Bell's The Oracle - Kalamazoo, MI

TedE

I had the opportunity to sample this one at Snallygaster. In all honesty, prior to that event I had not heard of this beer and had not been keeping up with Bell's new offerings in general, but apparently it's been around for a few years (but maybe not distributed widely?).  A friend and I went for a sample of this and Bell's Hopsolution just to compare the two DIPAs they were pouring and to see how they differed from HopSlam.  The Oracle was the clear winner of the two, and in my mind surpasses the current iteration of Hop Slam.  I'd even go so far as to say that The Oracle c. 2014 is closer to what I remember HopSlam tasting like 5-6 years ago than HopSlam c. 2014.  It has a malty, toffee/honey backbone that I recall being the hallmark of that beer, and it balances the intensely fragrant hop nose very nicely. Very squarely in my wheelhouse.

I probably wouldn't even bring it up had I not seen a 6-pack for sale the other night that jogged my memory and noted another apt comparison to HopSlam: the $27 price tag :blink:

Where did you see it for sale?  I thought it pretty much sold out instantly.

Bloomingdale Liquors at 1st and Rhode Island NW as of Sunday night.  They've really picked up their beer game recently and stock a nice assortment of rarer offerings, but almost always toward the high end of the local price range (I think they had Founders KBS at $20+ per 4-pack).  Anyway, they usually don't sell out too quickly, so if you're looking for The Oracle at any price I'd give them a call.

• Like 1

Bloomingdale Liquors at 1st and Rhode Island NW as of Sunday night.  They've really picked up their beer game recently and stock a nice assortment of rarer offerings, but almost always toward the high end of the local price range (I think they had Founders KBS at $20+ per 4-pack).  Anyway, they usually don't sell out too quickly, so if you're looking for The Oracle at any price I'd give them a call.

Thanks for the hint on a good store!

So, had Oracle last night. I'd had it before a couple years ago and liked it. Last night... I thought it was pretty horrible. Huge alcohol tasty and just not a lot that redeemed it. I've heard similar things from others this year. Anyone else? This was draft, which might make a deference.