The Horrors Of McDonald's - A $27 Billion Dollar Franchise, Ending Humanity, One Sandwich at a Time

Wow....I don't know how Firesign Theater was conjured up on this thread, but I'm Rocky Rococo, at your cervix!

How can you be in two places at once when you're not anywhere at all?

From the department of redundancy department....

Umm, that's Dr. Whiplash at your cervix. And don't forget our motto..."Shoes for Industry, Shoes for Peace".

Can we please get a little substance on this website? :)

Umm, which substance did you have in mind? Check with Porgie Tirebiter!

back on topic...

Supersize Me: McDonald’s at London Games is biggest, most sustainable, but menu stays the same

The fast-food giant, a top Olympics sponsor with exclusive rights to sell branded food products inside the venue, said Monday its two-story restaurant at the games will be its biggest and busiest in the world, seating 1,500 diners and serving up to 14,000 people a day.

“We do offer a breadth of menu,” said Jill McDonald, chief executive at McDonald’s UK. “You can see on the menu here we have grilled chicken wraps, we have salads, fruit smoothies as well as the more indulgent recipes that people know and love.”

McDonald’s will bring in 2,000 of its best staffers to run four outlets at the Olympics venue: the vast flagship, another restaurant for spectators, one in the Athletes’ Village and a fourth in the Media Center.

All will be dismantled after the games end, and executives stressed the efforts to which designers have gone to ensure that the restaurants conform to Olympic organizers’ sustainability ambitions.

Three-quarters of the furniture and fittings at the flagship are set to be reused in other McDonald’s restaurants after the games, and special waste-sorting facilities will ensure that most garbage gets recycled, executives said. All the beef will come from British farms, and the chocolate used in muffins will be fair-trade.

^I'm no fan of McDonald's, but this is sensationalism, not journalism.  "Appears to be a food-coloring agent"?  "..reminiscent of an alien landscape, in my mind"?  Bet most anything looks that weird when viewed under a high-powered microscope.

And, if you click on the link now, here's what it says.  That said, I actually worked at a McDonalds when I was 15, and after seeing what McNuggets looked like before they were cooked, myself swore them off for quite some time.  Sausage McMuffins with Egg, on the other hand . . . .

FROM THE EDITORS:

Hi folks. You may have come here expecting to see a McDonald's science video. However, our amazing users have found some real problems with it. We're in the midst of responding by filling this nugget with some actual useful information that addresses how we'll do a better job at vetting scientifically inaccurate content in the future. We apologize for the inconvenience, and thanks for your patience!

I went to a McDonald's Drive-Thru this morning and ordered a large iced coffee in what must be a 24 or 32-ounce plastic cup.

Guess how many pumps of sweetened syrup they put into it. Take a guess, and then mouse over the answer just below.

This is not strong coffee to begin with (although I would argue that it tastes better than Starbucks' iced coffee which is just about undrinkable without cream and sugar), and with the addition of cream and sugar, it must surely be over 500 calories.

From now on? I specify the number of pumps I want, and am going light on the cream - they put enough cream in so that it's a very light tan.

Am I a heretic to say that I think McDonald's coffee tastes better than Starbucks? Even hot coffee? Even black?

• Like 1

I think calling the aforementioned beverages, "coffee," is a bit like calling Velveeta, "cheese." They are so highly processed (homogenized, stabilized and genericized) that they little resemble the natural product.

I used to occasionally drive thru McDonald's for Iced Coffee (I just never developed a taste for hot coffee), until I realized they put the same stuff in it that they give you before a colonoscopy.  Along with a lot of other stuff I didn't feel like ingesting:

"McDonald's Iced Coffee: Just Say No To Hidden Ingredients" by Rachael on smallnotebook.org

...it explained quite a lot from a ~biological~ perspective...even though coffee is a natural diuretic already.

I don't drink their iced coffee anymore.

If you want to avoid sodium phosphate, you'd have to stop eating and drinking quite a few things, including tap water and processed dairy or meat. Actually, if you use half and half or light cream in your coffee, wherever you buy it, there's a good chance that you may be drinking it anyway. You'd have to drink a ton of it to see any laxative effect.

If you want to avoid sodium phosphate, you'd have to stop eating and drinking quite a few things, including tap water and processed dairy or meat. Actually, if you use half and half or light cream in your coffee, wherever you buy it, there's a good chance that you may be drinking it anyway. You'd have to drink a ton of it to see any laxative effect.

Yeah, it's more the driving force behind it than the actual consumption. There are certain things it's just best (on a personal basis) to remain ignorant about, and this may have been one of them.

Well, it's not the sodium phosphate that's got my attention so much as the sodium citrate, which is the *exact* stuff they give you to drink before a colonoscopy.

Regardless, there's enough of a witch's brew in their 'light cream' that it's, again, a case of blissful ignorance vs. 'whatever, it tastes good.'

Just out of curiosity, I looked up the ingredients of the 'sugar-free vanilla syrup':

Erythritol: can (rarely) cause hives - nausea and 'stomach rumbling' at doses over 50g.

The other 'big names' on there are artificial sweeteners that everyone either can or can't consume, and those people know who they are. vOv

And I have now had my last (I'm actually having a Starbucks iced coffee as I type; if there was an independent shop within a couple miles of me, I'd be drinking theirs instead).

I used to drink 7-11's Iced Coffee as well, until one day it ran out and I got to see that the mixture itself comes in a sealed latex bladder-looking thing.  It's 7-11, I know - but it's just another one of those "I wish I hadn't known" things.

this thread is becoming an ode to the naturalistic fallacy. 

