Humbled

My Thanksgiving dinner last year featured turkey in mole Poblano. Painstakingly finding all the right ingredients and following a recipe closely.  Several people with ties to Mexico said it was as good as they have had ((albeit they are friends)). I was so proud. Until. I read this quote from an interview Diana Kennedy gave Food52.com

What are the pantry ingredients that you use the most when you're in Mexico?
These are the items currently in my pantry in Mexico: 5 types of pumpkin seeds, dried fava beans, dried shrimps of all sizes (head intact and unshelled), 13 types of dried chiles, several types of dried corn, powdered lime, tequesquite (a natural salt), 8 types of dried regional Mexico oreganos, almonds, pecans, cashew nuts, candied citron and biznaga (barrel cactus), white, black, and muscat raisins, currants, and three types of Mexican sea salt. Plus, of course, every spice you can name. I use them all from time to time.

Just because she has all of those ingredients in her pantry doesn't mean she uses them all in mole poblano. I love Dame Diana, but she can be an insufferable curmudgeon. Don't feel bad about making mole from scratch. I made turkey with mole negro de Oaxaca for Christmas (smoked the turkey with apple wood chunks), but I used Oaxacan mole paste as the base. I've made mole from scratch many times, but I simply was not physically up to it this time around. Nothing to feel ashamed of, though. It was delicious and everyone loved it.

• Like 1