One-Eyed Mike's, American Tavern in Fells Point With a Focus on Grand Marnier

Had a wonderful meal here.

The decor is classic tavern- dark woods, tight quarters, low light. This is a bar's bar and a tiny one at that (maybe 14 at the bar plus four 2-tops, then seating for maybe 20 more in back.

The bar focus is Grand Mariner, with many drinks, a couple of "planks" (aka flights - and this is the only pirate reference inside) and a GM club that you can join, buying a bottle and locker storage and all that.

Ok, cool bar, maybe a little gimmicky- but the food is really, really good.

We started with filet crostini, with a tiny dab of goat cheese and vinaigrette. The cold meat was cut fairly thick but was soft like butter and delicious. I might have preferred this over a hearty bread vs a crumbly toast, but an excellent start.

My wife got a trio of crab cake, shrimp and stuffed lobster. The crab cake was very nice and surprisingly delicate- no heavy spice or butter. I enjoyed a hearty Ciopinno with tender calamari, mahi mahi and other good stuff that had me digging into the deep tureen.

They had a decent beer selection on tap, including brewers art "resurrection" and a few other locals. My vanilla porter was not gimicky.

With a few drinks and the grand-slam touristy specials, this was an expensive night. But it was really, really memorable and we look forward to going back.

The place is a block west of the Fells Point main drag and has been open 11 years- so it is no secret. Make a reservation or be there early on weekends.

The bar focus is Grand Mariner, with many drinks, a couple of "planks" (aka flights - and this is the only pirate reference inside) and a GM club that you can join, buying a bottle and locker storage and all that.

Ok, cool bar, maybe a little gimmicky- but the food is really, really good.

There's a book out there, waiting to be written, about product placement and subsidies in restaurants - which are rampant and industry-wide. Kitchen Confidential made Anthony Bourdain, Fast Food Nation made Eric Schlosser, and this exposé - were it to be written - could easily make an unknown's future. (About 500 sets of eyes just opened wide.)

Yup.

I used to work in the highest-volume Rolling Rock outlet.  Needless to say, they paid anything but the highest price for the swill.

Having said that, the Grand Mariner thing was something, vs. so many places that have nothing.   I suppose heavy drinkers don't need a gimmick, theme or otherwise.  But I'm just along for the ride, and this one was something different.  Did I buy in?  No, other than the GM/mimosa thing my wife enjoyed.  But I bought into the fact that they combined a theme/gimmick along with attentive service and decent food.  The bartenders talked it up.   They also discussed other topics.  It was a nice evening.

There's money flowing both ways along paths we can't fathom and that will continue to be invented.  That's fine by me - all of it is because people are caring to make a buck.  And they make a buck by making me happy (since ultimately I'm the guy with new bucks in pocket).  So the owner buys an extra 5 cases before the end of the month and gets a "free night" of some new liquor from the same brand...and that makes things fun and begets more sales of the cases... that's cool.  Free enterprise and all.  :)

It really did have the feel of a John-Taffer-esque-planned-business-plan.  No denying that.  But that beats some tired old bartender in a tired old bar serving regulars and getting through the night despite me.