Mellow Mushroom, An Atlanta-Based Pizza Franchise Founded in 1974 With Over 150 Locations Nationwide

so, did anyone ever start a thread for Mellow Mushroom? We had a craving for pizza last night, Pete's wasn't picking up their phone, and so we bundled up and sat at the bar at Mellow. And it is, in fact, mellow. Decent beer list, TVs on but quiet, not slammed. Yes, all of the pizza names are hilarious if you're easily amused. I had the Kosmic Karma, which was a red-sauce pizza with pesto, tomato, spinach, mozz and feta-- though I had them hold the feta. The crust is brushed with dried cheese, as well. Nick had a calzone. This is not couture pizza, it's college-town pizza. Really nice bartender, and it hit the spot.

• Like 2

so, did anyone ever start a thread for Mellow Mushroom? We had a craving for pizza last night, Pete's wasn't picking up their phone, and so we bundled up and sat at the bar at Mellow. And it is, in fact, mellow. Decent beer list, TVs on but quiet, not slammed. Yes, all of the pizza names are hilarious if you're easily amused. I had the Kosmic Karma, which was a red-sauce pizza with pesto, tomato, spinach, mozz and feta-- though I had them hold the feta. The crust is brushed with dried cheese, as well. Nick had a calzone. This is not couture pizza, it's college-town pizza. Really nice bartender, and it hit the spot.

We've been hitting one in the 'burbs of Dallas, and it has become a regular haunt. The calzone is a favorite; a crispy/crackle top crust, with judicious application of high quality fillings---of special note are the artichoke hearts (water, not oil-marinated) and house-made sausage (fennel seed, rejoice!). This is a welcomed step above the the tough wall of thick dough and heaps of gloopy, oily fillings of other calzone venues. Another savory bite comes from the sweet Thai chili flavor of the oven roasted wings, more satisfying than they sound.  Although perhaps not available everywhere, we dig the Abita root beer on tap.

I peeked into the kitchen on my first visit and saw everything from the garlic to the mushrooms to the flour had Mellow Mushroom packaging. They must own the entire supply chain, which I interpreted as an admirable strive for consistency. Yes, that means locally sourced ingredients are out of the running, which is a flavor bummer. The upside is a reliable/repeatable experience from visit to visit.

Since they opened two months ago, our local TX location features over 20 beers on tap.  We overheard interesting franchise gossip---the bartender mentioned that for the first 90 days, every new Mellow is on probation. They are restricted from certain things, including establishment of a Beer Club.  He said "rumor has it" the overall Beer Club may phase out over time, as it may not be clearly aligned with the company's other health/wellness/wholesomeness values.

(pshaw)

(everything in moderation)

(including moderation)

It has been over ten years since the thread about Baci Vini + Locanda was updated, so I thought I'd give an update on 2436 18th St. NW (Southwestern Adams Morgan).

Before Baci Vini + Locanda, the space was an Italian-esque restaurant, Anzu, run by the same owners, and the second floor turned into a dance party on the weekends.

I don't know whether Anzu's owners are related to Anzu Partners.

On Oct 13, 2011, Mellow Mushroom (a Georgia franchise first opened in 1974) opened its first DC location here, and has been here ever since, having opened numerous other restaurants in the DC area. The principals are Amit and Pooja Mehta.

I thought Baci Vini + Locanda closed before 2011, but I can find absolutely *no* information about when it closed, or what replaced it. Does anyone know? 

The reason I think it closed so long ago is because it's listed as the first Adams Morgan restaurant to close in the Dining Guide since this community opened on Apr 15, 2005, and there have been a *lot* of Adams Morgan closures - still, that could simply have been placed at the top mistakenly, I just don't remember.

Anyway, it's now a Mellow Mushroom. :)

20 hours ago, Rieux said:

The Holy Shiitake pizza here is like crack.  Totally addictive, but I usually ask them to go light on the aioli, since the toppings already make this a total gut bomb.  

So true.  Between the DC area and SC, we don't go to MM more three or four times a year -- otherwise, we'd try to explore the menu further -- and always end up ordering this.  Except with full aioli.  It was the first thing that erin79 ate two hours after giving birth to our daughter in May.

• Like 1

When I was in college, I had some frat bros work at the nearest Mellow Mushroom.  They were always stoned and so apparently were others who worked there.  So pizza was often late because everyone forgot and the pizza got burnt.  So we went to the Mellow Mushroom in Herndon after soccer today.  When our waitress said the pizza's gonna be late because it got "stuck" and burnt - it just reminded me of college.  I haven't had MM in 30 years.

• Haha 2

On 11/17/2016 at 3:24 PM, Rieux said:

The Holy Shiitake pizza here is like crack.  Totally addictive, but I usually ask them to go light on the aioli, since the toppings already make this a total gut bomb.  

It's our go-to order at MM too (with a few orders of meatballs as an app). Two slices of Holy Shiitake is the perfect meal. No light aioli here!