Solo on Valentine's Day, Where Should I Dine?

ktmoomau

Ok, so Matt is going to be super busy this weekend because well this is a big weekend for George Washington and his home.  So that gives me an opportunity to eat some meals at some places he might not want to go to, albeit I might be eating alone at the bar (and if you want to eat somewhere interesting and/or maybe expensive let me know).  I have some single friends I could go out with Saturday night, but I am not sure they would be up for the budget and then it will be harder to get a seat at the bar.

Saturday night and Monday:  I don't really want to drive somewhere far out, so I am more thinking in DC or Alexandria or Arlington.  I don't really want a fancy tasting menu for Valentine's Day, but I would be fine with a fancy tasting menu that is worth it on a normal day.  I would also go to an interesting other option.  And it needs to be somewhere that has a bar I can eat at because I don't really want to be at a table starring at other couples and I didn't make a reservation, so I won't get a table anyway.

Sunday brunch: I will be at the Alamo Draft House eating bar food for an event Sunday afternoon/evening, but also have an opportunity for a really good brunch Sunday. Where should I go????  Where would you go?? Be creative.  Matt doesn't love weird food or really spicy food.

I am not that into tasting menus anymore, so I can't steer you toward those places, but I dine solo at the bar a lot, so below are the bars I've been to and have fun ordering a few drinks and nibbles.

I really like the bar at Iron Gate in Dupont area. I think it's just a great setting to dine in and enjoy a cocktail. If Jeff Faile is still there, then it's nice to have him whip something up cocktail-wise.

I would also want to go to Pinea because I'm a fan of Chef Koslow. I'm sure the bar is beautiful there, since it's in the W hotel. I don't know if they have prix-fixe or not.

Hank's on Capitol Hill, if Gina's there. The bar is well-lighted, decor simple, and has a fun atmosphere.

In Arlington, I think Copperwood Tavern in Shirlington has a nice bar. The one time I went there, the chef was a little heavy-handed in the salt, but otherwise fine. Nice vibe there too.

I don't know where to go to brunch these days, so cannot help in that department.

^I second the bar at Iron Gate!

Also, the bar at Corduroy is a really nice, intimate venue and you can have their incredible $30 bar deal (3 courses, all from the regular menu) for $30 (you might want to check if they're offering the deal on Valentine's Day).

I haven't been in a long time, but the bar at Fiola used to be a favorite place.

Valentine's Day? I haven't even picked up any chocolates or gifts for my kids (& too late to mail anything to my husband, who will be enjoying a long weekend sampling Belgian beers w/ a friend in Brussels). Maybe you could fit in 1 meal w/ your husband at MV, lunch- Sat or brunch- Sunday, they are going to get slammed this weekend, but the food is usually pretty good.

& I'm not really current on bar dining, but Southside 815 in Old Town has always been good, & if you want to try somewhere spicy & adventurous, somewhere for lunch in Annandale maybe, Le Bledo,To Sok Jip, or Thai Ghang Waan?