Fried Chicken

Crisfield's, the previous inhabitant in the Lee building, has long had the best pan fried chicken in the D. C. area. You can still get their's at the original near the viaduct at Georgia and East West highway. It would be interesting to compare it to Ray's.

Crisfield's, the previous inhabitant in the Lee building, has long had the best pan fried chicken in the D. C. area. You can still get their's at the original near the viaduct at Georgia and East West highway. It would be interesting to compare it to Ray's.

I haven't had Crisfield's, but my money is on Ray's.

I haven't had Crisfield's, but my money is on Ray's.

I'll save Joe the trouble...

How can you say something like that? I've had Ray's chicken twice, and it's fantastic. But I haven't had Crisfield's either, so I have no basis for comparison. If Joe says that Crisfield makes great fried chicken, that makes me want to run off to Crisfield to see how it compares. But I'm not going to assume that Ray's is better just because I enjoyed it the couple of times I had it.

I'll save Joe the trouble...

How can you say something like that? I've had Ray's chicken twice, and it's fantastic. But I haven't had Crisfield's either, so I have no basis for comparison. If Joe says that Crisfield makes great fried chicken, that makes me want to run off to Crisfield to see how it compares. But I'm not going to assume that Ray's is better just because I enjoyed it the couple of times I had it.

Why don't you both save yourselves the trouble and go to Colorado Kitchen for Gillian Clark's magnificent Lilliputian Fried Chicken? (Actually a cornish hen).

Also, I believe that Ray's The Classics is deep-fried, not pan-fried.

Cheers,
Rocks.

--

The following posts have been split into separate threads:

Crisfield Seafood (happyguy)
Blue & White Carry Out (anhdeluxe)

Why don't you both save yourselves the trouble and go to Colorado Kitchen for Gillian Clark's magnificent Lilliputian Fried Chicken? (Actually a cornish hen).

That is indeed awesome. It is unfortunately not on the brunch menu, so you can't wash down those crack-laced donuts with an entire fried chicken.

And as long as we're going to expand the field, I do crave the occasional Popeye's spicy...

... Also, I believe that Ray's The Classics is deep-fried, not pan-fried.

Cheers,
Rocks.

When I was there, the menu listed it as pan-fried (which it was) and it was excellent. Order the chicken AND another entree and have a great lunch the next day.

Thanks,

Eric

I have recently been enjoying the fried chicken at Good Thyme Food Court (M Street between 19th and 20th, next to the McDonalds, same block as Vidalia).

Now this is steam table fried chicken sitting under a heater lamp, but generally it is plump and moist (I've only sampled the legs, thighs and wings, not the breast pieces), crunchy coating, rarely overly greasy but enough so that you have that fried chicken scent on your fingers all afternoon. For fried chicken coming out of a korean run, food weighed by the pound, salad bar joint...not bad at all.

At the check out counter next to all the plastic cutlery they have a large squeeze bottle of vinegary hot sauce...adds a nice kick.

I have recently been enjoying the fried chicken at Good Thyme Food Court (M Street between 19th and 20th, next to the McDonalds, same block as Vidalia).

Now this is steam table fried chicken sitting under a heater lamp, but generally it is plump and moist (I've only sampled the legs, thighs and wings, not the breast pieces), crunchy coating, rarely overly greasy but enough so that you have that fried chicken scent on your fingers all afternoon. For fried chicken coming out of a korean run, food weighed by the pound, salad bar joint...not bad at all.

At the check out counter next to all the plastic cutlery they have a large squeeze bottle of vinegary hot sauce...adds a nice kick.

The fried chicken at Central will make you cry. The fried chicken at Madam's Organ will make you weep.

I still miss Ray's version of Iron-Skillet Fried Chicken.

I know folks like me clarmored to keep it on the menu, but it seemed that there just wasn't enough mass interest [vs. the steaks, etc] to be sustainable. Just a sigh 'cause I liked his version a lot.

Commonwealth is my current go-to place for this.

I still miss Ray's version of Iron-Skillet Fried Chicken.

I know folks like me clarmored to keep it on the menu, but it seemed that there just wasn't enough mass interest [vs. the steaks, etc] to be sustainable. Just a sigh 'cause I liked his version a lot.

I vaguely remember Michael saying at one point it was the opposite - incredibly popular, but took so long to cook compared to the other entrees, it threw the rhythm of the kitchen off.

I vaguely remember Michael saying at one point it was the opposite - incredibly popular, but took so long to cook compared to the other entrees, it threw the rhythm of the kitchen off.

Was chatting over dinner recently at one of the Ray's [protect the innocent lol] with one of the folks. At least from that person's perspective, they wasn't enough orders for that item there was on-going product waste at week's end.

Meh, regardless I personally miss it.

If he wasn't the one who said it, it might have been Gillian Clark. I remember someone who cut back or only offered fried chicken sporadically giving that explanation.

If he wasn't the one who said it, it might have been Gillian Clark. I remember someone who cut back or only offered fried chicken sporadically giving that explanation.

