Georgetown Cafe & Bakery - Diner at 21 S. King Street in Old Town Leesburg

My four year-old daughter and I made a stop at Windy City Red Hots for a tasty lunch on a wonderful day. As we walked out of the restaurant I noticed a bakery across the street so we headed over for dessert.

We entered and I looked around for the usual displays of baked goods one would normally find in a bakery. After asking a waitress for some direction, she said "we're not really a bakery". I got the impression she regularly dealt with this confusion.

My sweet little girl did not take this very well, but with promises of apple cider doughnuts at Great Country Farms in nearby Bluemont, I carried her out before she went postal.

FYI,

Al

My sweet little girl did not take this very well, but with promises of apple cider doughnuts at Great Country Farms in nearby Bluemont, I carried her out before she went postal.

Be glad you didn't go.

Georgetown Cafe & Diner is owned by Fabian Saeidi, who owns many of the restaurants on that block - his mini-monopoly includes:

15 S. King St. - Old Town Grill (Formerly The Green Tree)

19 S. King St. - Leesburg Colonial Inn

19 S. King St. - King's Tavern and Wine Bar (Formerly King's Court Tavern, Formerly Bella Luna Ristorante)

21 S. King St. - Georgetown Cafe & Diner

2 Loudoun St. SW - Ball's Bluff Tavern

I don't know if Mr. Saeidi still owns all of these places, but he did at some point or another - he is the Proctor & Gamble of Old Town Leesburg, and *all* of these dining establishments are to be avoided: I haven't dined in every single one, but I've dined in several, and that was enough to figure out that something weird was going on. I inquired from a server, and she told me (this is about ten years ago) that this whole block is seemingly owned by one man, and strongly implied - without coming right out and saying it - that these are a bunch of tourist traps operating under the guise of different names so people have a variety of things to choose from. This is one of the worst dining blocks in the Washington, DC area, and that includes the suburbs and exurbs - Saeidi has owned some of these places for more than forty years.

Caveat Emptor.

in general, the historic downtown area of leesburg is dismal minus the wine kitchen and palios. but for the most part all of the hearsay is true. balls bluff no longer exists and the "colonial inn" are a group of rooms above the georgetown cafe and kings court which maybe for board? i live down here and it is sad to see how this historic area, which should be the pinnacle of the town, is owned and operated by a bunch of inept dinosaurs that refuse to update or refine their practices. service here is laughable, knowledge of cuisine is deplorable and decor is like stepping into a time machine into the late 80s. icing on the cake: all of the owners (whom i know and have spoken to) have the same smug "i've been doing this for "x" amount of years and it works just fine" mentality and answers. the lightfoot being the WORST ($35 for a Sysco Select Filet). i really hope there is a renaissance of sorts and either new owners/operators step in or the old reinvent.  the good part of this is that it encourages my wife and i to explore the countryside for gems which we constantly find (the shack, Staunton; Grandvale on the 868 winery, Spelunkers in Front Royal,  Farm at Potowmack, etc.)...it truly is a sad state of affairs in historic leesburg and hopefully something will happen soon to amend them.