Argonaut Tavern Fundraiser for Luis Quike Morales

aero

Last week, my boyfriend, who is a bartender/ waiter at the Argonaut, was shot in the head while walking the 1 block to my house after closing. It appears to have been completely random, there was no sign of attempted robbery or an arguement. He was standing on my front porch with his keys in the door. He survived, but is still in serious condition. Since he was uninsured, and to help defray the cost of bringing his mother here from Panama, the Argonaut is hosting a benefit & silent auction for him this Friday, Oct 13, to help raise money. The benefit begins at 7pm and continues til closing.

Here is the article.

If ever this website had a purpose, it's right now. I just got off the phone with Scott Magnuson, manager at the Argonaut. They didn't think Mr. Morales would make it through the weekend, but he is now sitting up and talking. He lost an eye and part of the back of his head. His mother is in town from Panama and will be staying for the duration of his recovery. The Argonaut's fundraiser this Friday night will donate all proceeds toward housing the mother, and also for the unthinkable medical costs.

Click here for details about how to donate at the picnic.

One of the bartenders/ waiters from the Argonaut, Quike, was shot in the head on his way home from work last week. He survived but is still in serious condition. The Argonaut is hosting a benefit -silent auction, suggested cover-for him this Friday, Oct 13, to help raise money (he is uninsured). The benefit begins at 7pm and continues til closing.

This is awful. I heard about it at Trustys a few days after it happened. They've been having a crime wave around there too. I hope the picnic generates some money for the fund.

Last week, my boyfriend, who is a bartender/ waiter at the Argonaut, was shot in the head while walking the 1 block to my house after closing. It appears to have been completely random, there was no sign of attempted robbery or an arguement. He was standing on my front porch with his keys in the door. He survived, but is still in serious condition. Since he was uninsured, and to help defray the cost of bringing his mother here from Panama, the Argonaut is hosting a benefit & silent auction for him this Friday, Oct 13, to help raise money. The benefit begins at 7pm and continues til closing.

I'm sorry aero. sad.gif

Can donations be made by board members who are not attending the picnic?

Rather, how?

I'm not sure; we're winging this whole thing on short notice. At the picnic there's basically going to be a coffee can to throw donations into. I don't want the picnic to be an official fund-raiser because it wasn't announced as such in advance. Nobody is obligated to donate anything, but if anyone wants to write a check at the picnic, simply write it to me and stuff it into the coffee can. I'll cash the checks and get the cash to the family. They won't be tax-deductible, unfortunately, but this is a situation where there will be strength in numbers, and even a couple dollars will go a long way. I'll fully disclose all cash and non-cash contributions on this thread.

I spoke to Scott Magnuson of the Argonaut last night. Silent auction items are flying in fast and furious. There is also the possibility of door prizes. Please, please, if you can at all, drag yourselves from your urban/suburban stupor and head over. It's easy to get to, it's a funky bar, and the cause couldn't be better. If not, write a check, tell your friends, blog it, do something.

I wanted to report that the benefit at the Argonaut on Friday night was a huge success, thanks in part to some really fabulous silent auction items donated by people from this website. This whole experience has been a lesson to me in how to give graciously, and all of you have been a wonderful example.

On behalf of Quike and myself, thank you!

Bree

I wanted to report that the benefit at the Argonaut on Friday night was a huge success, thanks in part to some really fabulous silent auction items donated by people from this website. This whole experience has been a lesson to me in how to give graciously, and all of you have been a wonderful example.

On behalf of Quike and myself, thank you!

Bree

Unfortunately, we were unable to make it to this event. Is it still possible to make a donation at The Argonaut?

I just wanted to check back in and give an update on my boyfriend, Quike Morales, who was shot after his shift at the Argonaut last Sept. All of you here at Donrockwell.com were so supportive and generous, and I really appreciate it and want to say thanks. The owner of the Argonaut (Joe Englert) is organizing a drive to get the last few thousand dollars needed to help fund the surgery Quike needs to get a prosthetic skull. The details are at the link:

http://frozentropics.blogspot.com/2007/03/...e.html#comments

It includes a way to donate online, if people don't feel like trekking out to the Argonaut (although I am sure they would love to see some new faces!)

Also, here's a link to a video of Quike taken last week that was at washingtonpost.com, as part of an article about gentrification on H St:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...7031401505.html

Thank you!

I wrote Bree (Quike's girlfriend at the time), and heard this very encouraging note about his progress. Five years from now, I'll be writing about the progress of the Gomez family that Eric Reid so generously supported during their time of crisis, and in the meantime, I suspect there will be more. I just want to let the entire restaurant community that we will *always* be here to help.

Kind regards and thanks to all,

Don

---

Hi Don,

Good to hear from you!  As a result of the fundraisers that were held
on his behalf, Quike was able to get the prosthetic skull surgery.
Following the surgery, he did go back to Panama for about a year to
spend time with family while he recovered but he has since returned to
the DC area.  I'm not in touch with him but I understand from mutual
friends that he has a good job working maintenance at the Pentagon.
Although there will always be challenges for him due to the nature of
his injuries I think he is doing as well as can be expected.

During what was a really bad dark time for Quike and the his friends
and family, the groundswell of support from the community was such a
bright spot.  Thank you again for all you guys did and I hope that
things turn out well for the person in the similar situation.

Bree