Reheating Leftover Pizza

agm

I'm still trying to master the art of reheating these. Even if I put them into a pre-heated oven, directly on the rack, the [Pupatella] crust comes out softer than I'd like - if anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears.

A skillet with a lid - the direct heat will crisp the crust, and the lid will help the toppings heat and the cheese melt.

• Like 2

A skillet with a lid - the direct heat will crisp the crust, and the lid will help the toppings heat and the cheese melt.

I totally agree with this method. I started using it awhile ago for reheating all pizzas and it works great. Just watch out you don't burn the bottom of the pizza if you leave it on to long on too high a heat setting. I think Pete's Apizza actually has these instructions on their boxes. Not sure where I learned it.

I find the best way to reheat a wood-burning oven pizza (and I reheat A LOT of pizzas) is to preheat the oven and a cookie sheet or stone for a few minutes at about 350-400 degrees. Once the oven is hot and the stone has heated up a bit, throw the pizza in and cook until the crust refreshes to the desired crispness.

I think putting a pizza in a skillet, while probably delicious, changes the complexion of the pizza.

I find the best way to reheat a wood-burning oven pizza (and I reheat A LOT of pizzas) is to preheat the oven and a cookie sheet or stone for a few minutes at about 350-400 degrees. Once the oven is hot and the stone has heated up a bit, throw the pizza in and cook until the crust refreshes to the desired crispness.

I think putting a pizza in a skillet, while probably delicious, changes the complexion of the pizza.

These have been great posts. Jonathan - do you have any suggestions on good pizza stones? I've never owned one before, I'm embarrassed to admit. Any idea as to oven temperature and time in oven? (I have a ratty old 1960s oven that heats, but not very well.)

Also, there's a reason I said "one of the best pizzas," and it's because of what I've experienced at Ghibellina over the past year or so. Logistics have me at Pupatella more than at Ghibellina, but I'm going to remedy that minor issue. Your happy hour pizzas remain *easily* the best value pizza I've ever had in my life.

One thing I'll add is that I never refrigerate leftover pizza if I know I'll have it the next day. Good idea? Mistake?

These have been great posts. Jonathan - do you have any suggestions on good pizza stones? I've never owned one before, I'm embarrassed to admit. Any idea as to oven temperature and time in oven? (I have a ratty old 1960s oven that heats, but not very well.)

Also, there's a reason I said "one of the best pizzas," and it's because of what I've experienced at Ghibellina over the past year or so. Logistics have me at Pupatella more than at Ghibellina, but I'm going to remedy that minor issue. Your happy hour pizzas remain *easily* the best value pizza I've ever had in my life.

Don - while Jonathan may have a differing view - I have had a very positive experience using the "Baking Steel" to make pizza as well as reheat leftovers.

I've often wondered if you were clear on the concept of pizza in general! :)

Have you ever served pizza? I cannot remember one single time.

If you don't love, eat, breathe and bleed Pizza, leave it to the experts.  

And as a diabetic, pizza is a rare treat.

My first restaurant job was at Angeli Caffe which for over 20 years made one of LA's best pizza using an old Blodgett Double Deck Gas Oven.  The original Pizzauolo was from one of the famous pizza restaurants in Naples.  The Chef/Owner Even Kliman is the host of Good Eats on KCRW and the author of many cookbooks.  

It's much better cold.

Agree.  I'm sure I'm in the vast minority on this, but IMO pizza doesn't achieve its full potential goodness until it has cured for a while, preferably overnight, preferably out on the counter.  Reheating is contraindicated.

• Like 1

I don't usually reheat wood-burning oven pizza (it is usually all eaten when served :-) However, I think for pizza cooked in a regular oven that the skillet method is a good way to approximate that same high heat experience.