Peter Chang Really HAS Been Found!

gnatharobed

OK folks- here's what I've been able to find out, none of this is confirmed but I hear Peter Chang's new restaurant will be called China Gourmet.  It's gonna be at 9901 Lee Highway in Fairfax and is scheduled to open March 15th.

That would be consistent with what I was told during my final visit to TemptAsian, when it was confirmed that he was gone from there. IIRC, they said he would be at a place on Lee Hy., far out somewhere.

That would be consistent with what I was told during my final visit to TemptAsian, when it was confirmed that he was gone from there.  IIRC, they said he would be at a place on Lee Hy., far out somewhere.

LOL everything is relative, I guess. This "far out somewhere" location is just west of Fairfax Circle on 50/29, in the vicinity of local red sauce favorite The Espositos'.

For us boondockers this is good news. <_<

I had lunch in his new place today, in the company of a knowledgable Atlanta chow-head. We had a few of the old standby's and one off-the-menu item he did up special: crispy eggplant cut like french fries and salt fried with scallion greens, a hint of cumin, and hot pepper. To die for!

The menu, which is actually printed pretty well this time and with only a few typos, would look familiar to any of his fans, but has a few new departures (at least that I don't remember) such as lemon grass in some dishes. There are 170 named items (the "good" menu). You can safely skip the buffet. :)

We sat and talked for a while; unfortunately, I was having trouble with the translated English I got, but he seems happy and apparently is a partner. His wife is still with him of course, doing the appetizers. Apparently he will be concentrating on dinner this time, and the restaurant has hired another expert chef to help, especially with lunch. Note to PandaHugga: he still has your card in his wallet.

Due to concerns down there about too much information getting out while the place is still ramping up, I won't be specific about the name or location in an open forum; let's just say it's in the Atlanta area. I respect the concern, not least in light of the Szechuan Boy fiasco. If anyone wants to know more just PM me.

2.5 hour drive from my new digs. Not too bad--could have been Ohio! :)

John--you've become to Chef Zhang somewhat like the people who used to follow the Grateful Dead and the Phish around the country, attending all of their concerts. And so familiar with the material that the slightest nuances of change were celebrated. And here I was thinking that driving to Fairfax for dinner was a big shlep! I presume that you told him that James has moved to Beijing.

Is anyone able to give us newbies some backstory? :)

If you read this thread about TemptAsian, you will get some idea of Chef Chang's history in restaurants here. From the Chinese embassy to China Star to TemptAsian to China Gourmet . . . before he dropped out of sight. He created a cult following among some Rockweillers and, as you can see, some of us will go to great lengths to get at those baby wontons in chili oil and cumin laced fish again.

If you read this thread about TemptAsian, you will get some idea of Chef Chang's history in restaurants here. From the Chinese embassy to China Star to TemptAsian to China Gourmet . . . before he dropped out of sight. He created a cult following among some Rockweillers and, as you can see, some of us will go to great lengths to get at those baby wontons in chili oil and cumin laced fish again.
I just read the TemptAsian thread...thanks to you (and Lydia!) for the directional arrow. Now, how quickly can I get to Atlanta? I'm awfully hungry!

John, this is the first restaurant that doesn't want customers since, well, since Ray's the Steaks. Has the new place been reviewed? Do the Atlanta papers know about the soap opera that went on here?

Well, the idea among my Atlanta friends seems to be to not have that happen until the staff are ready for the onslaught that may ensue.

Almost nobody outside the Chinese community knows about the restaurant yet, and AFAIK the only non-Chinese person in Atlanta who knows Chang's history is the friend I had lunch with (and any of his buddies he may have shared it with since), because I told him all about it--he had no clue until we met at the place and I asked to see "the chef." BTW, until I got there I wasn't sure it was really going to be Chang in the kitchen--I had only pieced some bits of information about the restaurant together and concluded that he surely must be there; I walked in and immediately looked around for the famous picture on the wall, and sure enough there is was, right behind the cash register. Bingo!

