How Millennials Drink Wine

lperry

The story, and particularly the New Yorker story that it links in turn, once again make a valid point (that I no doubt have become boring through repeating so often, as in "here comes that party-pooper johnb again").  The differences we find in wine often, maybe always, are based more on our pre-existing expectations of what the wine will taste like than on the objective qualities of the liquid itself that we taste.  This manner in which we fool ourselves is not limited to wine, of course -- it's also true of foods as diverse as e.g. eggs (the depth of color of the yolk has no effect on taste), organic foods in general (taste the same as non-organic counterparts otherwise raised similarly), beer (need I say more) and  a myriad of others.  Nor is it limited to foods.  This is how our brains work.  Our judgement of things is ruled not by what they are, but what we thought they were going to be.

Could this be more contradictory? The rich former airline pilot (?) vs. the "mom and pop" winery ... And "passion" is as much a cliché as the "adversity" rich athletes face when the ball bounces the other way.

3. Love a good tale. These consumers like wines that are made with "passion" and have a "story." The story often goes something like this: "Former airline pilot/teacher/CEO starts his or her winery on a patch of land like no other in search of the perfect bottle."

This generation likes to know who's making their wine and its members often favor mom and pop wineries. This allows them to know more about what they are drinking, ...

Could this be more contradictory? The rich former airline pilot (?) vs. the "mom and pop" winery ... And "passion" is as much a cliché as the "adversity" rich athletes face when the ball bounces the other way.

3. Love a good tale. These consumers like wines that are made with "passion" and have a "story." The story often goes something like this: "Former airline pilot/teacher/CEO starts his or her winery on a patch of land like no other in search of the perfect bottle."

This generation likes to know who's making their wine and its members often favor mom and pop wineries. This allows them to know more about what they are drinking, ...

I think Mom or Pop could easily be a retired pilot as well as a teacher if "mom and pop" is interpreted as meaning a family-run business with no particular financial implication.  I don't believe small, start-up wineries are typically very profitable, but I may be wrong about that.  It's also my guess that the "passion" is related to knowing about a person or persons who make the wine instead of drinking wine "made" by a big, faceless corporation.  That hypothesis is based on the numbers of millennials I see at local wineries talking with the owners and clearly enjoying that connection.  Yes, there's probably some poor word choice in there, but not everyone writes about wine as eloquently or meaningfully as some do. ;)