Chicken Out, A Rotisserie Chicken Carryout Reopen at 1386 Chain Bridge Road in McLean In the Former Marvelous Market Space - Closed

It looks like they're in the process of taking over the spot where the Chicken Out (McLean) used to be. Has anyone been to their other locations? Is there reason to be hopeful? 

Surprisingly, Chicken Out has reopened in McLean - in the former Marvelous Market space.

Although the paper signage is still the same, this appears to be the only location which leads me to believe that it might have been sold (although that's just a guess). There were balloons up today, and they appeared to be having a great opening.

I don't know if it is a new, new ownership group but someone bought it out of bankruptcy a year or two ago and re-opened several locations.  I know for certain that the Shady Grove location that was re-opened has already closed.

I don't know if it is a new, new ownership group but someone bought it out of bankruptcy a year or two ago and re-opened several locations.  I know for certain that the Shady Grove location that was re-opened has already closed.

I had no idea. The only location shown on their website is McLean, so I don't know what to think - I guess time will tell.

I was there earlier today & indeed McLean is the only location open.  Sad to say, the chicken we had lacked the "old vinegar zest" and the flavor was nondescript.  The bird's temperature was medium warm - not hot - which is a negative, the skin was unappealing with it's pallid appearance and mushy texture vs crispy.

My personal sense is our breast quarters were sitting in the warmer rather than recently taken off the rotisserie.  There were no chickens spinning away on the rotisserie - none - which is not a good sign for freshness and turn over.

I hope they make it as I was a big fan when they were down the street.  But this store needs a serious rethink.  There is considerable chicken competition in the neighborhood & an excellent product can be had at Balducci's nearby.  The glass display of sides was not, to my thinking, appealing or encouraging.  Is there a web site?  Not that I can tell.

So, our lunch-time visit was not a success.  Again, I hope they improve markedly but the odds - and competition - are not in their favor.

I really liked the old Chicken Out, but I think it has to be a tough business with grocery stores now having rotisserie chickens and ready to go sides.  I always thought they were the classy version of Boston Market.

They were, but they went downhill after awhile (Note: Boston Market used to be called Boston Chicken when they first came to the DC area).

Very sad when Chicken Out fell apart. Bought a lot of chicken salad in Falls Church and Reston. Hard to see the route to a successful comeback now. Costco rotisserie chickens, Peruvian chicken joints, the still-around Boston Markets, etc. Lot of chicken out there.

Just looked at their website. It's sad. No chicken salad either.

I actually remember the original Boston Chicken (in Newton, actually). Long, long time ago.

Ha!  I remember the original Boston C in Newton years ago!  I agree the local effort of Chicken Out went downhill prior to filing for bankruptcy but I was still enthusiastic about trying the McLean branch.

One odd aspect: they are promoting fajitas, wraps and burritos along with some other oddball additions (as you will see on the web site & in store).  Perhaps this is a way to use - er, "repurpose" - unsold chicken.  Unfortunately, I think it imparted a lack of focus on the core product which was and should be rotisserie chicken.  Perhaps the new owners recognize the considerable competition for whole/quartered chicken in our area but they are not differentiating themselves in any meaningful way by (a) offering fajitas etc and (B) selling a meh product.

For me, as I noted, the display case today of sides and wraps lacked the mouth watering allure of the "old" Chicken Out which showcased their various offerings in ways that visually appealed to the customer.  Our sides were not great save for the cole slaw.

Again, only one visit, its early and I am sincerely hopeful they can improve their efforts.  Otherwise, there are far too many alternatives available that are far superior (and no, I don't mean Pollo Rico or Super Chicken as much as I like those two).

• Like 1

The old Chicken Out had some great sides, like the cranberry orange relish. They also made a chicken salad with apricots that was outstanding. Their display case was indeed mouthwatering. They really screwed up a good thing.

I too liked the old chicken out.  But who knows if "they screwed up a good thing".  So many things go on with a business including endless competition.  Its tough to make everything work all the time.

