Dining in North Georgetown

the original austin grill is closed. it was the best in the chain, which has crusted, and now it is in the dust.

Really? As of this week, I guess it would have to be as I ate there on Sunday. It has been in steep decline of late. Virtually no staff (a server, a bartender, a manager often doubling as a server, a busser), really rough service, etc. But I didn't expect it to close! sad.gif

Really? As of this week, I guess it would have to be as I ate there on Sunday. It has been in steep decline of late. Virtually no staff (a server, a bartender, a manager often doubling as a server, a busser), really rough service, etc. But I didn't expect it to close! sad.gif

our son was predicting any day now more than a month ago. (he seems to know just about everyone in that block.) i don't want to sound harsh, but i wish they had shut down the bethesda branch before we ate there a couple of months ago.

some cash in and others cash out:

http://www.bizjourna...y75.html?page=1

Going to a show tonight with my wife and we're looking for a quick meal. Unfortunately, we're not very familiar with this area (sort of in between Georgetown and Glover Park). Can anybody give us any recommendations? Thanks!

It's a little late to help you with your show, but to answer the question, we have to define what, exactly, "North Georgetown" is.

It can be loosely defined as the area between Glover Park and Georgetown, but what does that mean?

The easiest way to "understand" the notion of North Georgetown is to begin at the southern edge of Glover Park, near the Holiday Inn. There is a natural geographical division here, bisecting Wisconsin Avenue with parkland: the Dumbarton Oaks / Naval Observatory area is on the east, and the Whitehaven / Holy Rood Cemetery area is on the west. There is very much of a "gap" here in terms of Wisconsin Avenue development, and this is where "North Georgetown" begins.

Start at Whitehaven Parkway, and begin walking south until you reach Georgetown (we'll get to what "Georgetown" is in a moment). Along the way, here is what you'll find (conveniently, this starting point is located exactly at 2000 Wisconsin Avenue):

1819 (35th St.) On your right, the Glover Park-Burleith Farmer's Market (dcgreens.org) in the Hardy Middle School Parking Lot, open Sat 9-1, between May 12th and Nov 17th.

1855 On your left, the Social Safeway has a Starbucks, and if you can call it a restaurant (I certainly cannot), a Signature Cafe.

These two landmarks are the northern tip of North Georgetown. Proceeding south down Wisconsin Avenue:

1834 Cafe Divan (which amazingly we don't have a thread for), located in Washington DC's version of the Flatiron Building, and not surprisingly, serving breakfast on the weekends from 9-1, the exact time slot that the farmer's market is open on Saturdays. Don't be surprised to see Saturday breakfast go away after November 17th.

1826 Homemade Pizza Co.

1810 Starbucks (site of the 1997 tragedy)

1736 Bistrot Lepic (with the upstairs Wine Bar)

1734 Shanghai Lounge (note: this is not the Shanghai Tea House in Glover Park; it used to be the Korean restaurant Arisu, and before that, Curry Club).

1721 Casbah Cafe

1721 Ledo Pizza (this and Casbah Cafe may, or may not, be related businesses; all I know is that they share the same address).

At this point, you cross Reservoir Road, and there is little doubt you're in Georgetown - you can begin to "feel" it. But just in case you're not sure, if you continue, you'll encounter a group of restaurants so obscure that even local afishionados :) will never have heard of them:

1669 Macaroon Bee (yes, there is a macaroon bakery here)

1665 The Bean Counter (primarily coffee, but also soups and sandwiches)

1645 Patisserie Poupon (as with Cafe Divan, I'm surprised that we don't have a thread for this very good bakery)

1641 Manny & Olga's

1639 Book Hill Bistro (the northernmost full-service restaurant in Georgetown properperceived - incidentally, this tiny subsection of Georgetown is called "Book Hill")

1618 Pizza Movers (cheaper rent + delivery + Georgetown U. = Pizza Movers and Manny & Olga's)

1608 Basil Thai (I've eaten here once and it wasn't bad at all, No MSG (note the amusing rant on their website))

1623 Georgetown Cafe (now closed, but this and Little Tavern were the original "after-hours" food places at the end of a liquor-soaked Georgetown night)

1564 Los Cuates (standard Tex-Mex, formerly Howsoon Cham's Red Ginger Bistro)

1560 Dolcezza (the original location)

And then you cross Q Street, and are deep into the heart of Georgetown.

Your best options here are Bistrot Lepic, Cafe Divan, Patisserie Poupon and Dolcezza, with Basil Thai perhaps being a sleeper. Los Cuates is an attractive restaurant, but I was there only once, about four years ago, and nothing stood out to me.