Yard House, Darden-Owned American Eatery - Springfield Town Center

Menu

Beer Menu (the primary reason this place exists)

I haven't been here yet, but provided I can manage, I'll probably try it tomorrow night or over the weekend.  Darden ownership aside*, I've heard a lot of good things about Yard Houses, and I never got a chance to try the one in Virginia Beach the last time business brought me down that way - I was too busy trying to find cheaper fried scallops.

I'm not expecting to have a religious experience, as typing 'yard house review' into Google spawns an almost impressive spate of 3.5 star reviews after 3.5 star reviews - it's almost as if Darden engineers it for these places to be thought of as 'slightly above average fare.'

* I assume most people know why Darden is reviled on here, but just for newbies - Darden owns Olive Garden, thus cementing themselves as the root of all evil in regards to corporate food culture.

Oh, and evidently Springfield Town Center will be getting a Dave & Busters to replace the one they closed at White Flint.  I have to admit, they're certainly leaning on the chains in regards to eateries/restaurants.

Menu

Beer Menu (the primary reason this place exists)

I haven't been here yet, but provided I can manage, I'll probably try it tomorrow night or over the weekend.  Darden ownership aside*, I've heard a lot of good things about Yard Houses, and I never got a chance to try the one in Virginia Beach the last time business brought me down that way - I was too busy trying to find cheaper fried scallops.

I'm not expecting to have a religious experience, as typing 'yard house review' into Google spawns an almost impressive spate of 3.5 star reviews after 3.5 star reviews - it's almost as if Darden engineers it for these places to be thought of as 'slightly above average fare.'

* I assume most people know why Darden is reviled on here, but just for newbies - Darden owns Olive Garden, thus cementing themselves as the root of all evil in regards to corporate food culture.

Oh, and evidently Springfield Town Center will be getting a Dave & Busters to replace the one they closed at White Flint.  I have to admit, they're certainly leaning on the chains in regards to eateries/restaurants.

I've eaten twice at the Yard House in the Gulf Stream complex in Hollywood, Fl. It seems like a well-managed chain...the staff is competent and service is smooth, the restaurant is clean and any issues are handled promptly and courteously. The food is acceptable. The menu attempts to show global influences (Asian, Mexican) but it's all very Americanized. Portions are large. Salt abounds. It's a good choice with an indecisive group (large menu, many options), an unadventurous group or with people who care more about beer than food. It's not a place I would choose for a destination dinner, but if you're nearby, you could do worse.

• Like 1

Is the Springfield location already open?  The website and twitter says it opens on Nov. 26.

I didn't notice that - all I noticed was a lack of "Coming Soon" which had been the only information given up until recently.

While I can't change the topic, I can certainly put red warning letters that this place might not be open yet.

The place is huge! Lots of good beer, service is on the slow side, but they are working hard and it should (hopefully) improve. Burger was good, but it's not like anyone is going here for just the food. And there are TVs everywhere if you are interested in catching a sporting event.

So they only offer half yards, not full?  Pfffft.  Go big or go home ;)

I can't tell from the beer menu posted, but are all of those on draft?  I would assume as much if you can get them by the half yard.  If so that's pretty impressive, but there are some offerings on there that I don't think are available year round.

• Like 1

So they only offer half yards, not full?  Pfffft.  Go big or go home ;)

I can't tell from the beer menu posted, but are all of those on draft?  I would assume as much if you can get them by the half yard.  If so that's pretty impressive, but there are some offerings on there that I don't think are available year round.

Everything is on draft and they offer shortys, pints, and 1/2 yards of each beer. They also have special flights of 6 beers in various categories. It's an impressive ring of taps around the bar.

• Like 1

Wow.  So, I'm *really* a fan of enchiladas.

But seeing this...

LEIh7kZ.jpg

I don't think I'm *ever* going to order their "Chicken Enchilada Stack."  I have a thing about ordering food that looks the same presentation-wise as it probably would when regurgitated.

(not my food, but seriously, running a GIS for 'yard house chicken enchilada stack' doesn't fetch many other better-looking plating examples)

• Like 1

I don't think I'm *ever* going to order their "Chicken Enchilada Stack."  I have a thing about ordering food that looks the same presentation-wise as it probably would when regurgitated.

would that be pregurgitated?

• Like 1

Wow.  So, I'm *really* a fan of enchiladas.

But seeing this...

LEIh7kZ.jpg

(not my food, but seriously, running a GIS for 'yard house chicken enchilada stack' doesn't fetch many other better-looking plating examples)

At first I thought it was a frog sitting on top :lol: .  And I happen to love stacked enchiladas.  First time I ever had them was in West Texas.  A friend of mine I stayed with and helped in her cafe for several weeks had locals who would bring over authentic local food for her.  The stacked enchiladas and accompaniments one of her Tex-Mex neighbors brought over were unlike anything I'd ever had before.  I don't want to taint the memory of that with the above.

I also had fabulous stacked duck enchiladas at Fonda San Miguel in Austin.  Ditto.

• Like 1

C'mon, now.  Springfield TC has a lot more image makeover to tackle than having to deal with the random chance that someone would be living in the confines of the Yard House that just opened there!  I know the post was meant in jest, but I think that STC is a high-risk venture, at best, and needs to be treated with kid gloves.

• Like 2

I had lunch here yesterday, w/ a friend, & was pleasantly surprised. I ordered a bog standard meal of 1/2 turkey club & clam chowder & a Lost Coast tangerine wheat beer. My friend ordered an app of lobster dip, a creamsicle cocktail (ok, sounded yuck to me), when her drink arrived & she tasted it (didn't like it), our waitress noticed immediately, offered to get her something else, & suggestions, but my friend declined, & the server took it away & said she would take it off the bill. When our lunch specials arrived (me-turkey club & clam chowder, her- 4 cheese grilled cheese & tomato bisque), mine was delicious, her grilled cheese was burnt on the surface. She tried scraping it off, the waitress noticed again, sent the manager over, he noted it was burnt, & took that off her ticket, too. I was very impressed that they noticed these things since they had a full house. My food was good & my friend said that despite hers having problems, she would return.