Dinner Parties

Heather

When is it a dinner party vs. having dinner with friends?

I'm still on my (making the perfect) biscuit kick and have had one too many biscuit and honey/butter/jam meals. Hence, the meal was built around the biscuits. Started off with a selection of Cowgirl Creamery cheeses; Crisp Roasted Chicken (Cook's Illustrated; gawd! I loved stabbing the heck out of that bird); mixed greens (kale and collards) with bacon; cornmeal biscuits; and, raspberry and blackberry cobbler.

The biscuits were a disaster. We checked the biscuits halfway through the cooking time... they had flattened during cooking... and they looked like oatmeal cookies. A quick trip to Florida Avenue Grill saved the meal.

On Saturday, an exploration of fennel dinner with friends

cocktails: fennel julep OR bloody Mary with fennel infused gin

apps: braised fennel and leek spread on fresh baguette

soup: ricotta, fennel and leek ravioli in fennel broth garnished with micro-fennel

main: pan seared pork loin over caramelized onion and fennel with fennel cream sauce

side: fennel, asparagus and blue cheese gratin

dessert: caramelized fennel and apple compote tart

Thanks to all for great food, drinks and conversation! Everything was amazing, and surprisingly not "fennel overload". Though I did call my cat Fennel rather than Flannel more than once after dinner. ;)

soup: ricotta, fennel and leek ravioli in fennel broth garnished with micro-fennel

main: pan seared pork loin over caramelized onion and fennel with fennel cream sauce

Thanks to all for great food, drinks and conversation! Everything was amazing, and surprisingly not "fennel overload". Though I did call my cat Fennel rather than Flannel more than once after dinner. ;)

Fresh fennel and fennel seed, I assume. Did you use any fennel pollen?

Would you mind sharing how you made your fennel julep? It sounds interesting.

Would you mind sharing how you made your fennel julep? It sounds interesting.

Muddle fennel fronds thoroughly with fine sugar; add bourbon, ice, a drop or two of pastis, stir well, strain into glass.

Zora, it was actually powdered fennel seed for the bloody marys, not fennel pollen.

Dinner for 20, a surprise birthday party for Mr. P:

gin-based beverages

lamb rogan josh (a dry curry)

channa-chaat masala (spicy chickpeas)

shahi paneer (yogurt cheese in tomato-cream sauce)

badaam aur khus-khus kae aalu (curried cashew and poppy seed potatoes)

carrots and peas

rice

key lime pie

cheesecake squares

(tomatoes and potatoes from the home garden)

-----------------------------

Cooking five Indian dishes and two Western desserts for 20 people was actually easier to pull off than I imagined. So was surprising Steve when he got home before the guests arrived (he got suspicious after the third "hey, we're free, what're you doing tonight?" phone call; had it figured out when people started showing up without calling). What wasn't easy was hiding the gallons of milk and quarts of yogurt needed for the paneer, and seven pounds of lamb, and assorted other things requiring refrigeration.

Set a personal best dishwasher use record: five loads in a single day.

Fresh mango juice/mezcal/tequila/chile arbol syrup/lime/mint

guacamole and chips

verduras en escabeche

tamales de huitlacoche (with homemade masa and lard) with poached shrimp and mole verde

2006 Don Alegario Albariño

barbacoa de cabrito steamed in banana leaf with avocado leaves

roasted chile salsa

frijoles refritos

saffron rice

radishes

homemade tortillas made with Moctec fresh masa

2006 Hampton Bridge Sonoma zinfandel

cheese platter with Everona Blue Ridge sheepmilk blue, chestnut leaf-wrapped goat, a Wisconsin raw milk tomme, St. Andre triple cream, grapes, fresh figs, pears

