Moo Thru, Ice Cream from Real Dairy Farmers - At The Intersection Of Routes 28 and 29 in Remington, VA

I love this place. They serve some of the best ice cream I have ever had. It's made on the premises using milk from the owner's farm less than 5 miles away. Located at the intersection of 29 and 28,  it's about an hour to get there from my farm or from DC proper. They also sell milk from the farm in old fashioned glass bottles as well as a small variety of sandwiches which I have yet to sample. My gf loves the lemon sorbet and my personal fave thus far is the "Moundz" ice cream- coconut with chocolate chips as you would expect.

Parking is a bit limited and service does tend to be slow, particularly on weekend evenings when the weather is warm. I get a little chafed over it but the irritation goes away quickly when the ice cream hits the mouth.

My family were dairy farmers for years and years so I have extra appreciation for the Moo Thru allowing the Smith family to endure in an increasingly difficult environment for dairy farming.

• Like 4

I love this place. They serve some of the best ice cream I have ever had. It's made on the premises using milk from the owner's farm less than 5 miles away. Located at the intersection of 29 and 28,  it's about an hour to get there from my farm or from DC proper. They also sell milk from the farm in old fashioned glass bottles as well as a small variety of sandwiches which I have yet to sample. My gf loves the lemon sorbet and my personal fave thus far is the "Moundz" ice cream- coconut with chocolate chips as you would expect.

Parking is a bit limited and service does tend to be slow, particularly on weekend evenings when the weather is warm. I get a little chafed over it but the irritation goes away quickly when the ice cream hits the mouth.

My family were dairy farmers for years and years so I have extra appreciation for the Moo Thru allowing the Smith family to endure in an increasingly difficult environment for dairy farming.

Moo Thru is midway between Warrenton and Culpepper. I've initiated this ice cream stand in Italic.

I don't want to pee in anyone's cornflakes but I think I am in the minority on this one.

When I first saw this I thought "Great, it's like point of rocks creamery!"

I've been twice and left dissapointed both times.

The first time I probably bought 5 pints or quarts of various flavors to bring home.  Of the 5, the pina colada was good.  The rest were just.... meh. Several still sit unfinished in my refrigerator. I did get a good milkshake though.  The other thing was the service, The line took forver... turns out it was high school graduation day that way so half the staff was out, so they get a pass on that one.  The milkshake was good enough to get me to give them another try.

Second time, just stopping for milkshakes.  You had high school seniors running the place.  My milkshakes were forgot.  After 10 minutes when I asked if they were coming, I was told they were making them.  Meanwhile, the staff is screwing around and having fun in the back (hello, I can see you).  After 10 minutes I ask again... "Ooops, sorry, we forgot."  The staff that had been screwing around scramble to get the milkshakes.   The milkshakes, while good (especially the whipped cream) are not worth a 20 minute wait.

Here is the thing though, the product at point of rocks creamery is noticably better.  Hell, milwaukee frozen custard is better.  I desperately wanted this place to be good as I am out that way a few times a year but my two experiences suggest that it is nothing worth going out of your way for.  That makes me sad.

• Like 2

I don't want to pee in anyone's cornflakes but I think I am in the minority on this one.

When I first saw this I thought "Great, it's like point of rocks creamery!"

I've been twice and left dissapointed both times.

The first time I probably bought 5 pints or quarts of various flavors to bring home.  Of the 5, the pina colada was good.  The rest were just.... meh. Several still sit unfinished in my refrigerator. I did get a good milkshake though.  The other thing was the service, The line took forver... turns out it was high school graduation day that way so half the staff was out, so they get a pass on that one.  The milkshake was good enough to get me to give them another try.

Second time, just stopping for milkshakes.  You had high school seniors running the place.  My milkshakes were forgot.  After 10 minutes when I asked if they were coming, I was told they were making them.  Meanwhile, the staff is screwing around and having fun in the back (hello, I can see you).  After 10 minutes I ask again... "Ooops, sorry, we forgot."  The staff that had been screwing around scramble to get the milkshakes.   The milkshakes, while good (especially the whipped cream) are not worth a 20 minute wait.

Here is the thing though, the product at point of rocks creamery is noticably better.  Hell, milwaukee frozen custard is better.  I desperately wanted this place to be good as I am out that way a few times a year but my two experiences suggest that it is nothing worth going out of your way for.  That makes me sad.

No cornflake...uh, you know...here. Yours is a view and you support it well. Personally, as a big ice cream fan, I haven't yet been out to Moo-Thru but will try it in the next month or two, maybe along with the one you like better. Thank you!

No cornflake...uh, you know...here. Yours is a view and you support it well. Personally, as a big ice cream fan, I haven't yet been out to Moo-Thru but will try it in the next month or two, maybe along with the one you like better. Thank you!

Yeah, the quality of the milk is most likely awesome, but I doubt it's farm-raised Pií±a Colada syrup, and good milk is only one component for good ice cream.

• Like 1

Here is the thing though, the product at point of rocks creamery is noticably better. 

I've been to both. They're decent enough, but not particularly great.  Some of the flavors at Rocky Point Creamery taste artificially flavored to me.  The best place of this sort that I've ever stumbled upon is Broom's Bloom near Bel Air, Maryland.

• Like 1

Here's the thing. If I am driving to C-ville to visit my daughter, Point of Rocks (any any other MD ice cream locale) is not really an option, But Moo-Thru, for all its slow-service/often long line issues, is. I love the milkshakes, and I think the fresh peach, when in season, is great. I do not consider far-flung ice cream shops as destination points - I wouldn't drive to Remington, VA just for Moo-Thru, as I wouldn't drive to Bel Air, e.g., just for ice cream. But if en route, it is a good option for a quick stop, and supporting locally owned businesses is preferable to the DQ off Rt 29 somewhere along that route.

• Like 1