On 3/22/2018 at 3:47 PM, zgast said:

David Chang confessed (nay, resolutely defended) to liking and frequently ordering Domino's.  We're worried about cooking a meal with the correct portions delivered?  Life's busy.  Not every meal can or should be gourmet.

There are times when I pour a bowl of cereal for dinner. Life is hectic, and being a single gal, cooking for one can be downright depressing. I have never learned to portion recipes for one, and I often become  bored with a dish, and don't always enjoy leftovers. 

• Like 2

Does anyone have an opinion on (or experience with) "ugly food" companies (e.g., Imperfect Produce, Hungry Harvest)? Yes, I fell for the click-bait: I'm expecting my first box this week.

Wish I had found the TNR article before signing up. It raises some good points. However, for me, it's an affordable supplement for CSA during winter months.

Thoughts? Comments? Feedback?

12 minutes ago, legant said:

Does anyone have an opinion on (or experience with) "ugly food" companies (e.g., Imperfect Produce, Hungry Harvest)? Yes, I fell for the click-bait: I'm expecting my first box this week.

Wish I had found the TNR article before signing up. It raises some good points. However, for me, it's an affordable supplement for CSA during winter months.

No direct experience, but I found this:

Apr 5, 2018 - "Why the Business of Ugly Produce Is So Complicated" by Gowri Chandra on foodandwine.com

16 minutes ago, legant said:

Yes, also on the flip side, we REALLY need more small farmers and people to get back into farming.  We won't do that if we don't provide farmers decent profit margins to survive, which means selling more of their produce for profit.  So monetizing produce otherwise not being sold does help it just doesn't sound as sexy- we are providing a better living and profit margin for farmers so they can continue to farm is a less sexy headline than- food bank donations going down.  So I do think it is likely a complicated area.

1 hour ago, legant said:

Please let us know what you think of the box once you get it.