Grilled Cheese Sandwiches And Tomato Soup

Al Dente

But why do people smash a grilled cheese sandwich? I've never understood that.

I don't smash it, just press down on it. That seems to result in a better layer of cheese. If the cheese is in slices and still giving a little resistance, pushing down seems to help with that.

Thanks for bumping this topic lperry! I made grilled cheese and tomato soup for dinner tonight. The grilled cheese (trader joe's cheddar/gruyere hybrid on seven grain bread from wegmans) was excellent. My tomato soup... lackluster. I used this recipe promoted by Dave lebowitz. http://www.davidlebovitz.com/2013/08/roasted-tomato-soup-with-corn-salsa-recipe/ and its just blah. I would stir in some tomato paste or the like but the only one in my parents house (where I am currently housesitting) says best by 2007 and I am too lazy to go out for more at this point. The tomatoes (plum) and thyme are from the garden, garlic from the farmers market.

Does anyone have a go- to tomato soup recipe? I'd like to try again.

Thanks for bumping this topic lperry! I made grilled cheese and tomato soup for dinner tonight. The grilled cheese (trader joe's cheddar/gruyere hybrid on seven grain bread from wegmans) was excellent. My tomato soup... lackluster. I used this recipe promoted by Dave lebowitz. http://www.davidlebovitz.com/2013/08/roasted-tomato-soup-with-corn-salsa-recipe/ and its just blah. I would stir in some tomato paste or the like but the only one in my parents house (where I am currently housesitting) says best by 2007 and I am too lazy to go out for more at this point. The tomatoes (plum) and thyme are from the garden, garlic from the farmers market.

Does anyone have a go- to tomato soup recipe? I'd like to try again.

I wouldn't say this is my go-to recipe, but it's definitely not blah: Spicy Tomato Soup recipe from Michael Symon.  My husband doesn't like blue cheese, so I mix that in separately to my portion.

This is another one I've made that is quite good and more traditional.  My husband had it at one of their restaurants in Colorado, and I found their recipe online.  Adding the olive oil at the end really makes a difference, though it seems wrong to me <_< .