Restaurant Week, Summer 2014 - August 11-17

Scott Johnston

In the early days of RW, I tended to go to 6-8 new restaurants that I had not tried or that I wanted to get a deal from. The original purpose was to try new places during a "slow" time. Win Win for owners, chefs and customers. These were fun, often  dining with the DR crowd and a great deal to try new places or see old favorites. After a few years, I started to avoid RW because of the crowds and that the menus were often dumbed down to support the mods or contained numerous upcharges, of course there were (and still are ) exceptions to this. In addition, RW went from one week to weeks in Baltimore, Bethesda, Rockville...etc etc.  I remember Dean Gold would run the special all month and other places for a extra week or so.

Lots of great stories and horror stories if you look in past posts (each week would have its own thread where we would list was was the special and post our experience).

Well, we went to ORSO last night and had a great RW meal,lunch today was at Grapeseed (which had lots of guests) and we may hit a place or two more before the week is out.

So where did you dine or avoid dining this week?

• Like 1

Just a word to set expectations, following my family's meal there last night.  2 appetizers does not mean 2 starters; it means app-size portions of 2 starters (I've never had the butternut squash and lentil salad before, but it looked about half the size of the beet and baby carrot salad I usually get, and the kale salad we got looked about 1/4 to 1/3 the size of a regular salad).  Pizzas were excellent as usual, but the desserts also appeared to be about half their usual size.  Don't get me wrong - food was great and still a good value, but not the fantastic value I was anticipating.