn't have a number of "name" restaurants on the list. I was hoping that you would really splurge/invest in a dinner at Robuchon's at the Mansion. I know of no one who has been there; certainly no one "whose opinion I trust" as I do your's. Or Guy Savoy's. As you know, at the Wynn, Carol and I loved the ambience and style of the room but not the food. It was very good, just a step or two below Citronelle, Maestro and CityZen.

The first time I was at Emeril's in the MGM was just after it opened. Then, he was still occasionally in the kitchen on Tschoupoulitas (sp?) street and the difference was amazing. I liked the Vegas place but with him in his original it really paled. Of course in the mid '90's I would argue that Emeril's was one of the best, if not the best restaurants in America.

But, that was then and by way of an understatement much has changed!

I was in Atlanta for my tradeshow two weeks ago with dinner at Bacchanalia (2X), Rathbun's (2X), Pano and Paul's, Floataway, Seasons 52, etc.

None of them are on par with the three DC restaurants I mentioned above. BUT, I really like Seasons 52, driving twice from downtown to Perimeter Mall to sit at their bar. Outstanding flatbreads (double garlic chicken), excellent planked salmon. Bacchanalia/Quinones (the private room with the 12 course tasting menu) was my favorite.

You should be here to share a glass of wine with me....

Very interesting report, John. Of course, for myself, In 'n Out would have been the highlight of the trip but I am biased!!

I was surprised that you didn't have a number of "name" restaurants on the list. I was hoping that you would really splurge/invest in a dinner at Robuchon's at the Mansion. I know of no one who has been there; certainly no one "whose opinion I trust" as I do your's. Or Guy Savoy's. As you know, at the Wynn, Carol and I loved the ambience and style of the room but not the food. It was very good, just a step or two below Citronelle, Maestro and CityZen.

The first time I was at Emeril's in the MGM was just after it opened. Then, he was still occasionally in the kitchen on Tschoupoulitas (sp?) street and the difference was amazing. I liked the Vegas place but with him in his original it really paled. Of course in the mid '90's I would argue that Emeril's was one of the best, if not the best restaurants in America.

But, that was then and by way of an understatement much has changed!

I was in Atlanta for my tradeshow two weeks ago with dinner at Bacchanalia (2X), Rathbun's (2X), Pano and Paul's, Floataway, Seasons 52, etc.

None of them are on par with the three DC restaurants I mentioned above. BUT, I really like Seasons 52, driving twice from downtown to Perimeter Mall to sit at their bar. Outstanding flatbreads (double garlic chicken), excellent planked salmon. Bacchanalia/Quinones (the private room with the 12 course tasting menu) was my favorite.

You should be here to share a glass of wine with me....

Joe

Thanks for your kind words. Actually, I did dine at Robuchon at the Mansion, last year. We did both RaTM, and L'Atelier, as well as Alex and others last year. That's why we wanted to take the "value" approach this year, that and the fact that on a retiree's budget one needs to throttle back some. I meant to post all about it at the time, but as they say the road to hell is paved......... Briefly, RaTM was very good, the best meal we had then, but of course for that price it should have been. We did the 9 item tasting, and my main recollection is that I substituted one item from the 15 course menu (a tagine), and it turned out to be the best single dish I had there. Maybe that suggests one should go all the way and have the 15 course menu???? The place is extremely pleasant. The night we were there, about a month or two after it opened, it was very uncrowded. You should go; whether it's worth the money is another question. Of course now that Guy Savoy has shown up and raised the price bar once again, Robuchon doesn't look so expensive after all.

I wish I had known you would be in Atlanta. It's only 2 hours away. Next time you're in the 'hood stop by.

Will be in Vegas at the end of the month. Anyone been lately and could report back with any dinner experiences?