horchata panna cotta with pomegranate seeds

Mexican chocolate-chile truffles rolled in Guatemalan cocoa nibs

Montenegro amaro

Bardouin pastis

Edamane

Shrimp Cocktail

Dry Sausage

Perfect Manhattens

Vegan French Onion Soup

with Toasted Baguette and Gruyere Cheese

Bitter Leaf Salad

Pan Seared Scallops

Braised Short Ribs in Guinness and Prunes with carrots and parsnips

Herbed Rice With Currants in Olive Oil and Balsamic Vinegar

Sautee Spinach

Marble crown cake with mixed berries and ice cream/ sorbet

Carpano Antica Formula Manhattans with Sazerac rye and home cured cherries

Guacamole and chips

almonds and chile -spiked olives

Amuse-- small serving of roasted winter vegetable soup

Iceberg wedge salad with blue cheese dressing and bacon

2007 Tittarelli Torrontes

Cedarbrook Farm double-thick pork chops, herb-brined and charcoal roasted with hickory smoke chips, sliced off the bone

South Carolina mustard bbq sauce

Quince compote

Stone ground artisan white grits

Braised Kale

Cheese platter- Humboldt Fog, Stilton, Spanish sheepmilk, bosc pear, dried figs

2005 Hampton Bridge Sonoma Zinfandel

Patisserie Poupon pistachio pithiviers

Espresso

Amaro Montenegro

Dinner

Elderberry liquor and Fever tree tonic water

Smoked salmon with lemon pepper cream cheese on black bread topped with salmon roe

Olives

Sage Derby Cheese (aka moon cheese)

Tripple Cream Brie

Potatoe pancakes fried in bacon fat topped with caviar

Linguini with bacon, escarole (picked the morning we ate it) and parmesean

Salad of Freshly picked baby lettuce and enoki mushrooms

Roast with caper dijon sauce

Pureed cauliflower

Homemade raspberry wine

Homebrewed ginger beer and dark, sweet beer

Homemade asian pear pie

Breakfast

Cup of Joe (a special treat for me)

Homemade scones with clotted cream

Soft boiled quail eggs topped with caviar

Country fresh air

Dinner for 4

Castelveltrano Olives

Rosemary Spiced Nuts

Ceasar Dip

Double Salmon Dip

Crostini

Parmesan Thyme Crackers

Chorizo

Salame

Marinated Mushrooms

Ham

Biscuits

Fig-Stuffed Oatmeal Cookies

Pumpkin Bars

Chocolate Chip Cookies

Cheesecake Brownies

Peanut Butter Kiss Cookies

Chocolate Cake

You know, what we have laying around the house . . .

Dinner for 8

Homemade Pate de Campagne (pork, pork liver, pistachio garnish, interior garnish of braised pork tongue), cornichons, homemade mustard

Salad: arugula, homemade duck confit, cippolini onions, sherry vinaigrette, poached egg yolk

Roast Chicken (brined, pistachio butter underneath skin), shaved brussels sprouts, duck fat fries

Little ramekins of foie gras, jelly of brandied sour cherry juice and framboise beer

Lemon bars (brought by a guest)

Lots of work, but so fun to put together. I must've re-printed my prep list like 5 times as the week went on and the menu/steps evolved. The yolk on the salad didn't really work: the arugula blend I got from WholeFoods wasn't that structurally sound, so the yolk just slipped down to the bottom of the salad instead of being broken over the top like I've seen it done at restaurants. The rest turned out pretty well, nice mild liver flavor on the pate, chicken was pretty tasty, and the fries came out perfectly on the second fry at ~370. Only regret is that I was too busy to take pictures.

Dinner for 4:

Muchies:

Homemade pickles (bought/made by a guest)

Amuse:

Broccoli soup w/ chive-cayenne oil

Sauteed cheese polenta squares

Mains:

Chicken and cremini mushroom ragu

Creamy polenta with sharp cheddar cheese

Roasted broccoli

Wine:

2008 Altos Malbec

Dessert:

Bittersweet (flourless) roulade, filled with strawberry preserves and chocolate liqueured whipped cream, topped with dusted with cocoa and powdered sugar, raspberries (Alice Medrich)

Gluten-free apple pie (Whole Foods, bought by a guest)

The only "miss" was the apple pie: the crust didn't hold together and the apple filling was terribly sweet and overpowered the whole thing.

Two hits: the roasted broccoli (Cook's Illustrated) and the creamy polenta.

