Twice in the past week I have had to cancel and reschedule dining out plans due to uncertainty about the weather. One was for last Tuesday when it snowed a good bit, and it probably would have been ok, but given the low temperatures and uncertainty about refreezing, we changed the plans to two weeks later (no small feat since it was for a wino dinner at Dino's with 10 people).  And then we had plans Saturday night to go try Doimoi with friends and then the snowy freezing rain mess descended upon us all.

BAH!

Anyone else in the same boat?

• Like 2

I was babysitting for my brother Saturday night, Matt needed to take my car to work and home because I have the car that drives in the snow.  So I took metro which was a nightmare between the smoke incident on the red line and single tracking going to his house, and the smoke incident at Rosslyn coming home.  But I am from Garrett County and love my Audi, so it has to be pretty bad for me to cancel, we also live right at metro- but it is getting less and less reliable at this point (but when you have other people I certainly think that is the polite thing to do, I wouldn't put other people in that situation.).

Not in the same boat, but I had a tennis ball-sized clump of snow on my front lawn, nestled under a shrub, that was slowly melting away, and I was *so* looking forward to not seeing any more snow on the ground - another day, and it would have been gone; then it snowed again - this was in January. I don't ever remember having snow on the ground continuously for over one month before this winter.

I'm pretty sick of it, all right, particularly because my house is a magnet for cold air - my heating bills this winter have been absurd.

Not in the same boat, but I had a tennis ball-sized clump of snow on my front lawn, nestled under a shrub, that was slowly melting away, and I was *so* looking forward to not seeing any more snow on the ground - another day, and it would have been gone; then it snowed again - this was in January. I don't ever remember having snow on the ground continuously for over one month before this winter.

I'm pretty sick of it, all right, particularly because my house is a magnet for cold air - my heating bills this winter have been absurd.

You should get a dog. Matt could help take care of it. The right breed will chase and try to retrieve tennis-ball sized snow balls. It's pretty funny. On this, I can claim expert knowledge. :-)

• Like 1

This winter has been the coldest I can remember in Washington, but it doesn't compare to 2009-2010 in snow.

We went to NYC the evening of the first of the 3 waves of 2010 Snowmageddon. Spent the weekend there. Our train back was cancelled, but we caught a later train.  Our neighbor had sent us pictures of our house and we were blown away.

So, fortunately our car was in parking garage when we got off the train near BWI. Drove (very carefully) home, but after we gotof the BW Parkway, things got progressively worse. We managed to get in to our neighborhood, but as our street was not plowed, and have 4 feet or more of snow on it, we essentially abandoned/parked our car on the main street near our street, got our bags, and trudged through the snow until we got to our house.  That is the most snow I ever remember having on the ground in this area except for maybe the 1978 to 1980 series of winters.

Very true. Snowmageddon this year is up New England way. We've been having a very irreconcilable debate in our house about which is preferable, record cold or record snow.

My vote is record cold.  I hate it, but I can still navigate.   During Snowmageddon & the Snowpocolypse, I emailed pix to a friend from the Syracuse NY area.  When she said that's a helluva lotta snow, I knew my whining wasn't due to exaggeration.

• Like 2

I LOVED snowpocalypse, it reminded me of home :)  (Of course at home the amount of snow they got that year was insane, and I mean insane, but I loved that too.  A friend had to admit that there was better skiing in Garrett County than Beaver Creek that year and it was a priceless admission.) Would much rather have that than record cold.  

• Like 1

This winter has been the coldest I can remember in Washington, but it doesn't compare to 2009-2010 in snow.

The coldest I remember is January 1985 - 2nd Reagan inauguration. So cold.

The tidal basin froze solid enough that I walked across it on the ice. (No, really.)

The tidal basin froze solid enough that I walked across it on the ice. (No, really.)

That was a very cold cold-snap, which caused them to cancel the out-door inauguration and parade, but I don't think overall that winter was as cold as this. I suppose one could look it up, but idle speculation is always so enjoyable, especially when contemplating extremely cold weather in the warm comfort of one's home (with one's dog curled up beside one, also enjoying the warm comfort of the home one provides for her).

Wasn't here then so can't say but the first Obama inauguration in Jan '09 was bitter cold too. That said, think I read that the data have this one as the coldest in many decades.

Last winter, which made us very familiar with the Polar Vortex, turned into a very late Spring and the most comfortable summer I've ever experienced here in DC. I could count on my fingers the number of awful, humid and hot days which made me stay home and hug the AC.

If this current winter produces the same, then I will be a very happy camper.

• Like 4

Last winter, which made us very familiar with the Polar Vortex, turned into a very late Spring and the most comfortable summer I've ever experienced here in DC. I could count on my fingers the number of awful, humid and hot days which made me stay home and hug the AC.

If this current winter produces the same, then I will be a very happy camper.

I completely agree. This past spring/summer/fall period was really great. Unexpected and delicious.