Las Vegas has so many restaurants of so many types at so many price levels that it is difficult to know where to start without some parameters. What sort of things are you looking for? How much do you want to spend? How mobile will you be (in particular, will you have wheels, or will you be on the strip only )? Will you be there during a big show (e.g. CES) or a weekend (this affects your strategy and options more than you might think)? Do you prefer to stay in or nearby your hotel?

My post above of Nov. 28 links to my most recent trip report on Chowhound. Search the Chowhound Southwest board--you will get much more information/opinions there.

A recent trip report on CH by Thomas W is spectacular and should be read. Here is a link:

http://www.chowhound.com/topics/354438

My wife and I are planning a trip to Las Vegas in late April. I was excited about the $18.80 lunch and $.25 martinis at Commander's Palace. Unfortunately, I've since learned that it has closed. Does anybody know if this is temporary? Renovations or moving, perhaps?

My wife and I are planning a trip to Las Vegas in late April. I was excited about the $18.80 lunch and $.25 martinis at Commander's Palace. Unfortunately, I've since learned that it has closed. Does anybody know if this is temporary? Renovations or moving, perhaps?

Maybe caught up in the construction that's transforming Aladdin to Planet Hollywood... when I was there last spring, I thought it was supposed to be done by now... but I wouldn't be surprised if there are delays. The press release makes it sound like an indefinite closing.

Maybe caught up in the construction that's transforming Aladdin to Planet Hollywood... when I was there last spring, I thought it was supposed to be done by now... but I wouldn't be surprised if there are delays. The press release makes it sound like an indefinite closing.

AFAIK, it will be reopening somewhere else (Venetian??) some day, but not soon, certainly not by April. I suppose they may have decided that Desert Passage, the mall attached to the Aladdin where they were in fact located, wasn't upscale enough for them any longer.

Dessert Passage is a separately-owned property, and I think is not part of the Planet Hollywood deal, but I'm not sure. If so, I doubt the construction was a factor.

I just got back from my first trip to Las Vegas. While I was there I got a chance to go to Sensi at the Bellagio. What a wonderful experience! The decor is beautiful, the service was great, and the food was delicious. As soon as you got up from your chair, the waiters replaced your napkin with a new one (that will always get me bonus points) The waiters were almost too nice. Anyways, the food. I had a kobe beef appetizer. It was great. For my entree i had the Braised Veal. Wow, that veal was so good. Very tender and tasty. I also go the tempura asparagus. The sauce that comes with that is addicting. For dessert I had a chocolate cake. Compared to the first two cources, it was just ok. I will definitely be going back next time in Vegas

My wife and I will be on a bit of a budget while we're out in LV. We're planning on going to Lotus of Siam, and we're trying to think of something else that will be pretty nice. Unfortunately, most of the "name" restaurants (Mina's, Colichio's, etc.) out there do not list prices on their menus. Can we get out of any of these sort of places for about $200 (including tax and tip)? We'll probably only have a glass of wine each.

Bouchon in the Venetian and, perhaps remarkably the highest rated restaurant in Vegas for food by Zagat is Rosemary's off the Strip. It is considerably less expensive than a similar restaurant on the Strip. I have not been but it might be worth a serious look. http://www.zagat.com/verticals/PropertyDet...526N%253D120+42

And, of course, In 'n Out which is only a few blocks from the Strip. Double Double animal style, well done fries and a Neopolitan shake. A four X four animal style if you're hungry and have a big mouth...

Lotus of Siam is an absolute must.

My wife and I will be on a bit of a budget while we're out in LV. We're planning on going to Lotus of Siam, and we're trying to think of something else that will be pretty nice. Unfortunately, most of the "name" restaurants (Mina's, Colichio's, etc.) out there do not list prices on their menus. Can we get out of any of these sort of places for about $200 (including tax and tip)? We'll probably only have a glass of wine each.

The best deal in Vegas is the pre fix menu at Daniel Boulund Brasserie at the Wynn hotel; it's three courses until 7pm for around $45. Check our Witchcraft at the MGM for some really good sandwiches for lunch.

