Island Style Ice Cream - Owners Harry Brockenberry Carries on Pancita Brydson Brockenberry's Legacy of Jamaican Ice Cream on 34th Street in Mount Rainier

This small ice cream store is located on the first floor of a residential building just off of Rt. 1 in Mt. Rainier, a few blocks from the border with the District near the silly "traffic circle". Metered street parking is available along 34th.

The sign out front indicates that the ice creams are organic; they are also made personally by the owner, who told us that he was in the middle of making a new batch. We arrived about an hour before the official close time on a Friday, but he was in the midst of closing down, possibly because the previous batch of ice cream was almost gone. The regular flavors include a few "standards" such as cookies n cream and mint chocolate, as well as grape nut, coconut, sour sop, mango, stout, and a few more tropical fruit flavors.

We were able to each get a cup of ice cream ($3), I had the grape nuts while my companions had mint chocolate chip and cookies n cream. The grape nut had a soft, creamy texture and a definite taste of grape nuts; my companions reported that they enjoyed their selections as well.

I think there is a minimum for credit cards, and you might want to call ahead to see what the selection is like if you have a craving for a particular flavor.