Dinner for 11

Grilled salmon and chicken with a roasted tomatillo lovage sauce

Grilled veggies tossed Bulgarian style with a balsamic basil vinaigrette

Israeli couscous with feta, mint and eggplant

Salad with warmish bacon vinaigrette and lots of chopped Cioba bacon

Grilled Quail Creek Ovens bread

Three types of chocolate cake

Creation of a master griller

Dinner for 4

Meal (by request) for my niece's graduation/18th bday made by Mr. S with me as sous chef:

Chicken Kiev

roasted vegetables

popovers (she's never had them before)

any kind of pasta dish

any dessert made by my husband

Chicken Kiev- America's Test Kitchen recipe. When my niece asked for this, we weren't sure where to look for a recipe! But Mr. S. remembered seeing an ATK show recently with this recipe, and Barbara also suggested ATK when I asked for recipes here a bit ago. This dish was amazing. It's too bad it has a bad rep from bad incarnations being served at so many weddings and celebrations in the past. Crunchy outside courtesy of toasted bread crumbs, oven roasted, not fried. Butter, dill and parsley made a moist filling for incredibly moist chicken. If not for the 2Tb of butter per serving of chicken, I would want to eat this much more often!

Oven roasted carrots and cauliflower. Nicely browned, sweet and just a bit of crunch. Simplicity at it's best.

Pasta aglio e olio-(with olive oil and garlic) Lydia Bastianich's recipe. Due to a last minute problem with the homemade pasta, we had to use boxed Bucatini, but that did not hold back any raves for this dish.

Popovers-America's Test Kitchen recipe. What more can one say? Mmmmmmm.

Georgia Dream Cake- Mr. S, while having quite the reputation for being a wonderful baker, for a number of reasons hasn't made a cake in quite a few years. This recipe is one he has made several times in the past, and was successful once again; a good way to build back his confidence. From Chocalatier magazine, chocolate and peanut butter mousse surrounded by a brownie type cake and topped with a chocoate ganache.

Even with a few mishaps (such as the pasta), the evening was a success.

Pasta aglio e olio-(with olive oil and garlic) Lydia Bastianich's recipe. Due to a last minute problem with the homemade pasta, we had to use boxed Bucatini, but that did not hold back any raves for this dish.

I seem to recall that you are allergic to garlic... Or am I remembering incorrectly?

I seem to recall that you are allergic to garlic... Or am I remembering incorrectly?

Great memory! You do remember correctly...but since it was a dinner for my niece, not for me, the dishes were for her benefit. Mr. S was also pleased since it has been so long since we've had garlic in the house. It doesn't pay to make two separate dishes when cooking for just the two of us. I ate only the popovers and not the pasta--I didn't rave about the pasta, but wanted to impart that everyone else did! It smelled wonderful, though...

I try not to call out too often my allergies as they are many. I also skipped the dessert due to the peanut butter, but Mr. S very nicely made some plain brownies that I was able to eat. (I also got to lick the spoon on the chocolate mousse, so I didn't miss out entirely :rolleyes: )

I try not to call out too often my allergies as they are many.

I know what you mean. I hate having to remind people about my food allergies. But it's looking like I can eat pecans again! I tried a couple of tiny bites of pecan a couple of weeks ago, and nothing happened. So last weekend, I ate a pecan waffle, with lots of pecans in it, and I was fine. This is huge, because I haven't been able to eat them for many years.

Does Lidia Bastianich call for homemade pasta? Made with eggs? It's traditional to serve (most--there are always exceptions) simple preparations featuring olive oil with dried, egg-free pasta, so your problem might have been serendipity.

I've noticed that lots of supermarkets and big chain stores are starting to offer higher-quality, bronze-cut, imported dried pastas. Harris Teeter has one of the respected brands (begins w "Ga") from Naples for not much. Safeway, too; at least the ones made without egg are less than $3. This weekend I discovered "Archer" at Target which looks fantastic (surface of rigatoni studded w dull, white flecks); across the way Marshalls had a bag of even better spaghetti, but at $4 which is less than the pricy, glorious yellow bags of Martelli (?) that Zingerman's imports from Pisa.

