Mission BBQ, Owners Bill Kraus and Steve Newton's Glen Burnie BBQ Chain Now Operating or Opening in Several DC Suburban Locations

I grabbed lunch to go from the Laurel location. Based on Hunter's review, I ordered the "moist" brisket as part of my 2 meat combo. I enjoy cooking brisket at home, but don't tend to order it out anymore because it's rarely anything but boring and bland. This meat was delicious however. I will happily order it again. My experience pretty much lined up with Hunter's experiences. Pulled pork was good, but probably nothing to write home about - heavily seasoned, a little on the dry side. I remember having potato salad (that I really liked) as a side when I had it at the catered event - they seem to have replaced it (seasonally) with what they call baked cheesy potatoes. Good, especially with a touch of salt, but I missed the advertised golden brown crust. Cole slaw was good. Corn bread is meh, very soft and crumbly with dried out pieces of corn.

They had 6 sauces available, none particularly traditional in my inexperienced opinion. I found a good number, including the spicy one had a touch of sweetness that I could do without. I ended up using the KC Classic the most, and adding some of the smoky sauce (one that had a touch of sweetness) mixed with the classic to the pulled pork.

Staff was very friendly, my food was prepared efficiently and the place was rocking for a brand new location. I will definitely be back - I support what they're doing and I liked everything I had enough to want to try more.

On ‎3‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 8:44 AM, cheezepowder said:

Bethesda Magazine reported that the Wintergreen Plaza, Rockville location is expected to open on March 13.

There is another one getting ready to open in the Kingstowne area in the Landsdowne Shopping center at the corner of Telegraph Rd and Beulah Street.  It's going in where Red, Hot and Blue used to be (it closed last fall).  I work in the same shopping center at the library but haven't seen any indication of an opening date.

• Like 1

On 3/2/2017 at 7:50 PM, Biscuit Girl said:

There is another one getting ready to open in the Kingstowne area in the Landsdowne Shopping center at the corner of Telegraph Rd and Beulah Street.  It's going in where Red, Hot and Blue used to be (it closed last fall).  I work in the same shopping center at the library but haven't seen any indication of an opening date.

The location in Kingstowne just opened.  The wait times have been crazy so if you plan to go in the next month or two, expect long lines. 

According to their website, Mission BBQ does what it does "for the love of our soldiers, firefighters, police officers, first responders—all our loved ones in service."  I applaud their mission. I just wish it was easier to believe, based on the pictures they display on the walls of their Rockville location, that they are interested in honoring non-white soldiers, firefighters, police officers, and first responders as well.  

1 hour ago, Rhone1998 said:

According to their website, Mission BBQ does what it does "for the love of our soldiers, firefighters, police officers, first responders—all our loved ones in service."  I applaud their mission. I just wish it was easier to believe, based on the pictures they display on the walls of their Rockville location, that they are interested in honoring non-white soldiers, firefighters, police officers, and first responders as well.  

Not doubting you; just seeking clarification - please expand: Your post implies pictures of white-(male?)-only public-protection personnel, and has one heck of a strong implication - it's not impossible that the pictures are the work of one individual who hasn't been scrutinized, or even noticed.

As a (possible) parallel, the wine critic, Robert Parker, was so deluged that he unwittingly let some of his associates abuse his trust. I don't think much of Parker's palate, or writing ability, but I don't think he's a crook, either - never have. On a much smaller scale, I have also let people do things for me (without supervision) who ended up biting me in the ass because I was too trusting. (If any of you are reading this: please don't conflate "eternal optimism" with "stupidity.")

All I'm saying is: Don't assume an entire entity is evil because of one transgression that *might* have been by a rogue individual. That said ... I had absolutely no knowledge of this before reading your post.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DonRocks said:

Not doubting you; just seeking clarification - please expand: Your post implies pictures of white-(male?)-only public-protection personnel, and has one heck of a strong implication - it's not impossible that the pictures are the work of one individual who hasn't been scrutinized, or even noticed.

As a (possible) parallel, the wine critic, Robert Parker, was so deluged that he unwittingly let some of his associates abuse his trust. I don't think much of Parker's palate, or writing ability, but I don't think he's a crook, either - never have. On a much smaller scale, I have also let people do things for me (without supervision) who ended up biting me in the ass because I was too trusting. (If any of you are reading this: please don't conflate "eternal optimism" with "stupidity.")

All I'm saying is: Don't assume an entire entity is evil because of one transgression that *might* have been by a rogue individual. That said ... I had absolutely no knowledge of this before reading your post.

All I'm saying is I walked the perimeter of the Rockville location today while I was waiting for my food and after I finished.  The restaurant is decorated with pictures, mostly of military situations and military personnel.  Dozens and dozens of pictures, probably hundreds.  And looking at those pictures, you would never guess, as I just learned Googling it, that "Racial and ethnic minority groups made up 40% of Defense Department active-duty military..." The pictures are nearly all of white soldiers (and Marines, Airmen...).  I can't comment on the idea of the person responsible being rogue in some way, I'm just saying that's how someone chose to decorate this restaurant. And even if you don't attribute anything nefarious to it, something just felt really off about it to me.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Rhone1998 said:

All I'm saying is I walked the perimeter of the Rockville location today while I was waiting for my food and after I finished.  The restaurant is decorated with pictures, mostly of military situations and military personnel.  Dozens and dozens of pictures, probably hundreds.  And looking at those pictures, you would never guess, as I just learned Googling it, that "Racial and ethnic minority groups made up 40% of Defense Department active-duty military..." The pictures are nearly all of white soldiers (and Marines, Airmen...).  I can't comment on the idea of the person responsible being rogue in some way, I'm just saying that's how someone chose to decorate this restaurant. And even if you don't attribute anything nefarious to it, something just felt really off about it to me.

