Parlay, Dallas Cowboy-Friendly "Sports Gastropub" (?!) on 18th and M Street Downtown in the Former Malaysia Kopitiam Space

To clarify -- the PoPville article I linked says only a soft opening during football games. So I take it as not yet being open at other times.

A couple funny things:

PoPville (which I can never remember how to spell or capitalize) had an initial report speculating whether or not Parlay would be Belgian. And if you think about it outside of all context, "parlay" sounds very French ("parlez" means "speak" and is an exact homonym), so the speculation is perfectly understandable, if hilarious.

In case anyone is let down by the Belgian-to-SportsBar deflation, there still may be hope: Parlay (as in, "parlay your bet") is billing itself as a gastropub - more specifically, are you ready for this?, "a high-end eatery and lounge for the more sophisticated sports fan." Yes, I swear to you that is what the unfindable website says. If the article to which cheezepowder links contains actual photos, that does not appear to be a very well-stocked bar. It's also not entirely clear to me when, or if, they're open on Sundays - maybe there's just too much alcohol money during football games not to try and grab some, even if you're not really ready to?

Nevertheless, if you go to the website, and let the pictures scroll by, one of them appears to be a somewhat respectable list of beers. Now, I don't know whether these are stock photos or actual photos, but they're definitely a mixed bag - the spinach salad, for example, looks like it uses fresh baby leaves, but is undermined by walnuts and raw red onion.

Anyway, this is all just speculation, and I'm uncertain as to whether they're open yet or not. I called the number on their website at 1:45 PM today (Friday), and was rolled over to a voice mail, so I'll assume it's not officially open until I find out otherwise. I'm also making an assumption that they'll have flat-screen TVs (a pretty safe assumption, I think).

Indeed, their nascent Twitter account verifies that they're Dallas Cowboy-centric.

Nevertheless, if you go to the website, and let the pictures scroll by, one of them appears to be a somewhat respectable list of beers.

Definitely stock photos as that beer list is comprised primarily of brews originating around Portland, Oregon.  Now, if they were able to bring THAT list to DC, I think we have something here!

• Like 1

Does anyone else think DC is too hospitable to Dallas fans?

DC tends to be a polite city.

Definitely stock photos as that beer list is comprised primarily of brews originating around Portland, Oregon.  Now, if they were able to bring THAT list to DC, I think we have something here!

Yeah, I hadn't even heard of half of them - that explains why.

What I wouldn't give for Deschutes Black Butte Porter on tap in this city.

Signed,

An Oregonian

Hell, you don't have to go cross-country: Give me Three Floyd's anyday.

To clarify -- the PoPville article I linked says only a soft opening during football games. So I take it as not yet being open at other times.

Parlay is open now, and from what I've read, it is very friendly to Cowboys fans, and not at all friendly to anyone else.

• Like 1