Mia's Pizzas, Cordell Avenue in Bethesda - Owner Melissa Ballinger Relinquishes Control to the Olazzo Team

I don't think it had slipped much in recent years, but other restaurants in that area have upped their game, and they were pretty much doing the same thing.

With increased costs, and certainly due for an increase in rent with a new lease, I think she just decided to walk away. Hard to make money in that neighborhood with high rent selling pizza.

Had dinner at Mia's last Thursday and was quite impressed. I thought it was better than it had been in years-- I used to go frequently and then other pizza places beckoned, notably Pupatella (we make the trek regularly from Chevy Chase to Arlington just to go there.) I did not know about the change in ownership until today, and I was surprised to hear that Melissa Ballinger was no longer in charge. It seems unusual for a restaurant to drastically improve after a big change, mostly it's the other way around.

Anyway we had 4 pizzas: Mia's, Genovese, Jorge's Inferno, and Exotic mushroom. The topping were fresh and flavorful, and the crust was definitely in a league with the top pizza in the DMV. Go figure.

• Like 1