You mean my nutritious 99 cent McDonald's brand small Fruit and Yogurt Parfait is made with GMO ingredients?!?!  ~~I HAD NO IDEA~~

The item I'm helplessly addicted to at McDonald's are their double cheeseburgers.  They hooked me when I was young - organized religion has nothing on Ronald's 'pushing' methods.

• Like 1

I can't ever imagine a time McD's will be in its "final days". It's guess everything comes to an end, but I don't think it's any time soon. I can see they're struggling, though..."breakfast all day"?

This is funny: I went to a drive-thru this morning at around noon, and got Egg McMuffins (not for me) - it was the first time in my life I've experienced the "breakfast all day."

I can't ever imagine a time McD's will be in its "final days". It's guess everything comes to an end, but I don't think it's any time soon. I can see they're struggling, though..."breakfast all day"?

The article refers to a franchisee saying "The system may be facing its final days." - meaning the way McDonald's runs its franchise system, not the company itself. Headlines about McDonald's facing its final days get a lot more clicks than questions about McDonald's franchise system viability.

• Like 3

I took Thèrése and Francine (my MIL and her sister, both from France, each around 80) for an Egg McMuffin two weeks ago (we were on the road, and Francine needed something to eat with a pill). :) They both finished their sandwich, and seemed to enjoy it along with splitting a hash browns (also enjoyed) and having an orange juice (not so much). They had also never been to a drive-thru before.

• Like 2

I took Thèrése and Francine (my MIL and her sister, each around 80) for an Egg McMuffin two weeks ago (we were on the road, and Francine needed something to eat with a pill). :) They both finished them, and even seemed happy - they had never been to a drive-thru before.

McDonald's in France doesn't suck half as much as it does here.

Look, pretty much everything on the menu kills you, but it's not like they haven't spent billions making sure it tastes damned good going down. Those fat and sugar taste buds are firing like machine guns from the first bite.

There will always be a need to be able to grab something quick and fast when you need to eat NOW, and we shouldn't feel guilty about needing to do that or even craving it every once in a while.

But if "every once in a while" is weekly or more often, especially with kids, you probably need to take a harder look at your lifestyle priorities.

I will admit on a Friday afternoon lacking lunch it was a toss up between Subway or McDonalds (solely to get breakfast sandwiches). Subway won out, but barely, the all day breakfast I see as a big draw.  I shamefully love their 300 ish calorie breakfast sandwich, especially when running to or from courthouses.

• Like 1

Just discovered that the former free standing McDonalds that was across from the Roslyn Metro and was torn down for the major edifices that have been built and are now near completion, will be reappearing in virtually the exact same location as a ground level retail tenant.  Looks rather large. Must have been a good location for McDonalds.

I knew lower Roslyn was dying for a major fine dining/popular GAR type or extraordinary independent restaurant.  Lucky neighborhood.  Mickey D's is back in its prominent location right in the middle of everything

(and hell yeah-- I'll still eat at a McDonalds every so often----- or far less)

• Like 1

That McDonald's I think gets a fair amount of business- especially office workers breakfast and coffee.  I think as that is right near the bus pickups in Rosslyn for NYC buses, that helps too.  I got coffee and breakfast there sometimes before bar study there back in the day.  

I'm in an egg McMuffin phase these days.  I think they have actually improved it.  The English muffin actually tastes like a Thomas's English muffin.  It would be perfect if they didn't overcook the egg and used cheddar instead of American goop, but my expectations are not that high.  I like the location on Wilson and George Mason, across from Pupatella.  It is nicely renovated and really clean.  I like Sausage McGriddle too, which does not bode well for my cholesterol.  I like McD's sandwiches better than Starbuck's sandwiches these days (which I guess is not a high bar).

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, hopsing said:

I'm in an egg McMuffin phase these days.  I think they have actually improved it.  The English muffin actually tastes like a Thomas's English muffin.  It would be perfect if they didn't overcook the egg and used cheddar instead of American goop, but my expectations are not that high.  I like the location on Wilson and George Mason, across from Pupatella.  It is nicely renovated and really clean.  I like Sausage McGriddle too, which does not bode well for my cholesterol.  I like McD's sandwiches better than Starbuck's sandwiches these days (which I guess is not a high bar).

I completely stopped going to McDonald's about 10-15 years ago, and the Egg McMuffin was the *last* thing I gave up. Yes, it's shit, but it was inexpensive, tasty, and not too caloric (stay away from those biscuits)!

McDonald's reopened in Rosslyn opposite the Metro after being closed for a number of years due to construction.  Of particular interest is that it has automated ordering via touch screen, something apparently existing in one other part of the chain.  I tried it last Sunday after coming home from a sports event.  I should not that, although I am computer literate, the touch screen method, particularly the need to double back to order more than one of an item, was not that easy for the first time.  I did order two McChickens and one small fries to go and skipped the credit card swipe to pay at a counter,  I waited for five minutes to pay cash and was sent to another line to wait for my order.  This took about fifteen minutes and struck me as interesting unless the chain is trying to get out the bind of being fast food.

Fortunately, with the new buildings we should be getting other small chain places such as Sweetgreens and Nado Peri Peri as alternative choices.

I stopped by the new Rosslyn high-tech McDonald's.  I was surprised to see them offering mini-pastries.  I ordered a mini chocolate croissant via kiosk.  I have to say, it really hit the spot.  Not too big to feel guilty about, but enough bites to get chocolatey satisfaction.  It was 79 cents!!!  It is called a chocolatine.  My husband says I'm probably the only person praising its smallness.C230JVPXAAADv_z.jpg 

Edited by hopsing
forgot pic
  • Like 2

really the only thing I liked at the Georgetown La Madaleine were the raspberry croissants at breakfast.

The Rosslyn McDonalds has mini-raspberry croissants.  I haven't tried them yet because I love the mini chocolate croissants so much.  Only 79 cents each!

• Like 1