Anyway, my friends feel that, once the restaurant, especially the service staff, is ready, it will be more appropriate for word to get into the non-Chinese mainstream. They want to hold off until then. The Chinese community is already tuned in to the place, so there's no issue of the restaurant having enough revenues to chalk it up as a success.

Zora--I don't really want to think of myself as a Chang-head, but admittedly I have had a little bit to do with promoting him around town in the past. My excitement about this is obviously intertwined with the fact that I recently moved to Western North Carolina. All my friends were wondering what I'd be doing around here for good eats, especially of the ethnic variety. Having this guy show up so close certainly takes the edge off that. But I must add that Atlanta has an astounding degree of ethnic diversity. Indian, Chinese, Korean, Mexican, Vietnamese, you name it, it's here are there are good examples of all those cuisines. Not only that, many of the places I liked to shop at are there too. The Super H is bigger and has more stuff than the one in Fairfax. Same for Restaurant Depot. And there are dozens of little ethnic stores of all kinds. All within easy day-trip range. Also, in fairness to my new home state of NC, you can eat well here, especially the fresh veggies etc. that are everywhere. Too bad there's no good Q this far west; sigh.

And yes I told him James had moved to China, tho it took him a bit of time to absorb it---he obviously thought he was getting a wrong translation.

Yes, BUT, how many people are there in the Atlanta area who are as interested in eating "Authentic" Sichuan food as we were?

I ask this as someone who will be going down that way next summer for my Aunt's 100th birthday (yes, that's right: 100) AND will be accompanied not only by Dame Edna, but with my other Aunt who likes "spicy" food as much as I do.

Please, please, please let Chef Chang last long enough down there so that I can taste his food once again. :)

For anyone who may be interested, or have the opportunity to visit Atlanta, my friends there have broken radio silence and decided to post about Chang's new place. So I can now be more specific.

Tasty China

585 Franklin Road SE

Marietta, Ga. 30067

770-419-9849

Marietta is NW of Atlanta, just outside the "beltway." The restaurant just off I-75, at the exit for "Loop 120." It is in a strip mall of course--some things never change.

Chang is cooking mostly in the evening, AFAIK. To my knowledge the restaurant doesn't have a web site.

Here is a link to the chowhound post:

http://www.chowhound.com/topics/show/334616

The menu descriptions will sound very familiar to many. I will be adding some DC back story to the thread shortly.

For anyone who may be interested, or have the opportunity to visit Atlanta, my friends there have broken radio silence and decided to post about Chang's new place. So I can now be more specific.
Thanks for breaking radio silence. I was thinking about sending you a PM because I am contemplating a trip back home to Louisiana later this month, and of course would swing through Hotlanta just for this restaurant. My sister was there this past weekend, and I offered to ask you for her, but she's not at all an adventurous eater. If I don't go later this month, in November, for sure. Hope he's still there! :)

Surprised at the comment on "factory wrappers" for the won tons in chili oil. The wrappers at China Star were like gossamer, not so at Tempt Asian and China Boy. What's up with that?

Also, what is the deal about BYO? What, if you know, is legal in Atlanta? BYO beer, wine, hard liquor? Pay a corkage fee? I have no experience with this. But I do consider beer to be an essential element in enjoying Chef Chang's cuisine.

Either beer, or a fire extinguisher. :)

Not sure if this should go on the Atlanta topic or here but...

I took the family for food at Peter Chang's new restaurant in the suburbs of Atlanta, Tasty China. The restaurant was packed and only 2 servers spoke some English which I took for a very good sign. We asked the owner to bring us a couple of appetizers and some main courses that he would recommend.

We started with the baby wontons which were packed with flavor and in a delicious broth full of tiny shrimp. Along with this dish we had the numbing beef with chili. The beef was dried beef with tons of chilies and cilantro. Amazing. The next appetizer were fiery tiny fried whole fish, crispy and delicious. Finally to cool our mouths we had the 5 spice pancake which was doughy and tasted of roasted corriander and cinnamon.

