Klay Thompson of the Golden State Warriors Scores 37 Points In A Single NBA Quarter - The All-Time Record

DaveO

This video which pieces each score, basket and foul shout, made by Klay Thompson, in his record setting quarter, during which he scored 37 points, all without a miss is truly stunning.

Thompson's shooting during the quarter is the purest description of "being in a zone". He does have a remarkably quick and seemingly effortless release.

Lots of shots...not a miss among them.

This video which pieces each score, basket and foul shout, made by Klay Thompson, in his record setting quarter, during which he scored 37 points, all without a miss is truly stunning.

Thompson's shooting during the quarter is the purest description of "being in a zone".   He does have a remarkably quick and seemingly effortless release.

Lots of shots...not a miss among them.

Thanks for posting this - I figured you would (I was going to, but didn't want to overshadow the passing of Ernie Banks - but would have today).

What can you say? The only way to make it more perfect would have been to take more shots.

Klay's father, Mychael, was the #1 pick in the entire NBA draft in 1978, so this talent is not random.

I won't say "this will never be broken," but it's perhaps a once-in-a-lifetime feat - while very tempting to say "this can't be broken," it can, and will be one day, but most likely not for a long, long time. Here's a truly unbreakable record I pubilshed here once - Fernando Tatis hitting two grand slams in one inning off the same pitcher. The sun will explode before that is broken. *Maybe* tied, but broken? Impossible.

• Like 1

There is an inexplicable if not indescribable element to being "in the zone".  Its sort of magic.  One's game elevates to a level you just can't sustain and only reach for short periods.  It might be a set during a tennis match.  It might be one magical pitching experience, or in the case of Klay Thompson one magical quarter of shooting.

Most of his shots were swishes.  Most were from long range.   He was making shots on the move.  He was either moving so well, and/or his team was in such sync and/or the defense was so weak, a majority of the shots were not rigorously contested.  Contested but not at uber close range.  That was part of the magic.  Thompson was moving in rythym and with purpose and the defense couldn't control him.

Thompson's father was an NBA player.  He has athletic genes.  He was in that zone and his teammates were feeding him.  It was amazing to watch.

And then think about it.  Imagine when someone such as Lebron James or Kevin Durant are in a zone above and beyond their normal games.

I wasn't a great ball player by any stretch of the imagination, but I could shoot decently. I remember playing in a youth league once in my junior high years and being in the zone once...in a practice scrimmage. Everything I shot, from anywhere on the court, was going in. It was an awesome feeling. That practice was on a Thursday night, I believe. We get to gameday on Saturday and coach says, "OK, dgreen's got the hot hand so let's get him the ball." I'm thinking "WTF, dude? That was a couple days ago. How long do you think the zone lasts?" Sure enough, first possession I get the ball probably from about college 3-point range and I launch it...air ball. I probably ended the game with maybe 6 points.

And then there were those times when you're in the mini-zone. Where you have maybe 5-6 straight shots that all seem to fall no matter what. I'm doing high-arcing, turnaround, fadeaway, baseline jumpers and it's nothing but net. I've never been a good dribbler, but I could run the floor, get the ball, take a couple dribbles and hit a stop-and-pop while feeling like I'm elevating higher than I ever do.  And then you miss one and it all goes away. You think you're going to experience that true "in the zone" moment again, but it's gone after a handful of shots.