City of Gold

mdt

Recently got back from Sundance, blah, blah, blah, and wanted to let everyone here know about the excellent documentary City of Gold. I believe this got picked up and will be out in theaters (indie most likely) later this year.

From imdb.com

CITY OF GOLD is about the transformative power of food and food writing in how we experience where we live. Pulitzer Prize winning critic, Jonathan Gold, is our VIrgilian guide, casting his light upon a vibrant and growing cultural movement, a movement in which he plays the dual roles of high-low priest and culinary geographer of his beloved Los Angeles.

More info here and here.

You don't happen to know if Meru is going to be in theaters, do you?

Meru won the audience award for best U.S. Documentary, but I did not have a chance to see it. The funny thing is that of all the conversations I had with folks about the various movies they saw and liked nobody mentioned that one. That all said, I did not hear about it being picked up, but I hope it is so that I can see it.

I just saw this documentary at IFC and it's fantastic.  If it doesn't make you want to hop on a plane to LA, nothing will.  But it's also more about people and the city than the restaurants themselves.  I highly recommend it, even for the non food obsessed.