Then the entrees started arriving....

First was the szechuan beef, thin slivers battered and fried with chilies, then the sweet fish with rice noodles and greens, a sweet, spicey and sour diced chicken, pork ribs with fried? batter bits??, another beef with vegetables and a tangy citrus sauce. I can't tell you how full and happy we were. My mouth was still tingling later that evening :)

I can't wait to go back with all the reviews I found today. (We were moving my dad into his new digs, hence no computer.)

I have never had Chinese food like it. When the owner found out I live in NYC, he gave me the name of a place in Flushing. He wrote the name in Chinese so now, I am going to try and find it...

Can't wait to go back to Atlanta to eat more szechuan...

Was at the restaurant again yesterday. The carryout menu now has a little bio on Chang; it talks about the televised contests he won in China and his time at the Dynasty Hotel in Beijing, his time in Washington starting in 2000, and goes on to say that he went to Atlanta because it was a chance to have a piece of the action--it said he had been offered "many head chef jobs" in the DC area but apparently not with partnership. We talked for a moment, and he did say he misses his many friends in Washington.

The restaurant's business is picking up. Apparently you can barely get in on weekends because the entire Chinese community is there.

The Atlanta Journal Constitution is now aware he is in town. They did a little video clip that stars Chang and his sidekick Wong, and talks about Sichuan peppercorns (it's basically entitled "Ma La"). Here is a link:

http://www.ajc.com/news/mplayer/m/6224

I think you can just click, but it may require signing up.

Some information has come my way that Chang may have returned to the Va suburbs to partner in a new place. I will update when and if I learn more.
Nooooooooooo! I was planning on an Atlanta run in May.

Well, on the other hand, if he really is coming here, YES! YES! YES!

I have new information, and it is basically not the greatest news. The word is Chang is returning to Virginia all right, but hardly the DC area. He will next be found in Richmond, of all places, at an existing place called Hong Kong House, said to be near 64 and 250, wherever that is. I gather he'll be there about two weeks from now or so. This came to me one step removed from the horse's mouth by the way.

Meanwhile, his old place in Marietta (Atlanta) seems to have experienced something like the old China Star--they have found new cooks who are doing a good job with Chang's old menu items. Probably not of much interest to Rockwellians, but if you're ever in Atlanta it apparently is a good choice for Chinese.

So if anyone gets to Richmond, check it out and let me know. Maybe I'll stop there on my next return trip to DC.

I have new information, and it is basically not the greatest news. The word is Chang is returning to Virginia all right, but hardly the DC area. He will next be found in Richmond, of all places, at an existing place called Hong Kong House, said to be near 64 and 250, wherever that is. I gather he'll be there about two weeks from now or so. This came to me one step removed from the horse's mouth by the way.

Meanwhile, his old place in Marietta (Atlanta) seems to have experienced something like the old China Star--they have found new cooks who are doing a good job with Chang's old menu items. Probably not of much interest to Rockwellians, but if you're ever in Atlanta it apparently is a good choice for Chinese.

So if anyone gets to Richmond, check it out and let me know. Maybe I'll stop there on my next return trip to DC.

The intersection of Interstate 64 and Hwy 250 sounds more like Charlottesville than Richmond. There is, indeed, a Hong Kong Restaurant and Buffet in Charlottesville, not all that near the intersection of 250 and 64 but in the same small part of the Universe. But if the name of the restaurant is, indeed, Hong Kong House, I think that's in Virginia Beach.

The intersection of Interstate 64 and Hwy 250 sounds more like Charlottesville than Richmond. There is, indeed, a Hong Kong Restaurant and Buffet in Charlottesville, not all that near the intersection of 250 and 64 but in the same small part of the Universe. But if the name of the restaurant is, indeed, Hong Kong House, I think that's in Virginia Beach.

That's in Oilville (aaaawlville) which is Goochland County. It's about 45-50 minutes from I95, heading northwest from Richmond. Pretty much country out that way.

