Rest In Peace, Mark Kuller (1952-2014)

squidsdc

Wow.  How sad and how brutal.  I didn't know him, but remember being very impressed after reading a long article about him in the Post (?) last year.  He seemed larger than life and an unstoppable force.

Screw ebola, that cancer is the real evil.

Rest in peace, and thoughts and prayers to his family.

• Like 1

I feel like I'm supposed to do something, but I'm paralyzed.

The details are in the Post; Mark F. provides the summary: "Mark Kuller died today. We knew he would but what a loss."

Some text messages:

9/22 7:31 PM

"Give me a status whenever you feel like it."

9/23 11:53 AM

"Rough Don. Fiighting."

"Maybe don't fight so much Mark? Is there anything I can do at all?"

"Max's wedding 11/1. Im best man. Need to B there"

And then, a few weeks of messages from me with no response.

A string of advice, panic, optimism, realism, reaching out, apologies for reaching out too much.

Nothing.

The community will be offline from 12-1 tomorrow as a gesture of silence and respect for Mark.

• Like 1

So sad. RIP Mark Kuller. I didn't know Mark personally but he was always a great host when we'd see him at Proof from the early days, and I have a fond memory of exchanging sly messages with him on this site about a popular restaurant we'd both eaten at that neither of us liked. He seemed like an all around good (and fun) guy.

This is sad, prayers for his family & friends. My best friend (we've been 'sisters' since we were 9) told me 6 weeks ago she has stage 4 liver cancer & I haven't accepted it yet- it sucks. I'm sure many people have wonderful memories & stories about him, though-he sounds like that kind of guy.

It wasn't that long ago that I tried to talk him into opening an Estadio in Reston Town Center  on here.

I just really loved his passion and his praise for so many restaurants that he would visit.  He was also usually the first.

I never met Mark but I felt that I knew him from his writing and his heart that he put into his words.

I cried when I heard.

It wasn't that long ago that I tried to talk him into opening an Estadio in Reston Town Center  on here.

I just really loved his passion and his praise for so many restaurants that he would visit.  He was also usually the first.

I never met Mark but I felt that I knew him from his writing and his heart that he put into his words.

I cried when I heard.

Four of us moaned our way through sixteen courses and tastes at Estadio last night at the Chef's counter.  I thought about Mark a lot.  Still, a great, great restaurant that was every bit as crowded at 5:30 (every seat was full) in February 2016 as it was when it opened.  And every bit as good.

I wish I could have shared a glass of wine with him.

• Like 1

Four of us moaned our way through sixteen courses and tastes at Estadio last night at the Chef's counter.  I thought about Mark a lot.  Still, a great, great restaurant that was every bit as crowded at 5:30 (every seat was full) in February 2016 as it was when it opened.  And every bit as good.

I wish I could have shared a glass of wine with him.

Funny, I was just thinking about Mark this evening. There seems to be some unwritten taboo about discussing his restaurants - I don't think he would want that. Oh, he'll be up in heaven, pissing on me, that much I know, but he'll at least want a reason to piss on me.

• Like 2