I'm glad for the heads up for 'wichcraft @ MGM Grand. I'm staying there for four or five nights over next weekend. The people I'll be with are going to be more into that, for the most part, than Joel Robochon.

Has anyone eaten at Diego @ MGM? I expect I might get to do a compare-o at CraftSteak (psyched). A friend who lives in Vegas has suggested Stack (Mirage) or Rao's (Caesars; friend works for Harrah's which owns Caesars so I'm wondering if he's biased or if it's good).

I tried Diego in May of 2006 and it was pretty good, especially for the price relative to other restaurants in the MGM and Vegas in general. I had a braised pork dish with some kind of habanero salsa. They don't shy away from spicy and bold flavors, which is nice. Strong margaritas as well.

I'll be in Vegas for an absurb amount of time in a few weeks. Ideas off the strip? After the first few Vegas meals, I'll be looking for something away from monkeys in Convention halls. Outside stuff with real trees and away from faux international cities (ie New York, Paris, etc.) a plus.

I'll be in Vegas for an absurb amount of time in a few weeks. Ideas off the strip? After the first few Vegas meals, I'll be looking for something away from monkeys in Convention halls. Outside stuff with real trees and away from faux international cities (ie New York, Paris, etc.) a plus.

You'll need a car or an expensive taxi ride for most off-strip places you might want to go, so factor that into your plans.

High on your list ought to be Rosemary's, Todd's Unique, Lotus of Siam, Table 34, and Ventano's. Don't forget In-N-Out and Luv-it Custard. If you want a place with trees it will be hard to beat Veranda, tho technically it's on the Strip (Four Seasons). A good place to search for more info on all these as well as many other possibilities is the Chowhound Southwest board. Go to the search box and type in "best Las Vegas." About 500 threads will come up. Look through some of the recent ones.

The better half and I will be celebrating my sisters' birthdays during the week of July 4th in Vegas. We'll have a couple of nights to ourselves and are planning to hit L'Atelier de Joel Robuchon in the MGM and Okada in the Wynn, both for dinner.

Any one have any thoughts on these two establishments or other suggestions?

Thanks!

The better half and I will be celebrating my sisters' birthdays during the week of July 4th in Vegas. We'll have a couple of nights to ourselves and are planning to hit L'Atelier de Joel Robuchon in the MGM and Okada in the Wynn, both for dinner.

Any one have any thoughts on these two establishments or other suggestions?

Thanks!

There are of course dozens of choices, but that said, the two you have mentioned are perfectly fine. I assume you are looking for a very high end/new wavy Japanese experience and that is why you selected Okada. It is very good, but certainly not economical. If what you seek is just good ole traditional sushi, then there are more appropriate choices, particularly off the strip, tho nothing you can't find, say, in Washington.

It won't hurt to get reservations well in advance, particularly for L'Atelier. Much depends on whether you plan to go on the weekend, and/or whether there is a big convention in town, eityher of which cause things to get congested.

I'm looking for bar/lounge recommendations on or near the strip. I'm looking for two types of places. The first should be classy and elegant, but not overly hip and trendy. I'd like to drink a martini or a nice glass of wine at this place. The second should be old-school vegas, divey, cheesy, campy or some combination of these. I'd like to drink a beer or a rail drink here. Can anybody help me?

I'm looking for bar/lounge recommendations on or near the strip. I'm looking for two types of places. The first should be classy and elegant, but not overly hip and trendy. I'd like to drink a martini or a nice glass of wine at this place. The second should be old-school vegas, divey, cheesy, campy or some combination of these. I'd like to drink a beer or a rail drink here. Can anybody help me?

For old-school, divey, and cheesy, there is only one glaring, clear, choice, and that is Peppermill. Pure classic Las Vegas on steroids, a rapidly dying breed.