As someone who actually has to be in the far northern suburbs of Atlanta next month, I was SOOOO looking forward to dinner in Marietta and eating Peter Chang's food. So much for that. ;) Although, a trip to his former stomping grounds might well prove to be the best food we eat all week . . .

This is more confoosin than amoosin. Has the genius chef in fact showed up anywhere? Is he avoiding the federales or what? And why hasn't the Journal-Constitution noticed this loss to their area?

I called Hong Kong House in Virginia Beach. No dice. Their chef hasn't changed in 12 years. The hunt goes on.
I checked again, and Hwy 250 does go through Richmond under the name Broad Street. There is a West Broad and an East Broad. West Broad intersects I-64 a couple of times, first near Short Pump and second not that far from University of Richmond.

I couldn't find any Chinese restaurants with Hong Kong in the name near either intersection. Two with the name Hong Kong but I wouldn't say at all close to the above stated intersections.

Richmond Dining Guide I believe the neighborhood is called West End. There are a few Chinese restaurants, with promising names like China Star, Full Kee, and the like.

I'd love to know, as we'll be in Richmond this weekend, and go there often.

I checked again, and Hwy 250 does go through Richmond under the name Broad Street. There is a West Broad and an East Broad. West Broad intersects I-64 a couple of times, first near Short Pump and second not that far from University of Richmond.

I couldn't find any Chinese restaurants with Hong Kong in the name near either intersection. Two with the name Hong Kong but I wouldn't say at all close to the above stated intersections.

Richmond Dining Guide I believe the neighborhood is called West End. There are a few Chinese restaurants, with promising names like China Star, Full Kee, and the like.

I'd love to know, as we'll be in Richmond this weekend, and go there often.

The area is the West End of Richmond/Glen Allen - Innsbrook. What divides the former from the latter is I-64. The Chinese places there are established but perhaps have had a change of chef.

Thanks! We go to Knoxville once or twice a year to visit my wife's parents. I'll pass this on to the adventurous eaters in her family, and plan on stopping in myself when I'm there.

Why do I have the feeling that when you finally get back to Knoxville he will have already moved on for unknown reasons?

Lord in Heaven, I just drove through Knoxville two days ago. If only I had known!

Now the previous clues make a bit of sense. The claim he went to a place called Hong Kong was correct. There was also some talk he had gone to Nashville, and I had followed that lead to no avail. Obviously Nashville was confused with Knoxville. All those places in Tennessee---you've seen one, you've seen'em all.

Anyway it's only about a two hour drive for me, so I'll surely be up there soon, hopefully before he flees the coop again.

If only that were true John, then I'd eat Memphis 'cue a lot more often!

Well of course my original statement was tongue-in-cheek. Better it should be tongue-in-BBQ, whether of the Memphis or the Chinese variety, or better yet both. Hmmm, I'd better check the mileage from Knoxville to Memphis.

Yep. Published reports of his whereabouts seem to prompt a more-or-less immediate move.

Heisenberg uncertainty principle is the statement that locating a particle in a small region of space makes the momentum of the particle uncertain; and conversely, that measuring the momentum of a particle precisely makes the position uncertain.

Peter Chiang Certainty principle is that once Peter C. has been found in an exact location, the is already gone.

Okay. My mom and dad are on the case and will report back, assuming my famously spicy-food-averse mom survives the experience.

ETA: And assuming Chang is still there, seeing as how it's been a couple of weeks since that article appeared.