Does Lidia Bastianich call for homemade pasta? Made with eggs? It's traditional to serve (most--there are always exceptions) simple preparations featuring olive oil with dried, egg-free pasta, so your problem might have been serendipity.

I've noticed that lots of supermarkets and big chain stores are starting to offer higher-quality, bronze-cut, imported dried pastas. Harris Teeter has one of the respected brands (begins w "Ga") from Naples for not much. Safeway, too; at least the ones made without egg are less than $3. This weekend I discovered "Archer" at Target which looks fantastic (surface of rigatoni studded w dull, white flecks); across the way Marshalls had a bag of even better spaghetti, but at $4 which is less than the pricy, glorious yellow bags of Martelli (?) that Zingerman's imports from Pisa.

Mr. S also tells me that boxed is traditional, and that Lidia's recipe specifies that one can use either boxed OR homemade. He wanted to introduce my niece to real homemade pasta, but alas, it wasn't meant to be. The attachment for the KA broke, the pasta was too dry and broke apart, so tradition won out in the end. As it turns out the pasta may not have rested long enough. He tried again tonight to roll it out and it worked fine.

And Zora, I completely understand!!! I'm in the process of testing out a few things myself...the Chicken Kiev actually had shallots in it, and I had no problems with it :rolleyes: (baby steps...)

a rare pull-out-all-the-stops dinner for eight:

brandade de morue with toasted homemade no-knead bread

Jamie Stachowski's duck paté

Nathan Anda's finocchione salame

chile olives

almonds

kir royales

winter salad of frisee, baby lettuce, fennel, watermelon radishes, cara cara, navel and blood oranges, ruby grapefruit and citrus vinaigrette

2007 Pascal Jolivet pouilly fumé

cassoulet: Tarbais beans, homemade pork sausages and duck confit, eco-friendly pork belly, pork shoulder

2007 Dom. Grand Nicolet cotes-du-rhone

cheese: homemade chevre with lavender and fennel pollen, Cherry Glen Monocacy Silver chevre, Everona Skyline, Valdeon blue, Pyrenees tomme

homemade quince membrillo, homemade fig jambrillo, homemade bread

2006 Stag's Leap petite syrah (guest-provided)

meyer lemon puff pastry tart with candied lemon slices and creme chantilly

2005 Pillitteri riesling icewine (guest-provided)

Ch. de Laubade XO bas armagnac

;)

After rescheduling three times, the last time due to snow, we finally succeeded in having friends over for dinner two months late. It started as a "we never did get together over the holidays" meal and ended up as a "hey, you just had a birthday" event.

Dinner for four, heavy on appetizers and a bit lighter on the main course than I usually do:

Appetizers

Fattat hummus (layered pita chips; chickpeas; hummus; Greek yogurt with garlic, lemon, and mint; toasted pine nuts; chickpeas; parsley; and olive oil; additional pita chips for dipping)

Cheese platter with fig preserves [Morbier]; honeycomb [Gouda]; tomato-olive marmalade [Chevre]; and harissa [Gruyere]

Olives

Main course

Rustic bread (Marvelous Market) and butter

White bean soup with parsley and garlic (Marcella Hazan recipe)

Broiled lamb rib chops over couscous (feta, roasted garlic, golden raisins, toasted pistachio nuts, and parsley)

Dessert

Carrot cake cupcakes with cream cheese frosting (Barefoot Contessa recipe)

To drink:

Pellegrino water (throughout)

2005 Simi Landslide Cabernet Sauvignon (appetizers and main course)

2007 Rudolf Müller Eiswein brought by our guests (dessert)

Hot Tea (Darjeeling) - postmeal

The cheeses worked out wonderfully. I lifted the idea from Zaytinya--heavily. I even looked back at their menu to choose pairings. ;). I bought all of the condiments but the tomato-olive marmalade. The recipe I cobbled together turned out very well. That was fantastic with the chevre. I'm definitely doing the cheese pairings again sometime. It also gave me the opportunity to use a platter of my mother's that must have been intended for relishes to go with meat. (It has a fairly substantial center portion with four small insets, two on either side of the center.)

