Paleo or Whole 30 or similar diet recipes and advice

ktmoomau

Ok, so just to start this topic off on the right note.  I know Paleo isn't really how caveman ate.  I also know this is a tiny bit silly.  But my very best friend eats fairly different from me and wanted to do the Whole 30 diet.  She asked me to come along for the ride as it isn't that different from my everyday diet (although life without diet coke and lactose free cheese, is that really life?).  Considering I have been so busy I haven't been able to make my normal gym schedule, I said ok.  So this thread is for what you make when doing a similar no carb, no added sugar, etc.

I will post my lunches and dinners here in case anyone else finds this useful.

Tonight I had green peppers stuffed with ground beef, squash, tomatoes, poblano pepper with mustard, Adam's Steak Seasoning.  Topped with a poached egg.  My friend made and brought over some cauliflower "rice".  Then we had nectarine slices for dessert.  

Just to add to your starting the thread off right comments, I just want to clarify that a paleo diet and even the whole 30 are not low carb. You can certainly choose to make it such, and many paleo folks do, but root vegetables, pumpkin, squash, sweet potatoes and now even white potatoes are part of a paleo diet and the whole 30 (not to mention fruits and vegetables).

I clarify only because it's a common misconception that the two are tied together and they're actually not although there is often a lot of overlap.

Now back to the good stuff. I will definitely be posting in here in the near future, but I have a pork chop that is done resting that I must go eat (with a paleo rhubarb cherry sauce, a marinated kale & green bean salad, some fresh cut up heirloom tomato and as a treat, an ear of local bread & butter corn :) ). In the meantime, if you haven't already, I highly recommend Nom Nom Paleo's blog for lots Whole 30 friendly, and more importantly delicious recipes.

So someone in my office has no idea the cruelty inflicted upon me today.  Thursday I brought in an avocado to my office, upon inspection it was decidedly not ripe.  So I sat it on our counter knowing when I came back on Monday it would be perfect.  Today there was no avocado.  Which is sad.  I had planned a grilled chicken salad with avocado and hard boiled egg.  So instead it was tuna salad on salad with hard boiled egg.  But I was really looking forward to my avocado, especially since life without Diet Coke is decidedly less pleasant.

• Like 1

So I should not tell you that I am enjoying some avocado on my brisket & butternut squash chili right now? ;)

Is the XO sauce recipe in the Momofuku cookbook (the main one)? I have it and may be able to transcribe if you'd like.

Bah, coworkers.... I have more avocado at home, I will leave them to ripe in my office from now on if that situation arises. But brisket and butternut squash chili sounds pretty good.  I found the recipe for the XO sauce online.  I just really like all the recipes from Mind of a Chef Season 1 and I think I would actually use the cookbook. There are some cookbooks that seem great and then I don't use them and then some that I think I would use a lot.  His I think I would actually use a lot.  I have never eaten at his restaurant, but I think I gravitate to a lot of the food he makes.

Ok, so tonight I need to get it together and prepare some real food for the next couple days because grilled chicken salad today was fine, but I am not going to be happy eating that every day for lunch. I should have gone to Reston Kabob and gotten a kabob salad with no bread, oh well.   I am hoping I can get in a run to the grocery store tonight or tomorrow and then do some prep.  My friend Megan made this recipe and really liked it: http://nomnompaleo.com/post/39740996621/whole30-day-5-slow-cooker-chicken-gravy

That's my favorite spot for inspiration-http://nomnompaleo.com- I'm intermittently paleo, & eat a lot less grains/carbs then I did a year ago. I'm so sorry that you're going to have to stash your avocados. Momofuku is a good cookbook, but it has lots of complicated stuff that you (if you're like me) will never make-pig's head torchon, anyone? You can borrow mine & copy anything that looks useful.

• Like 1

I've made that chicken gravy recipe. Have some of the leftover gravy in my freezer in fact. It's definitely tasty. I haven't really found a Nom Nom recipe that I don't love. Her cheaper pork stew has been made so many times in my house I couldn't even count - I constantly vary it a bit, whether it's the protein, veg, or spice mix - and it is always delicious and so easy.

That's my favorite spot for inspiration-http://nomnompaleo.com- I'm intermittently paleo, & eat a lot less grains/carbs then I did a year ago. I'm so sorry that you're going to have to stash your avocados. Momofuku is a good cookbook, but it has lots of complicated stuff that you (if you're like me) will never make-pig's head torchon, anyone? You can borrow mine & copy anything that looks useful.

Yep. Sadly, I found I rarely use it. Although his crispy brussels sprouts recipe is one of my absolute favorite recipes of all time and I do use that one a lot. I haven't cooked a lot of what's in there, but have had mixed feelings on the things I have.

I actually made a really good Whole 30 dinner, one my husband would before all this wouldn't have even known.  I made cauliflower rice stir fried with carrots, onion, oil and curry powder.  I made green beans sauteed with tomatoes and capers (I added some soy sauce, screw buying something strange).  And then I made lamb chops.  

Last night was italian sausage with peppers, garlic and a homemade red sauce.  MK ate it over polenta as he is not on this diet road with me.  I had it over some leftover roasted potatoes that were in the fridge.  I kind of think the potato thing is a cop out, but as I am on this diet mainly for moral support, and have just been too crazy busy at work to even describe I have allowed myself a few potatoes here and there.  And sliced peaches.

• Like 1

I made cauliflower mash this week and I am not sure if MK is aware I fed him vegetables and not potatoes.  Sunday it was cauliflower mash with steak.  I made more cauliflower mash last night to eat pulled pork on top of, while MK had it on buns.  Also had a tomato and cucumber salad.   I added a small amount of liquid to the mash with salt and pepper.  

I'm thinking about this again (if I can just give up soy, beans, & random sugar), & I found a lot of recipes I'd like to try on popularpaleo.com (& also adaptations for auto immune diets, on aiplifestyle.com). My sister has been primal, not strict paleo for about 2 years now, & it's working for her.

I made cauliflower mash this week and I am not sure if MK is aware I fed him vegetables and not potatoes.  Sunday it was cauliflower mash with steak.  I made more cauliflower mash last night to eat pulled pork on top of, while MK had it on buns.  Also had a tomato and cucumber salad.   I added a small amount of liquid to the mash with salt and pepper.  

It probably doesn't fit strictly with Paleo because of the dairy, but I mashed cauliflower with leftover sour cream-horseradish-dill sauce I had made for salmon, and it was fantastic.  I added some extra dill to the final product.

It probably doesn't fit strictly with Paleo because of the dairy, but I mashed cauliflower with leftover sour cream-horseradish-dill sauce I had made for salmon, and it was fantastic.  I added some extra dill to the final product.

It sounds pretty good though.  And I will be loosening up in 7 days in terms of diet.  But I am going to try to keep some of the momentum going.