I got there Monday, on my latest trip between North Carolina and Indiana. Lunchtime, just after opening at 11. Walked in but didn't see the usual pictures of the president of China and the medals, so was a bit concerned. But I asked for him, and after a bit of confusion on their parts they went into the back, and sure enough after a few minutes, Mrs. Chang comes out and recognizes me. Smiles and hugs all around. Then PC himself comes out, and another round of handshakes, hugs, and smiles ensues. (This is the third time we have been through this scenario). So after the greetings we sit down, with the young lady of the restaurant acting as interpreter (although I will say PC has begun to pick up a little English). Turns out he has signed a five year contract with the place, and since about 1 year is up he expects to be there 4 more years. Maybe it will stick this time. He says it isn't as "good" as Atlanta, lots less Chinese people of course, but he seems happy. He and Mrs. Chang appear to be doing most of the cooking, even for the buffet which appears to contain many of his menu items in addition to the usual buffet stuff--I spoke to one of the regulars there, who knew about him and had dined many times at Temptasian in the old days when visiting DC, and who vouched for its quality. PC even showed me they also had a cart loaded with little steamers of dumplings of various kinds The menu is very extensive, and his best stuff is grouped into a few clear areas ("Classic Dishes," "Chef's Special," "Sichuan Cuisine") and it's easy to find the good stuff.

He also mentioned his daughter remains in school in DC.

The place won't win any prizes for decor, but there is a large group of pictures just inside the door of many of his famous dishes, and some seeming newbies.

He asked what I'd like and I just asked him to make something good to eat. That led to a bowl of won tons in red oil (big ones, not the mini ones he [she] used to do), and a plate of the corriander fish rolls (better than ever) along with some of the bean curd skin rice squares. All great. Then two mains--spicy and numbing fish in fillet pot, basically the fish fillet in red sauce (T6), but this time with mushrooms floating on top, really good, and then one of his best dishes ever, crispy shrimp with scallion (S4), which was fried breaded shrimp with the scallions and fried onion slivers, like tiny bits of onion ring, truly the best onions I ever had and one of his best dishes. The quality of the whole thing was even better than I expected.

I ordered several items to take with me. Several were cold apps., and since I was going a long way they took the trouble to make up a little cooler from an old 5 gal. soy sauce bucket and some ice. Very thoughtful. They even carried all the stuff out to my car for me when I left. The restaurant didn't charge me for the meal, just the carry out. I'm still eating my way through it all, but can report that the hot and spicy corned beef with cilantro (#30) is spectacular.

I'll be stopping back on the return trip on Saturday, and will report further.

I took the bull by the horns, called TemptAsian and spoke with "the manager". Where is Peter Chang working now? He's on vacation. When will he be back? That's up to him. If he's just on vacation, why are his pictures and plaques gone from the wall? That's customary. Well, where can we reach him -- we have someone who can talk to him in Chinese. Tell the Chinese person to call me, I'll be glad to talk to him.

Conclusion: there's something fishy in that restaurant, and it's not trout.

The hunt for Peter Chang continues. It's just a question of whether we find him before la migra (immigration) does. If we do, we'll adopt him, marry him, convert him, whatever it takes.
Why do I have the feeling that when you finally get back to Knoxville he will have already moved on for unknown reasons?
Yep. Published reports of his whereabouts seem to prompt a more-or-less immediate move.
After all of these moves I have a feeling that there is something more to it than an aversion to the spotlight.

Yeah, call me paranoid, and I don't want to add to the rumor-mongering*, but if Sthitch's feeling and StephenB's supposition are correct, then fer chrissakes shouldn't we refrain from posting Chef's whereabouts?! Start a secret society or something. Give the man a chance. [note: no horse in the race; never was a real fan; just thinking out loud]

-------

*Rocks please delete this post if you believe I've crossed a line

Yeah, call me paranoid, and I don't want to add to the rumor-mongering*, but if Sthitch's feeling and StephenB's supposition are correct, then fer chrissakes shouldn't we refrain from posting Chef's whereabouts?! Start a secret society or something. Give the man a chance. [note: no horse in the race; never was a real fan; just thinking out loud]

-------

*Rocks please delete this post if you believe I've crossed a line

Stephen B also once posited he might be on the lam due to La Migra or something similar, but I don't think so. And this time he seems to have a contract, so it would seem things are on the up and up. The article in the local press in Knoxville identified him by name. Of course the contract, if true, is good news and bad news, especially for those in DC who would like to see him return to DC., which maybe isn't so far fetched since his daughter is in school there. As always, stay tuned.