New kitchen inaugural last night: a planning meeting dinner for a group of Tifosi:

crostini with black olive tapenade; roasted red pepper; eggplant and garlic

buffalo mozzarella

marcona almonds

salumi (provided by one of the ragazzi)

fennel with raisins, almonds, orange

roasted asparagus with saba

linguine with shrimp in garlic sauce

ricotta panna cotta with coffee gelee

cookie plate: brussels, almond lace, lemon semolina, pistachio bars

Is there like a "guest calculator" anywhere? Plug in the foods you want to make, then the number of guests, to figure out how many pounds of everything you need?

How many guests are you talking about? If it's fewer than 25 or so, scaling your everyday recipes isn't too hard. For larger numbers, something like this page might be helpful.

Because they never brag on themselves, I'm going to do it for them. At Waitman & Mrs. B's house last night, an elegant, sophisticated dinner for ten people:

Fava bean & feta crostini

Olives

Mini patatas bravas, with aioli & tomato sauce

"Peas & Carrots" Pea & mint sorbet, carrot-ginger sorbet

Ceviche (including a vegetarian version made with hearts of palm for the token vegetarian)

Grilled lamb kabobs, skewered on rosemary branches

Tzatziki

Creamy Vegetable & Cashew Curry

Sauteed green beans with garlic & shallots

Cheeses

Salad with walnut/honey vinaigrette

Lemon crepe cake with sauteed cherries

Chocolates

We drank a Bandol rose & Gruet sparkler before dinner, a Falanghina with the first two courses, and an outstanding '03 Hermitage with the lamb. Dessert was accompanied by Banyuls. Ask Waitman for specifics about the wine, I was too busy enjoying it to write anything down.

All consumed outside by candlelight, with a delightful breeze blowing through. Cheers once again to the two best hosts and home cooks I know.

Because they never brag on themselves, I'm going to do it for them. At Waitman & Mrs. B's house last night, an elegant, sophisticated dinner for ten people:

Fava bean & feta crostini

Olives

Mini patatas bravas, with aioli & tomato sauce

"Peas & Carrots" Pea sorbet, carrot-ginger sorbet

Ceviche (including a vegetarian version made with hearts of palm for the token vegetarian)

Grilled lamb kabobs, skewered on rosemary branches

Creamy Vegetable & Cashew Curry

Sauteed green beans with garlic & shallots

Cheeses

Salad with walnut/honey vinaigrette

Lemon crepe cake with sauteed cherries

Chocolates

We drank a Bandol rose & Gruet sparkler before dinner, a Falanghina with the first two courses, and an outstanding '03 Hermitage with the lamb. Dessert was accompanied by Banyuls. Ask Waitman for specifics about the wine, I was too busy enjoying it to write anything down.

All consumed outside by candlelight, with a delightful breeze blowing through. Cheers once again to the two best hosts and home cooks I know.

Wow, kudos to the hosts, and lucky you to the guests!

Can you tell me more about the sorbets? They sound...interesting.

Thanks!

Thanks!

They were Mrs. B's idea, so maybe she'll weigh in later with the recipes. The pea was pretty good & the carrot was outstanding. It was a very different, refreshing start to the meal.

Thanks!

If I'd been in charge, I would have served them mid-meal as a divertissement, rather than as a first course. But it was pretty fun and pretty good.

Recipe here, though Mrs. B conceived the idea before she knew there was a recipe on line. Use less sugar than they call for in the carrots.

If I'd been in charge, I would have served them mid-meal as a divertissement, rather than as a first course. But it was pretty fun and pretty good.

Recipe here, though Mrs. B conceived the idea before she knew there was a recipe on line. Use less sugar than they call for in the carrots.

Actually I misinformed Waitman, the carrot sorbet was prepared pretty much as directed by the recipe. I used about half as much simple syrup as the pea recipe called for and significantly less mint, mainly because the mint growing in our yard is so pungent but also because I wanted pea sorbet not mint sorbet. I really think this combination of sorbets worked nicely together. I regret only putting the peas through the tamis and not following up with the chinois.