For classy but not overly trendy, that's tough. While there are restaurants that could be recommended, bars/lounges in LV which are classy and elegant (by local standards) are also generally hip and trendy. That's just Vegas baby. Mix Lounge, which is an Alain Ducasse operation, would be one possibility. Others might be any lounge in one of the top hotels such as Bellagio or Wynn. But don't expect a serene (or inexpensive) experience anywhere.

Thanks for the responses, JLK and JohnB.

I'll be staying at the Barbary Coast.

The Peppermill is also a sort of diner, correct?

It has some diner-like aspects, but it goes well beyond that. Here's one description:

Yes, there's a place where it's still 1974--where, for a few carefree hours, one can sink back into a plush booth next to a bubbling pool of fire; where cocktail waitresses in full-length gowns bring you mai tais and zombies while you munch on salted almonds and bask in the hazy, blue- and red-tinged glow. That place is Peppermill's Fireside Lounge, where the vast couches promote a high level of intimacy for a public space.

BTW, they say the best time to go is very late, because it's a popular hangout for the show folks especially the showgirls, and all that makes for some very good people-watching.

In Vegas last week, we had outstanding meals at Bouchon, Enoteca San Marco and Lotus of Siam.

Bouchon's specials menu looked too good to pass up so it was seared scallops with lobster reduction for me. The scallops came with whipped potatoes and a chilled white and green asparagus salad. I really liked the firm, sweet flesh of the scallops. They had none of the metallic aftertaste that I find so offputting about other sea scallops I've had. Gavin got the Aussie "flap" steak. It looked like a tenderloin, and the waiter tried to explain exactly where on the cow this came from, but it was no Landrum anatomy lesson, so I came away unenlightened. Dry aged for six weeks then wet aged for a few more days, the meat was juicy and beefy. Very tender. The roasted golden beets and potatoes that came with were excellent.

Enoteca San Marco is Mario Batalli's "casual" restaurant at the Venetian. The wine list is dedicated to Italian wines and quite extensive. Should you choose a glass as opposed to bottle, you will get a quartino which is about two and a half glasses worth. They cure thier own meats save the proscuitto, which comes from Parma. We got the three cheese sample; Rochetta, Aged Peppercorn and Pecorino Stagionato. All came with truffled honey, apricot moustarda and brandied cherries. YUM! My Spaghetti alla Carbonara was rich with egg and cheese, studded with pancetta and lots of pepper, exactly to my taste. We also tried Pennette alla Norma, robust tomato sauce with roasted eggplant. The dish was finished with dollops of creme fraiche and basil chiffonade. To finish everything off, we had two gelato, one roasted cinnamon and one cardamom flavor. Both were great. I was of the opinion that the cardamom would taste great combined with the tangerine sorbet they offered. We didn't order that, though.

Lotus of Siam was all you've read about here on the board; unassuming, out of the way and out of this world. The menu is extensive and interesting. It definitely made me wish that I could make a second stop during my visit. We shared chicken Pad Thai and Kra Phao Moo Krob: Stir-fried crispy side pork with basil. Man, that pork was good! Lots of Thai basil and garlic.

I just want to throw this out to the peanut gallery since I'm terribly conflicted:

If you had to choose between these two activities, which would you choose?

1) Dinner at L'Atleier de Joel Robuchon; or

2) Seeing Wayne Newton in concert with seats in the first few rows?

I just want to throw this out to the peanut gallery since I'm terribly conflicted:

Both will be there again, but Wayne is more mobile. I was faced with the same decision with a Prince show.

If you are there on May 31, you should check out Epicurean Affairs and the "rave cave" (wild).

Wayne has lost most of his voice, and that's why he lost his contract at the now-decimated Stardust.

I'd take the meal, or see Blue Man Group.

Tough call, but I'd go with Wayne. My wife and I saw him a couple of years ago and it was awesome - in a totally campy, Las Vegas sorta way. Sure he has totally lost his voice, but dammit if it wasn't awesome when he sang "MacArthur Park" and "Danke Schön". His band is fantastic. I mean, he is Mr. Freakin' Las Vegas. Plus, if you're in the first few rows, he'll like totally make out with you.

