I have a vague recollection of a discussion a few years ago somewhere on this website about rice pudding. I'm a big fan and grew up believing it a Jewish food until, as an adult, an Israeli friend looked at me quizzically after I said that and gently let me know she had never encountered the dish growing up in Tel Aviv.

That led to a bunch of research leading to a conclusion that rice pudding is actually multicultural and not particularly tied to Judaism.

Anyway, as a fan of other puddings also (the chocolate sold by PA's Keswick Creamery at the Sunday DuPont Market is pretty outstanding btw), I had an experience today that cause me to question much of what I thought I knew about puddings. Or, in other words, maybe my biggest pudding mistake since I realized rice pudding actually isn't an Ashkenazi or Sephardic food.

At a dinner at Baltimore's Cinghiale tonight, we ordered a "Tiramisu Bonet" at the urging of our waiter and not really laying attention to the "Bonet" modifier. Expecting something with layers of cake and rum soaked, we were surprised when the plate landed and was a dead ringer for flan, had no rum, cake or cream. The waiter let us know that was the "Bonet" version but, inasmuch as it seemingly has nothing in common with traditional tiramisu, even google hasn't helped me solve this mystery.

I'm guessing someone here may know.

And, here's a good primer on flan vs creme brí»lée and all the other versions internationally of creme caramel with nary a mention of Tiramisu Bonet!

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crème_caramel

The traditional Ashkenazi "pudding" is lokshen (noodle) kugel, which is a baked pudding, usually sweet-- made with egg noodles, eggs, sour cream or some other type of dairy, sugar, and dried fruit--often raisins, but my mother made it with both golden raisins and dried apricots. In many non-kosher homes like mine, it was served as a starch alongside brisket, pot roast or chicken.

Darkstar, your belief that rice pudding was a traditional Jewish dish may have come from eating at deli restaurants, where rice pudding was often offered as a dessert. This has more to do with Americanization than anything else. Deli desserts were often the same as offered at American coffee shops, like Jello, tapioca, sherbet, or chocolate cake, none of which were eaten in the "old country" where the immigrants had come from. Typical Eastern European desserts like compote made from dried fruit or babka were unlikely to appeal to American kids.

At a dinner at Baltimore's Cinghiale tonight, we ordered a "Tiramisu Bonet" at the urging of our waiter and not really laying attention to the "Bonet" modifier. Expecting something with layers of cake and rum soaked, we were surprised when the plate landed and was a dead ringer for flan, had no rum, cake or cream. The waiter let us know that was the "Bonet" version but, inasmuch as it seemingly has nothing in common with traditional tiramisu, even google hasn't helped me solve this mystery.

I'm guessing someone here may know.

Bonet seems to be a traditional Piedmontese dessert. It looks like it's currently usually made with chocolate/cocoa, but in the past it didn't and that dish is termed "bonet alla monferrina".

Now I can't see anything about "tiramisu bonet" but perhaps it's a newfangled creation. Take the standard recipe/technique of a bonet and add some espresso and use ladyfinger crumbs rather than amaretti?

The traditional Ashkenazi "pudding" is lokshen (noodle) kugel, which is a baked pudding, usually sweet-- made with egg noodles, eggs, sour cream or some other type of dairy, sugar, and dried fruit--often raisins, but my mother made it with both golden raisins and dried apricots. In many non-kosher homes like mine, it was served as a starch alongside brisket, pot roast or chicken.

Darkstar, your belief that rice pudding was a traditional Jewish dish may have come from eating at deli restaurants, where rice pudding was often offered as a dessert. This has more to do with Americanization than anything else. Deli desserts were often the same as offered at American coffee shops, like Jello, tapioca, sherbet, or chocolate cake, none of which were eaten in the "old country" where the immigrants had come from. Typical Eastern European desserts like compote made from dried fruit or babka were unlikely to appeal to American kids.

I am familiar with the noodle kugel though vaguely recall versions that I think we're savory versus sweet? And, you're exactly right on the deli dessert theory. I think the whole history of Jewish cuisine absolutely fascinating and a great example of what makes food so interesting beyond sustenance or even taste.

I have a Christmas pudding curing in my fridge. We plan to douse it in brandy this weekend and set it on fire before eating.

Anything tasting even just ok that gets set on fire is thumbs up in my book. Neil never forget the first time grandparents explained what a Baked Alaska was after a cruise they took when I was a child. At the time, thought that almost unimaginable and the coolest think ever on a fancy ship with everyone in tuxedos and gowns.

Rice pudding like Kheer?

Absolutely. Like creme caramel, rice puddings have all kinds of different and interesting variations from around the globe.

Bonet seems to be a traditional Piedmontese dessert. It looks like it's currently usually made with chocolate/cocoa, but in the past it didn't and that dish is termed "bonet alla monferrina".

Now I can't see anything about "tiramisu bonet" but perhaps it's a newfangled creation. Take the standard recipe/technique of a bonet and add some espresso and use ladyfinger crumbs rather than amaretti?

This is the crux of the slightly tongue-in-cheek "mystery" that prompted this thread. I too would have just written it off to some kind of "newfangled" pastry chef creativity. But the waiter's tone in trying to explain it piqued my interest. He was trying, mostly successfully, to walk a line avoiding condescension in an effort to educate. I didn't totally buy it so, after a few fruitless google searches, thought I'd ask here whether anyone had ever heard of such a thing or something with deep expertise on Italian cuisine might make me feel a little better by proclaiming it silly.

This is the crux of the slightly tongue-in-cheek "mystery" that prompted this thread. I too would have just written it off to some kind of "newfangled" pastry chef creativity. But the waiter's tone in trying to explain it piqued my interest. He was trying, mostly successfully, to walk a line avoiding condescension in an effort to educate. I didn't totally buy it so, after a few fruitless google searches, thought I'd ask here whether anyone had ever heard of such a thing or something with deep expertise on Italian cuisine might make me feel a little better by proclaiming it silly.

All that said...was it good? :)