Zeitoon, Moroccan and Mediterranean on Cascades Parkway in Sterling - Closed

On 3/18/2014 at 8:15 PM, DonRocks said:

I'd love to find a good Chicken Bastilla in this area - I remember the first time I ever had the dish was using an Entertainment coupon at Marrakesh, and even though I'm sure it wasn't very good (I was in my mid-20s, and didn't know any better), I was still pretty enchanted with it.

In today's chat, Todd Kliman recommended Zeitoon in Sterling for Moroccan.

In today's chat, Todd Kliman recommended Zeitoon in Sterling for Moroccan.

This type of question plays into Todd's strength - I wouldn't take his suburban ethnic recommendations as gospel - many of them are places I wouldn't send people to - but I always take note of what he says. Having spent some time in Ethiopia, he may now be more rooted, even in places as culturally and geographically distant as Morocco.

I don't see a separate page for it, but Zeitoun is worth a visit, even if it is out in the Sterling sticks. They have some appetizers that you don't see in the usual Middle Eastern rota and they're all vegetarian. I've had the zaalouk, which is an eggplant dip that is very bracing and spicy where baba ghanoush is creamy, almost like a North African salsa.

The bastilla and tagines (my wife has had the lamb and the cornish hen) are excellent, though they seem to sell out of bastilla after lunch. I also have enjoyed their kofta, which is sizable, tender, and has a harissa kick.

Also of note - excellent Moroccan mint tea and a very well executed espresso.

Since the rest of the menu is kind of pan-Mediterranean melange, it's a good place to bring a date that loves to see you eat adventurously while they exercise the pasta option. The owners/entire staff are also incredibly friendly and always push the best dishes once they sense you're moving beyond the cheese pizza.

• Like 1