Big shout out to Heather who always makes our dinner parties hum.

What a delicious menu. Can you describe the lemon crepe cake, or even provide a recipe? Thanks.

Try this

This was not the recipe I used. I went with Alton Brown for the win with both crepes and curd. I will not repeat. Still all in all it tasted quite good.

I think in retrospect that a thin curd or even a juice & sugar based marinade might work better with just made crepes. The already prepared crepes and thicker curd did not really play well together (as in spluging out the sides while trying to plate). I am going to give this another go because the lemon and cherry are great with each other .

The cherries were done in a jubilee style with a bit less cornstarch and no booze. These were left on the counter until service.

ETA I like Julia's crepe batter better than Alton's.

Brunch for 8:

Blue cheese deviled eggs

Smoked salmon roll-ups w/ cream cheese, radishes and red onion

Spinach and cheese strata

Homemade applesauce, spiced with ginger and thyme

Applewood smoked bacon

Store-bought pastries

Mimosas

This might be more appropriately filed under “Help Needed,” or “Barbecue” but I’ll try here first. We’re hosting a casual get-together for about 20 this weekend. No vegetarians (*phew*).

For proteins, I was going to smoke a boston butt and some chickens. I’ve since learned that at least 5 guests won’t eat pork. I’m wary about making a dish that over 20% of the guests won’t eat, and feel bad leaving them with chicken as their only option (although my smoked chicken is pretty good, chicken is still…well, chicken, and doesn’t really blow up my skirt, you know?). Strangely, its quite possible that all 20 may be beef-eaters.

I’m torn as to what I should do. Do I go with the original plan? Substitute a beef dish for the pork? If so, what? Something more unexpected like lamb? Do I do three proteins? Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated.

This might be more appropriately filed under “Help Needed,” or “Barbecue” but I’ll try here first. We’re hosting a casual get-together for about 20 this weekend. No vegetarians (*phew*).

For proteins, I was going to smoke a boston butt and some chickens. I’ve since learned that at least 5 guests won’t eat pork. I’m wary about making a dish that over 20% of the guests won’t eat, and feel bad leaving them with chicken as their only option (although my smoked chicken is pretty good, chicken is still…well, chicken, and doesn’t really blow up my skirt, you know?). Strangely, its quite possible that all 20 may be beef-eaters.

I’m torn as to what I should do. Do I go with the original plan? Substitute a beef dish for the pork? If so, what? Something more unexpected like lamb? Do I do three proteins? Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated.

It's perfectly legitimate to offer one alternative (chicken) for those who don't eat pork. If you want to change the whole concept of the meal, I'd suggest beef brisket, which will take every bit as long to cook as a pork shoulder. Slow cooked smoked brisket is the favored bbq meat in Texas and much of the Southwest.

Thanks, Zora. Maybe I'll go ahead and stick with the original plan: pork-haters be damned! :)

I've never done a brisket before (I'm not much of a fan; and I've had some of the best served up at Smittys and Louis Mueller's in Texas), so I'm a little reluctant to make my first attempt prior to 20 people coming over to my house. Though your suggestion has me thinking that maybe I'll do a couple of tri-tips...

Though your suggestion has me thinking that maybe I'll do a couple of tri-tips...

Good tri-tips can be a bit of a challenge to find in this area. I haven't been terribly impressed with the vacuum-packed ones that Trader Joe sells. No flavor. The best suggestion I can offer, in terms of quality, is to contact Don at The Organic Butcher of McLean. He lived in California for a number of years, so he knows from tri-tip, unlike many local meat sources.

The fact that the gas wasn't turned on in my building until the night before my Pre-Thanksgiving party meant that I had to scramble to transition from dinner to appetizers, but the mostly no-cook food ended up being a roaring success.* And not serving dinner meant that I was able to open the invite to a lot more people.

