Macarons

MikeJHU2000

I've bought them before from the bakery at Praline in Bethesda. 4611 Sangamore Rd., 301-229-8180.

I second the vote for Praline in Bethesda... They are the closest I've had to Laudree... They had set up shop at the Rockville Farmers Market at the courthouse parking lot on Saturdays and I believe they are scheduled to be there this season as well...the RFM opens on 5/16 at 9am... They sell a variety package at their stand

I'm looking for macarons, particularly pistachio, in the DC area, similar to those from Fouchon or Ladurée. Do you know of any local bakeries that make them or someplace I can order them that will ship them?

I really like the ones at Fancy Cakes by Leslie in Bethesda. The best I've found around here.

If you want to learn to make the same macarons as Laduree I would be please to teach you (for free).

I love macarons and I often make them for myself.

It is in fact very simple.

Two keys for the success; don't whip too much the egg whites and an accurate electric oven.

The reason for the price of macarons in a store is teh fact that only 2/3 are good enough to be sold.Even made by an expert.

At home even if they are not perfect they taste as good.

If you want to learn to make the same macarons as Laduree I would be please to teach you (for free).

Two keys for the success; don't whip too much the egg whites and an accurate electric oven.

The reason for the price of macarons in a store is teh fact that only 2/3 are good enough to be sold.Even made by an expert.

If wouldn't mind another pupil- I would LOVE to attend this lesson.

Chef, I would be thrilled to receive some pointers. My experiments have met with varying success, the best when I use cooked meringue and egg whites that have been sitting out for two days. They are acceptable, but nothing too special.

3295511081_7a4cc45062_m.jpg

I presume your method uses the classic French meringue?

No to make good macarons you don't make a meringue.

You mix the confection sugar with the almond flour, you have to be sure that they are well sifted before.

Then you whip your egg whites not too hard.

You had the egg whites to the sugar-almond powder mix 1/3 by 1/3, the first 1/3 is to lighten the preparation.

It is a kind of meringue if you want but with less egg whites and more sugar with almond powder.

Then you pipe the macarons on a parchment paper.

The temperature depends of the size of the macarons but you need a hot oven first. then you lower the oven.

It seems simple but you need to see it done.

In the spring 2009 issue of Gastronomica: an article on the history of macarons, particularly the single-cookie macaron traditionnel which enjoys a broad range of regional variation, unlike the better-known macaron parisien. The accompanying photo comes from Dorie Greenspan's blog entree on macarons.

Also, mention is made of the Musée de l'Amande et du Macaron in Montmorillon.

Trader Joes carries a box of 12 (half chocolate half vanilla) for $4.99. They're a little on the small side and are kind of okay but not something I would purchase again. They're in the freezer section and defrost in about half an hour.

When you bite into these macarons, they frequently crumble in your hands. I've bought macarons a few times from Michel Patisserie and have not had the same problem. The cookie portion is a little too dry and doesn't taste like it has enough almond flour in it. It seems more like meringue with a little almond flour folded in. If you've never had a macaron before and want to know what the fuss is about, I'd pass on these.

My first ever batch of macarons is currently baking in the oven. Keeping my fingers crossed that they won't be a complete disaster. I had some freeze dried strawberries from Trader Joes so I threw them in with the almonds when grinding. So far they look pretty good.

My first ever batch of macarons is currently baking in the oven. Keeping my fingers crossed that they won't be a complete disaster. I had some freeze dried strawberries from Trader Joes so I threw them in with the almonds when grinding. So far they look pretty good.

Don't forget to post a picture!

Living vicariously through other people's ovens,

Overall I think they turned out okay. I think I underbaked them slightly since I had a fear of overbaking. I used a recipe from Gourmet and it's a touch too salty when eaten alone. Sandwiched with a bit of lemon curd it was quite tasty. I'll definitely try this again since it was pretty straightforward and not too time consuming.

post-236-126050013971_thumb.jpg

Overall I think they turned out okay. I think I underbaked them slightly since I had a fear of overbaking. I used a recipe from Gourmet and it's a touch too salty when eaten alone. Sandwiched with a bit of lemon curd it was quite tasty. I'll definitely try this again since it was pretty straightforward and not too time consuming.

post-236-126050013971_thumb.jpg

Well done, kudos for the inaugural batch. I love the pink from the strawberries.

Great to hear it was not an overtly onerous operation. Imagine the possibilities once you nail the perfect recipe and method.

On 4/24/2017 at 10:50 AM, silentbob said:

Laduree had a soft opening party in Georgetown last week, rumor has it that the public opening will be next week.  I wonder how the macarons will hold up in the DC summer heat and humidity?

I went to Lauderdale today and got some very tasty macaroons. The wife quipped: we can get macaroons that taste like they came directly from Paris, but I can't get a decent tasting bagel and we're only 200 miles from NYC?! 

• Like 3