Photo

Thai X-ing, Florida Ave & 5th St NW, LeDroit Park - Chef Taw Vigsittaboot by Howard Hospital

LeDroit Park Shaw Thai Homestyle BYOB Prix-Fixe Menu Nightly Vegetarian Vegan Gluten Free

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#51 jca76

jca76

shrimp

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 03:00 PM

I had a really disappointing meal with three friends at Thai X-ing last night.  I'd been a fan from multiple previous meals, but hadn't been back in over a year. It's nice that the reservation system has evolved from leaving a voicemail to online reservations, and BYOB is great, but I didn't find much else to recommend.  I was fine dealing with inattentive service and cramped dining rooms -- our drop leaf table for four was so small that we were all sitting with a table leg between our legs -- when the food was excellent, but this meal didn't provide sufficient consolation.  

Everything was much more bland and less spicy than I remembered.  The vegetable soup starter barely tasted Thai; it mostly tasted of mushy celery and potatoes, with some ginger.  Salmon was somewhat dry and coated in a very sweet sauce.  The pumpkin in the curry that I'd loved on every prior visit was just okay, and the pumpkin itself wasn't cooked at soft as I would have preferred.  The green papaya salad and pad see ew were the best dishes, but even they didn't taste out of the ordinary, like what you could get delivered from a decent local Thai place. 

I don't know if this was an off night or it's really gone downhill, but I'm unlikely to go back to find out.  I'd rather keep returning to Little Serow, which provides excellent service, a great beverage program, and fantastic, more interesting food at a price comparable to Thai X-ing's large group/weekend pricing.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users