The Rogue Gentlemen, Classic Cocktail Bar on N. 1st and E. Jackson Street, Richmond

Recently had dinner at Rogue Gentlemen and came away impressed.  Impeccable cooking, a great cocktail program, nice atmosphere, good service, and plentiful neighborhood parking.  And the prices are indeed quite moderate on the pocketbook.  

(I doubt anyone will ever read this comment, since it's ghettoized in its own tiny thread.  Too bad, this place is worth the repeated miseries of driving down I-95).

A re-visit confirms our initial impression.  This place is awesome.  Wonderful modern American cuisine at good prices, fab cocktails and cocktail book.  If ever there was a chef(s) driven restaurant, this would be it.  We ate at a lot of great places in 2013 and 2014 and I can think of a number that are as good as Rogue Gentlemen, but I can't think of any that are "better".  Off the current menu, the $15 foie gras and smoked mussel pasta are must orders, but nothing we ate wasn't awesome.  We're plotting a weekend getaway here in January primarily for the purpose of eating more and drinking more here.

The "Open 7 Days Until Midnight" tag for this restaurant is wrong wrong wrong.  On both the printed menu and the website, no Monday hours are listed.  The kitchen seems to close by 10 PM or earlier on a quiet night.

• Like 1

(I doubt anyone will ever read this comment, since it's ghettoized in its own tiny thread.  Too bad, this place is worth the repeated miseries of driving down I-95).

A re-visit confirms our initial impression.  This place is awesome.  Wonderful modern American cuisine at good prices, fab cocktails and cocktail book.  If ever there was a chef(s) driven restaurant, this would be it.  We ate at a lot of great places in 2013 and 2014 and I can think of a number that are as good as Rogue Gentlemen, but I can't think of any that are "better".  Off the current menu, the $15 foie gras and smoked mussel pasta are must orders, but nothing we ate wasn't awesome.  We're plotting a weekend getaway here in January primarily for the purpose of eating more and drinking more here.

The "Open 7 Days Until Midnight" tag for this restaurant is wrong wrong wrong.  On both the printed menu and the website, no Monday hours are listed.  The kitchen seems to close by 10 PM or earlier on a quiet night.

Agree (though not about the first sentence) - Richmond seems to have a number of this type of place, small restaurants that have opened in neighborhoods you wouldn't normally go trekking through that have strong cocktail programs and vibrant cooking with both small and large plates.  Of those that I've tried, RG has been the standout (though I have, and you should, spent some time hopping from joint to joint as many have merit).  The fried chicken skins were an indulgence that, while I may not order again due to the fact that I don't need a lot of fried chicken skins in my life, were very well prepared and pleasantly unique.  The foie gras seems to change somewhat seasonally as I see on the current menu bruleed sweet potato is now involved, but the summer rendition I had was and well-balanced and a dish I'd go back for.

And that cocktail menu - or more accurately that cocktail book (for those that haven't been I don't mean book in that it is voluminous, but that it is an actual book).  Sure its a bit gimmicky, but man it was a nice touch and says to patrons - Hey, we take our cocktails seriously.  Luckily the final product matches the marketing.