The Faux Latte Problem - Real Or Perceived?

hungry prof

(does anyone know why serving iced espresso is considered heresy in the world of coffee? As something of a layman, it just doesn't make that much sense to me, but I suppose the rapid cooling might affect something chemically).

Much simpler explanation, I think.  I suspect they don't want people ordering a "double iced espresso in a large cup" and then filling it to the top with milk. (This practice is so infamous at Starbucks that the drink created has a nickname, which I'd rather not repeat).  If you want an iced latte, then they want you to pay for it.

Much simpler explanation, I think.  I suspect they don't want people ordering a "double iced espresso in a large cup" and then filling it to the top with milk. (This practice is so infamous at Starbucks that the drink created has a nickname, which I'd rather not repeat).  If you want an iced latte, then they want you to pay for it.

But do they have pitchers of milk freely available for non-espresso coffee drinkers to pour as liberally as they like?

Yes, Nick Cho used this term, and it caused something of a firestorm.

In back-to-back episodes of The Twilight Zone from 1960, I heard the "G" word (season 2, episode 6), and the "R" word (season 2, episode 7) spoken in everyday language, without so much as a thought. The "C" word is currently undergoing scrutiny, and I suspect both "D" words and the "B" word (think: Tommy. "Who?!") are on the horizon.

• Like 1

But do they have pitchers of milk freely available for non-espresso coffee drinkers to pour as liberally as they like?

They do, but I think there's a difference between a few tablespoons of milk in a coffee and filling a large cold cup with milk on top of two shots of espresso.

Yes, Nick Cho used this term, and it caused something of a firestorm.

In Starbucks' defense ( :blink: ) I think it's just people being too cheap to pay for the latte when they can pay for a double shot over ice and add the milk themselves to save a buck.  In the Murky brouhaha they refused to make an iced latte at all (the customer was willing to pay for it).  So that customer got creative and did it himself.  I have some sympathy for the proprietor in the former case, but absolutely none in the latter.

• Like 2