Understood and much-appreciated. I suspect your post will be found by Mission, and acted upon (that's the only reason I commented as I did - to try and be as responsible a moderator as I can be).

I dropped by the Rockville location today for a late lunch. It's in my once a month or so rotation. I've enjoyed the atmosphere and appreciated the staff's sincere assistance. Their current special is espresso-rubbed and smoked ribeye. It was moist and smokey with a crisp sear. There was an excellent dongle of fat and it didn't need sauce to shine. 

I spent a few moments glancing at the "if these walls could talk" photos. Some were personal, while other looked like stock photos. The walls also had a Rockville City police corporal's uniform jacket in a shadow box and other patches and local mementos. The back wall was filled by football jerseys and helmets from the service academies. When I reached the cashier, I asked where they got everything. The cashier said that many items were donated by employees and customers. She pointed out some of the individuals' photos hanging on the wall behind her and identified them by their relatives in the company.

She went on to say they would be happy to receive donated photos. Maybe because this location is less than six months old, this would be a good time to add to their collection. I've attached their donation form and may find something for them. 

DonationSheet_MissionBBQ.jpg

On 4/20/2018 at 1:48 PM, B.A.R. said:

I find commerce, cloaked in patriotism and military pride, to be stomach turning. It is the "mission" of Mission Barebecue.  

I find the playing of the National Anthem at noon to be absurd. I love  our country. I love barbecue. This place gives me the creeps and is not for me.

Glad I'm not the only person who feels a bit weirded out by that. It seems so conspicuously pious. 

The bbq is pretty good though. I'm willing to look the other way on it because at least the food is good.

They have another location in Sterling which has probably been there for 8+ months.  It is in the space formerly occupied by Applebees. 

Now Open: Mission BBQ at Village Center at Dulles by Fatimah Waseem RestonNow

Have only been to the Sterling location for a lunch about 6 weeks ago.  Was disappointed in what $10 got me from their "Specials" menu - it was maybe 3 very thin slices of smoked meatloaf.  That was it - no sides, no drink. Seemed odd, and the meatloaf was nothing spectacular.  Comparing to other local BBQ places, usually a ~$10 lunch gets me sandwich or meatloaf with 2 sides, and I leave stuffed.  I left Mission on a mission to find something else to eat.

• Thanks 1

I don't know how many outlets Mission BBQ now has, but it is expanding extremely rapidly, and the number of locations might now be over 100 (if anyone is curious, you can go to their website, and count the number by state).

I've driven past them numerous times, but have never been in: Can anyone give me any culinary reason to try it, especially when places such as Smoking Kow are generally within reach? I don't wish to go and have a 1,500-calorie meal just to say "I've tried it once."

Regarding the issue discussed above, their website certainly seems inclusive to me - I'm hopeful that this is now a non-issue. Regarding the patriotism, I just look at it as a theme, and to the founders, it may be a passion, but to the consumer in the end, it's just a theme to be enjoyed, ignored, or shunned.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DonRocks said:

I don't know how many outlets Mission BBQ now has, but it is expanding extremely rapidly, and the number of locations might now be over 100 (if anyone is curious, you can go to their website, and count the number by state).

I've driven past them numerous times, but have never been in: Can anyone give me any culinary reason to try it, especially when places such as Smoking Kow are generally within reach? I don't wish to go and have a 1,500-calorie meal just to say "I've tried it once."

Regarding the issue discussed above, their website certainly seems inclusive to me - I'm hopeful that this is now a non-issue. Regarding the patriotism, I just look at it as a theme, and to the founders, it may be a passion, but to the consumer in the end, it's just a theme to be enjoyed, ignored, or shunned.

I think it is one of the better chain bbq restaurants, but I don't crave it, and I won't go out of my way to eat there. For that, I'll seek out The Pit Stop in Sterling.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Jeff Heineman said:

I second what Dean said. 

I started to eat the worst sausage I have ever put in my mouth at the Columbia location. It reminded me why I have said many times that, just because someone knows how to smoke meat it does not mean they know how to make sausage. The skill-sets have nothing in common, yet more often than not the barbecue places that say they make their own sausage almost always disappoint. (I'm looking at you, Monk's BBQ).

I forgot how bad their sausage was. It makes me long for superb central Texas sausage such as that sold at Kreuz Market. (You can get it from Hill Country Barbecue, albeit at a significant mark-up). 

One of my late grandfathers made his own sausage, and it was incredible. He lived in North Dakota, and made it from scratch once a year. Whenever they would visit, they would bring sausage that had been frozen in milk cartons. You can find similar tasting sausage in Wishek, ND at https://www.wisheksausage.net/wishek-sausage/.