Go to Central, Go to Central, Go to Central. Sit at the bar, order the fried chicken, and be ready to never view it the same again. Or even better , go to Citronelle, sit at the bar and order the "fried chicken" and see what comes out of the kitchen, complete mind meld........

A&J - old standby - Feels like old friend

Commonwealth - Are they still doing? I know prices up portion down - but yumm

Popeyes - if desperate (but I like the flavor at the Rockville Pike one only)

RTC - Are they still doing in bar? - edited for - based on thread above that is a no (knew I hadn't had it in a long while)

Others - Anyone else Please add in...

Have it in my brain that I have to have Fried Chicken this weekend.

I feel compelled to point out that our own Antonio Burrell, who cooked up quite a few lovely batches at last summer's picnic, its now toiling away at Masa 14. The menu on the Web mentions crispy wings, but I'd be surprised if his signature fried chicken doesn't show up from time to time. I have also had to-die-for fried chicken downtown at PS7. At Vidalia, for lunch, there is southern-fried young Amish chicken, which is incredibly good, but whenever I enter Vidalia it's usually for something from the pork family....mmmmm.....!

Pilar when it's on the menu has fried chicken that is quite delicious. Not traditional fried chicken, but the Taiwanese-style fried chicken at North China is nice and peppery with fried basil leaves on the side to boot. Despite what one would expect the fried chicken at Georgia Brown's is not up to snuff.

Red Rooster in Damascus MD - not fine dining but good, old style chicken.

Is anyone else grossed out by chicken that's devolved into an explosion of liquid when you bite into it? I used to like KFC somewhat, but never wanted a facial coating of chicken juices. I mean, juicy chicken is good - but there's a limit.

I was hoping to spring a real "find" on you, worthy of the Springfield restaurant list and further testament to the fact that you can eat all over Brookfield Plaza on Backlick Road for an entire month, morning-noon-evening, and never eat the same thing twice.

Thus it was that I happened across Mr. Chicken, a Halal (and therefore alcohol-free) establishment with the same owners as Punjab Sweets, next door to Chutny and directly across from Ravi Kabob III and House of Siam. I ordered the 4-piece fried chicken with fries, both spicy, and brought them home. The 10-minute ride apparently was not kind to the meal. The spiciness was a little bland, and the chicken had a decent moistness but not a whole lot of flavor and not much crunch. The fries were disappointing and flaccid.

Nonetheless, there is promise on this menu and I intend to peruse it further at some point. The menu includes some appealing sandwiches, like shami (beef and egg) burger, and fried tilapia. The lady behind the counter recommended the steak and cheese sandwich, but being from southeastern Pennsylvania, I'm a snob. Chicken popcorn, chicken tenders and chicken nuggets were all on the menu, and when I asked the difference, she explained that they are simply cut in different sizes. And they are veg-friendly, with veggie burgers and a sizable list of fruit shakes and smoothies.

They are running a "Family Deal" special until mid-March of 8-piece chicken, 2-beef burger meals (each with fries and soda) and 2-chicken burger meals (each with fries and soda) for $39.99. If anyone is interested, I'll bet four of us can devour one of those specials, and with tax and tip we're probably still under $50 total.

I had a fried chicken revelation yesterday at work. Chicken and waffles is on Birch & Barley's Sunday, all day brunch menu, and I finally got to try the chicken. It's the best I've ever had: boneless chicken thigh encased within a perfectly crispy exterior that has a nice hit of cayenne (the result of double dredging in well seasoned flour), and super juicy, flavorful meat within, most likely thanks to the long soak in buttermilk. It makes me wish they had straight up fried chicken on the regular menu.

Pollo Campero is fried chicken, and when it first came out (there's a thread way back on eGullet), people were waiting in line for an hour to get in. I haven't had it in years, but remember it fondly as being delicious and salty as all get-out. I think Mark Slater once said it was his favorite fried chicken.

I think you set a record for most posts in 15 minutes (8 different threads)!

Not to worry - it's a *good* thing; I'll read them all later. :)

What place in DC or MD has the best fried chicken.....currently? I need to know where to scratch the itch when I am too lazy to make it myself.

Three very different ideas for you:

Central serves up a high end and unique version that's hard to beat. I believe they used to serve it "to go", but I've never done that.

Rose's Luxury's pickle-brined chicken is outstanding. Not sure if they serve it regularly, and of course the wait may be a factor.

My dark horse is Green Pig Bistro in Arlington. It's their blue plate special on Monday's, and although I haven't had it in some time, it has remained on the menu for good reason.

I'll add a fourth: Popeye's is really hard to beat, as long as it is fresh.

Green Pig Bistro - I love that place.

Rose's version sounds incredible, but it is unlikely I will ever try it since they refuse to take reservations and I refuse to wait for hours.

Green Pig was my local place for about a year. They endured a mediocre review from Sietsema, but survived and have thrived since. I have always felt the review was the best thing that could have happened, since it allowed them to grow a bit, work out the kinks, etc. Sietsema's follow-on review was much more complimentary and realistic. (More to that story some day)

Best bacon cheeseburger in town, awesome "buffalo" ribs, snail toast, I could go on.

