Air Force Memorial (2006), 270-Foot Tall Spires Next To Arlington Cemetery and The Pentagon

porcupine

I'm wondering how interesting this is if you can see it only at ground level. I visited "The Gates" during its time in Central Park, and the ground-level experience was what it was all about...walking through gate after gate, and I totally loved it, and remember it as one of the high points of my life.

The pictures of the leafy green mall in that article remind me of how much I *don't* want any more development anytime soon.

So out of curiosity, how do the two of you feel about the Air Force memorial?

I'm not sure. It doesn't take up much land, but it takes up a good deal of skyline. It adequately conveys jet exhaust plumes, but is that something worth conveying? Honestly, I've never really thought about it much before just now. It's right at the Pentagon, so it's appropriately situated and doesn't take up any Mall space - in fact, I got lost driving about a month ago, and just drove right next to it for the very first time.

In general, I object to things vying for attention, and this can be seen from all over; yet, the Air Force is a vertical thing so it could be seen as appropriate that it rises into the sky. It's certainly not my least-favorite memorial, although I think it could be executed with more subtlety. That said, it really catches the eye of people driving down I-395.

(I really did just wake up, so my brain is on about 20% power right now.)

And you?

I find it inoffensive, and rather graceful. If it had been installed on the Mall, I would hate it. I dislike the Marine Corps memorial nearby, but rarely have to look at it. Also inoffensive is the Navy memorial on Pennsylvania Avenue. There are far worse plazas with fountains. The masts are kind of silly. (You didn't ask but I detest the Lincoln Memorial. Such a graceless, joyless structure, and the gargantuan statue of Lincoln enthroned is grotesque.)

I'm not sure. It doesn't take up much land, but it takes up a good deal of skyline. It adequately conveys jet exhaust plumes, but is that something worth conveying? Honestly, I've never really thought about it much before just now. It's right at the Pentagon, so it's appropriately situated and doesn't take up any Mall space - in fact, I got lost driving about a month ago, and just drove right next to it for the very first time.

In general, I object to things vying for attention, and this can be seen from all over; yet, the Air Force is a vertical thing so it could be seen as appropriate that it rises into the sky. It's certainly not my least-favorite memorial, although I think it could be executed with more subtlety. That said, it really catches the eye of people driving down I-395.

(I really did just wake up, so my brain is on about 20% power right now.)

And you?

I find it inoffensive, and rather graceful. If it had been installed on the Mall, I would hate it. I dislike the Marine Corps memorial nearby, but rarely have to look at it. Also inoffensive is the Navy memorial on Pennsylvania Avenue. There are far worse plazas with fountains. The masts are kind of silly. (You didn't ask but I detest the Lincoln Memorial. Such a graceless, joyless structure, and the gargantuan statue of Lincoln enthroned is grotesque.)

I like it.  Reads as abstract at first if you don't know what it is or what it's supposed to represent, and it's representational without being literal.  Agree with The Hersch about placement, but isn't that true of any architecture?  A building should fit its site, not just sit on the ground like a bump on a log.

• Like 1