The Mclean site was referenced in the business news as having been signed and ready to go back in 2012.  Man...what kinds of things occurred between now and then?   Who knows.

Thinking about the "old chicken out" when it first got started:  Some time in the earlier 90's when they were relatively new and hot, "we" had a property with what we thought was a perfect space for chicken out.  They were probably in the earlier stages of expanding.  They sort of had a hard time "figuring it out" and if it fit their profile.  They never made the deal in that market...and some years later made a deal in that general market, but what "we" (as real estate guys) but not as food guys...thought was an inferior location.

On the other hand, chicken out was started by Rick Hindin who started and expanded Britches, who certainly leased a lot of spaces on the clothing side over the decades.

C'est la vie.  The original Chicken Out...geez it had many good features in my mind, most of all a tasty chicken, also excellent sides, and very slick looking stores.  I wonder what happened?  I'd guess the proliferation of roasted chickens available at every supermarket and in so many competitors had a serious impact.

I too liked the old chicken out.  But who knows if "they screwed up a good thing".  So many things go on with a business including endless competition.  Its tough to make everything work all the time.

The Mclean site was referenced in the business news as having been signed and ready to go back in 2012.  Man...what kinds of things occurred between now and then?   Who knows.

Thinking about the "old chicken out" when it first got started:  Some time in the earlier 90's when they were relatively new and hot, "we" had a property with what we thought was a perfect space for chicken out.  They were probably in the earlier stages of expanding.  They sort of had a hard time "figuring it out" and if it fit their profile.  They never made the deal in that market...and some years later made a deal in that general market, but what "we" (as real estate guys) but not as food guys...thought was an inferior location.

On the other hand, chicken out was started by Rick Hindin who started and expanded Britches, who certainly leased a lot of spaces on the clothing side over the decades.

C'est la vie.  The original Chicken Out...geez it had many good features in my mind, most of all a tasty chicken, also excellent sides, and very slick looking stores.  I wonder what happened?  I'd guess the proliferation of roasted chickens available at every supermarket and in so many competitors had a serious impact.

Some web pages passed along without comment because I know nothing about them other than that they exist.

topix.combankrupt.comleehindlin.com

Big handwritten "CLOSED" sign on the door as I walked by today.  Windows covered with brown paper, sign is gone.  Either (a) another remodeling project (last one took years) or (b ) it's kaput.

I went several times but C.O. was a shadow of its former self - chicken and sides were mediocre, interior unattractive and harshly lit and (at least for my sensibility) the store did not radiate spic-n-span cleanliness.

Big handwritten "CLOSED" sign on the door as I walked by today.  Windows covered with brown paper, sign is gone.  Either (a) another remodeling project (last one took years) or (b ) it's kaput.

I went several times but C.O. was a shadow of its former self - chicken and sides were mediocre, interior unattractive and harshly lit and (at least for my sensibility) the store did not radiate spic-n-span cleanliness.

I hadn't been in years, since all of the ones near me in Montgomery County closed, but I will always miss their cinnamon applesauce.

Sadly, this was most likely a dead-cat bounce: A Bethesda-based team was in charge of the new location, perhaps remembering Chicken Out's glory days in the early 1990s, and eventually realized it wasn't going to work - you could tell just driving by that it was now a struggling mon-n-pop instead of a well-funded corporate chain.

The owners, Nick and Elda Cordone, had named this location "Chicken Out and More," and had also reopened the bankrupt "Star Diner" (Kentlands) on May 23, 2014 - that lasted only about 5 months before it closed again in late 2014. Nick Cordone was also part owner of "Club Venus" or "Venus Lounge" (I'm not sure of the correct name) at 15 K St. NE. Someone who signed his name "Joe" posted on POPVille on Apr 5, 2011 under the name "Nick Cordone" and said he was the owner of U4RIA at Republic Gardens. All I know is, I feel like I need a shower.