Muhammara (HUGE hit; no one had ever heard of it, and everyone loved it; great vegan treat if you make it sans eggish bread)

Olives marinated in lemon, orange, rosemary, and garlic

Mushrooms marinated in lemon, garlic, shallots, thyme, and roasted peppers

Pimiento cheese (I've never been a fan, but was desperate for things that didn't require cooking, and people seem to like it; indeed, the entire three cups was devoured)

Spinach-artichoke dip (gas got returned at the last moment, so I got to cook it till it was all nice and bubbly-crusty)

Salami rolled with horseradish cheese

Shrimp and homemade cocktail sauce

Crudite and ranch dip

Home-baked pita chips

Store-bought nuts, bread, crackers

Because I was scrambling with suddenly being able to cook food, I didn't make a punch, which I'm sorry about, but which I swear I'm going to try for my next party!

*Next time I need to make at least one thing that I like and everyone else hates. All the food was gone! Vultures! Nothing like staying up until 4am and then waking up with NO munchie food left over. Thank goodness a friend brought me a gorgeous pineapple as a housewarming gift, which I devoured when I roused myself around 1pm.

Latkextravaganza 2010:

Lacy latkes, fried à la minute

Pureed latkes, à la DanielK

Bite-sized veal meatballs with sage, rosemary, parsley, garlic, lemon zest, S&P, and anchovy

Smoked-salmon mousse in filo cups with salmon roe and chive

Ginger pea dip w/crudité

Crazy good cookies including pfeffernusse à la Banco

Peppermint brownies

GF peanut butter cookies

Some crazy amount of wine and beer, particularly some speciality beers à la durwoodx and some fun party-themed beers à la DanCole42 and his lovely wife

I am thankful for holidays and friends, particularly those from the board. Thanks to all for a phenomenal holiday blowout. Two rounds of Bohemian Rhapsody = win!

Soirée Germinal

Germinal evening. Dinner for 7 celebrating spring and friends' fertility.

An elegant commissioned menu, (typos cheerfully overlooked).

5590942034_99d0a96468.jpg

Gravlax-oology

Zen sliced panela cured sockeye salmon, some spears of manicured asparagus

and eggs “Evelyn”.

Aïgo sau d’iou

A clearly spring garlic soup with bits of chicken and a nicely poached egg.

Crown rack of lamb “Mazarine”

Nestled among artichokes stuffed with spring flavors, fragrant brown rice and a few handsomely fluted mushrooms.

Cheese

Mt. Tam, Red Hawk, Ossau-Iraty.

Frangipane tart

With a smattering of pistachios and turbinado sugar.

Manicured asparagus.

5590941496_7c47b20036.jpg

Egg pageantry.

5590941922_7305955a7b.jpg

Gravlax-oology.

5590352977_d7accf50fb.jpg

Mind the bones.

5590941646_da0c49ecac.jpg

Crowning achievement.

5590353727_e5ebefd811.jpg

Crown jewels.

5590943168_68ffef1a60.jpg

Frangipane.

5590943782_7974096482.jpg

My dearest friend from childhood recently moved to the area. :) Azami and I hosted her and her husband last night for a fantastic evening of dinner and drinking.

First round: Cajun Kamikazes (Absolut Peppar, Cointreau, Rose's lime juice, fresh lime juice); chips and salsa

Second round: Sandia Sunsets (Cuervo Silver, Chambord, lemon juice); Old Bay steamed shrimp

Spinach salad with sliced oranges, dried cranberries, and toasted rough-chopped almonds; olive oil vinaigrette

Pan-seared NY strip steaks; grainy mustard/paprika compound butter

Nigella Lawson's double potato and halloumi bake (substituted feta for halloumi)

Sauteed kale

Sourdough bread

Altos los Hormigas Malbec

Haagen-Dazs vanilla ice cream (no HFCS, I checked) with warm bourbon/roasted apple compote

As long as I don't have to start Lent three days early, I will be happy to celebrate Mardi Gras three days early, particularly if said celebration involves Brabara's jambalya and banana's foster, Dame Edna's wit and Nina's olive and orange salad. Inspried dining and great night.