Don't get me wrong. We were in Vegas a couple of weeks ago, and I was drooling just looking at L'Atelier's menu and setting. I would have loved to have dined there (no way I could afford it, though).

Robuchon has restaurants all over the world that will be around for some time. The clock is ticking on Wayne.

Just my 2 cents.

Escaping from my, um, oh-so-interesting suite at the Palms, I found BOA to be a welcome respite. Sleek, calming. Fortunately the food didn't suck either. B)

Highlights included BOA's take on insalata caprese: a stack (yeah, I know) of beautiful, ripe summer tomatoes with buffalo mozzarella with small dabs of herbed burrata on either side. I ate every last bite. My rib eye with herb butter was flavorful and large, not to mention expensive ($45; fortunately my dinner companion/mentor was paying :angry:). Unfortunately, he didn't order anything I wanted to try: plain mixed greens, grilled prawns ("no butter") and bamboo steamed vegetables.

When I ordered doughnuts, about 10 arrived. He ate three, I polished off the rest - really - particularly enjoying the raspberry dipping sauce.

In November, I'll be going to Vegas (for business) for the first time ever. There are tons of places to blow my measly per diem, but if I can only have ONE high-end, delicious meal, where should it be?

Also, where are the good non-bank-breaking places to dine? My conference is at the Venetian, and I'll probably be staying either at Harrah's or Caesar's (though that is still up in the air). I won't have a car, but I'm not opposed to walking or taking a reasonably priced cab ride.

Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated!

In November, I'll be going to Vegas (for business) for the first time ever. There are tons of places to blow my measly per diem, but if I can only have ONE high-end, delicious meal, where should it be?

Also, where are the good non-bank-breaking places to dine? My conference is at the Venetian, and I'll probably be staying either at Harrah's or Caesar's (though that is still up in the air). I won't have a car, but I'm not opposed to walking or taking a reasonably priced cab ride.

Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated!

Betty

Where to start! If money (for that one meal) is no object, then the Big Big places (generally in descending order of cost) are Guy Savoy, the two Joel Robuchon places (L'Atelier (less formal) and Mansion (very formal) both in the MGM), Alex at the Wynn and Picasso at Belagio. Rosemary's is good and less expensive but is well off the Strip. Ditto for Todds Unique. There are many others too---go back on this thread, or better try the Chowhound Southwest board.

Among non-bank-breakers are certainly Bouchon at Venetian (a Thomas Keller bistro-style restaurant) which is great for breakfast, and Lotus of Siam (a taxi ride but well worth it).

These only scratch the surface of the possibilities.

Among non-bank-breakers are certainly Bouchon at Venetian (a Thomas Keller bistro-style restaurant) which is great for breakfast, and Lotus of Siam (a taxi ride but well worth it).

I agree that Bouchon is a wonderful choice. I would also recommend Daniel Boulud's cafe in the Wynn for the price fix (?) menu, which is a terrific deal. I know people have their opinions about Bobby Flay, but Mesa Grill is one of the few "celebrity" restaurants that is open for lunch, and my wife and I thought it was very good (much of the food on the dinner menu is offered for lunch at significantly lower prices). For something even more casual, Colicchio's 'wichcraft in the MGM makes some pretty good sandwiches.

Bouchon is amazing, I would also recommend Bradley Ogden in Caesar's. Jasmine in Bellagio is also pretty amazing Chinese food.

if you are looking for cheap delicious eats- i would check out Bonito Michocan- off Decatur- slightly off the strip. It's one of a family of 3 restaurants in vegas- Lindo and Viva michocan. Bonito is my favorite Mexican restaurant. I love their chicken mole, homemade corn tortillas, fresh guacamole, and churros.

Any of their non burrito-taco-enchilada dishes are amazing- they have a carnitas with coca-cola, another with 3 salsas, birria, all amazingly good.

Not too pricey and worth it.