Alcoholic Milkshakes and Adult Dessert Beverages

DaveO

The other night at Ray's Hell Burger I had an alcoholic shake on their menu.  I believe it had banana ice cream, a dark rum, possibly a liqueur, possibly caramel.  I forget.

I loved it.  Its been years since I've drank these types of drinks.  They are among my favorites.  They are so rare among restaurants, never seen in bars, and among them the only one that is respected is the brandy alexander (as a creme drink) as it's presentation has always been a bit elegant.  On the other hand they do show up as dessert drinks, and you'll find them as "specialty drinks" at places like the cheesecake factory.

My preference is as a shake with blended ice cream and relatively little cream or milk added to smooth out the drink, and then the liquor elements.  The liquor elements are endless, often sweet.  Traditionally they are weak, but the Hell Burger version featured Rum, and if one really wants a kick there are sweet liqueurs in the "99" brand, that are 99 proof.  (those are killers.).

They'd probably work great in terms of infused vodkas or rums with fruits, as they are generally sweet and often flavored with berry liqueurs.  They also pop up as Holiday drinks, especially at Christmas time.

They are milk shaky desserts with a very variable amount of alcohol.  For some reason I stopped drinking them, and forgot about them for at least a decade....until the other night at Ray's.  Now I'm off to experiment with a variety of liqueurs, some vodka and/or rums, and a variety of ice cream flavors.

Anyone with favorites of this type of drink?

Ok, I'll weigh on on this- I like alcohol & I like the occasional sweet treat, but to combine them together- it's pretty much a 1x/ yr thing, unless you're young (sort of a frat boy drink, the only ones who can recover from this). But f I were concocting one- coffee ice cream, rum or vodka, crushed ice, cinnamon, ginger syrup. One would be sufficient & a good dessert.

I had the same response the other day when a friend suggested hot cider w/ salted caramel apple vodka- it might be ok, but just a hair too much, & it would be wretched.

• Like 1

Ok, I'll weigh on on this- I like alcohol & I like the occasional sweet treat, but to combine them together- it's pretty much a 1x/ yr thing, unless you're young (sort of a frat boy drink, the only ones who can recover from this). But f I were concocting one- coffee ice cream, rum or vodka, crushed ice, cinnamon, ginger syrup. One would be sufficient & a good dessert.

I had the same response the other day when a friend suggested hot cider w/ salted caramel apple vodka- it might be ok, but just a hair too much, & it would be wretched.

"it's pretty much a 1x/ yr thing"   When I was in the habit of having these drinks, I for one, drank a lot of them.   But the habit died and I haven't had any in a long time.

I did find them to be infinitely variable allowing for endless experimentation; endless variations on which ice creams, innumerable liqueurs for flavoring and taste, plus sauces, various fruit, etc etc.

Endless variations. These drinks do carry a lot of calories, but I was burning through calories during the period when I had them most often, so indulging again might have different results.  Still remarkably tasty drinks imho.

I hear you-I don't want to think about it, but if my college age son was drinking this stuff, I'd understand- this is what I drank, when I was his age- tasty stuff! & he's an athlete, so he'll burn it off. It's horrible to get old, & have to think about sugar & calories & how to burn off the stuff you drink, but I agree about how these drinks lend themselves to experimentation & creativity.

I hear you-I don't want to think about it, but if my college age son was drinking this stuff, I'd understand- this is what I drank, when I was his age- tasty stuff! & he's an athlete, so he'll burn it off. It's horrible to get old, & have to think about sugar & calories & how to burn off the stuff you drink, but I agree about how these drinks lend themselves to experimentation & creativity.

LOL.  I'm looking forward to this experiment.  I am equally aware overindulging at this point of life might have dire results with regard to weight and calories.  Oh well.  We'll see.  ;)

Its so funny.  I never would have had these in college.  I think of these as an entirely "uncool" drink.  They have milk, creme or ice cream.  I think of them as uncool for college, uncool and really not efficient for bars, and mostly uncool as cocktails, let alone they lend themselves more to a dessert than a drink before or with a meal.   Oh what the heck. I'm plunging forward with some experiments.  I think I'll try some basic ice creams and some premium ice creams, choose a couple of flavorful liqueurs, and probably use fairly inexpensive vodka and rums, let alone some spiced rums.  As I see it, there is too much overall flavor and sweet to use premium liquors or liqueurs.  Its all in the interest of science!!!!  :D

Ok, you just need to post after you drink them, & we definitely think of you as a scientist who is doing this for all of us-you're not pre-diabetic, are you? A good milkshake is a good thing, & a bit of alcohol won't hurt you. Maybe you should have a party, & spread the milkshakes/love out...

Yes, it's seasonal, but we made this one countless times last holiday season, to the (literally) shrieking delight of many guests:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/aaron-mccargo-jr/countdown-8-eggnog-pumpkin-milk-shake-with-cinnamon-wafer-cookies-recipe.html

We added all kinds of spirits from our experimental creations; spiced rum, vanilla whiskey, tropical fruit-infused vodka, it was all good.

• Like 3

Yes, it's seasonal, but we made this one countless times last holiday season, to the (literally) shrieking delight of many guests:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/aaron-mccargo-jr/countdown-8-eggnog-pumpkin-milk-shake-with-cinnamon-wafer-cookies-recipe.html

We added all kinds of spirits from our experimental creations; spiced rum, vanilla whiskey, tropical fruit-infused vodka, it was all good.

Big time YUM.  :D

@KMango.  Thanks for the recipe, description of the variations, and success.  The drink component is quite simple. But its also more complex and measured than what I had done in the past. Now, I'll review some shake recipes for some that look inviting.  (pumpkin is not my fave flavor or first choice).  Then I'll dive ahead. Meanwhile, I've never had a vanilla whiskey.  Need to go out and give those a try also-- Ha ha.

We used to have alcoholic milkshakes for Sunday breakfast during the summer when I was in grad school.  My housemate was usually the instigator, and he didn't make them all that strong, because it was Sunday morning after all. In the winter it was spiked cappuccino.

I have not tried this, but my parents swear by it for holiday parties: to make a hug batch of eggnog, let a large container of vanilla ice cream completely melt. Add in a whole bottle of Kahlua (or whatever you want). Mix, and you are done. None of their guests would believe them that it was just melted ice cream....  (I prefer the raw egg kind with cognac myself for nog).