I know many don't care for Rose's policies, but I truly enjoyed it both times I went.

Rose's version sounds incredible, but it is unlikely I will ever try it since they refuse to take reservations and I refuse to wait for hours.

I really think the multi-hour wait at Rose's a red herring but that's based only my own experience of maybe half a dozen visits, most recently tonight.  Nice weather on a Friday, we arrived one hour and ten minutes before open and were around 15th on line.  People getting there 45 minutes (aka 4:15pm) before open made the first seating.   By 4:30 or 4:45, it had grown longer and people arriving that soon before the open or after opening would have had to wait for second seating.  All said, I've absolutely loved Rose's in the past and have posted as much on that thread.  A little less so tonight and will post about that shortly.

I know many don't care for Rose's policies, but I truly enjoyed it both times I went.

Same here over 6 or so visits though tonight wasn't quite the same for us. Will share the details soon.

I am partial to Bojangle's for my occasional fast food chicken fix.

For something a little different, I think Izakaya Seki makes awesome karaage and Thip Khao makes an excellent fried quail.

I never waited more than an hour for first seating to Rose's in 4-5 visits, but the quality to cost proposition slipped a lot for me since the opening. There are simply better, more exciting places to hit at similar or lower price levels.

• Like 1

A timely question - we went to Boss Shepherd's last night, and that fried chicken is legit.  Well-seasoned, hot and crispy, and really tender and flavorful.  Comes with roasted potatoes, a biscuit (which was also very good), and three sauces (PA honey, house-made hot sauce, and a smoked hollandaise-esque concoction).  Yummy.  Husband and I were trying to remember the last time we had really good fried chicken prior to last night, and we came up empty.

I really think the multi-hour wait at Rose's a red herring but that's based only my own experience of maybe half a dozen visits, most recently tonight. Nice weather on a Friday, we arrived one hour and ten minutes before open and were around 15th on line. People getting there 45 minutes (aka 4:15pm) before open made the first seating. By 4:30 or 4:45, it had grown longer and people arriving that soon before the open or after opening would have had to wait for second seatingn.

So if you can show up at 3:50 on a Friday and wait for an hour or so to be 15th in line things are ok. Doesn't seem unreasonable at all. ;-)

• Like 1

I really think the multi-hour wait at Rose's a red herring but that's based only my own experience of maybe half a dozen visits, most recently tonight.  Nice weather on a Friday, we arrived one hour and ten minutes before open and were around 15th on line.  People getting there 45 minutes (aka 4:15pm) before open made the first seating.   By 4:30 or 4:45, it had grown longer and people arriving that soon before the open or after opening would have had to wait for second seating.  All said, I've absolutely loved Rose's in the past and have posted as much on that thread.  A little less so tonight and will post about that shortly.

Same here over 6 or so visits though tonight wasn't quite the same for us. Will share the details soon.

Meh. Who can get there at 3:45 on a Friday? I'd have to take the damn day off from work. The hubbub will die down and maybe then I will go. Or they will fade and it won't matter.

A timely question - we went to Boss Shepherd's last night, and that fried chicken is legit.  Well-seasoned, hot and crispy, and really tender and flavorful.  Comes with roasted potatoes, a biscuit (which was also very good), and three sauces (PA honey, house-made hot sauce, and a smoked hollandaise-esque concoction).  Yummy.  Husband and I were trying to remember the last time we had really good fried chicken prior to last night, and we came up empty.

What on Earth would you need a sauce for, for fried chicken? Sacrilege!

• Like 1

I'll add a fourth: Popeye's is really hard to beat, as long as it is fresh.

I've expressed my love for Popeyes fried chicken here in the past. However, when I had some of it some time in 2014, it seemed to have changed markedly. It was so salty as to be almost inedible, and I mean salty through and through, not just with a salty crust, which it always had, and which I always liked. They now boast of marinating the chicken for at least 12 hours, which I don't think they boasted about in the past, and it seems obvious that "marinated" actually means "brined". So the meat of the chicken is not only intensely salty, but has a sort of denatured texture, like luncheon meat. I'm not sure I'll ever be back, unless I get some clue that what I had was an aberration.

Meh. Who can get there at 3:45 on a Friday? I'd have to take the damn day off from work. The hubbub will die down and maybe then I will go. Or they will fade and it won't matter.

What on Earth would you need a sauce for, for fried chicken? Sacrilege!

Many are served with honey. Maybe not really a "sauce"?

So if you can show up at 3:50 on a Friday and wait for an hour or so to be 15th in line things are ok. Doesn't seem unreasonable at all. ;-) 

Reasonableness is in the eye of the beholder. My point was just that rumors of "multi-hour waits" might be a bit overblown. The place clearly feels zero need to adjust this policy. Now six months after the Bon Appetit recognition, they're still drawing lines longer than 100 by opening time.

All said, they are opening a new spot that supposedly will take reservations, however tough those may prove to get. And, personally, will be awhile before I head back again partly due to the lines but more because the experience wasn't quite what it was.