Saigon Quan - Full-Menu Vietnamese in Backlick Plaza, Springfield

(Truth of the matter is that I went to check on the replacement for Gamasot, and it is still boarded up, external glass papered over, neon sign overhead removed, and no activity or progress noted....)

But while I was there, Saigon Quan caught my eye. On a chilly day in February, what would be better than a bracong bowl of pho?

The interior is nice, certainly not a typical pho restaurant, but maybe because it isn't a typical pho restaurant. This place has a menu almost the size of Four Sisters. I ordered the cha gio rolls and a bowl of beef combo 1 with added meatballs ($1.50 upcharge).

The cha gio were a bit on the greasy/oily side, but I enjoyed the taste of the stuffing....so, rather than critique the rolls for being greasy, I am instead wondering how good they could have been if the A Team was working the fryer. (This visit was, after all, around 3pm on a Monday afternoon.) I'll have to check it out on a subsequent prime time visit.

The pho was really good, with a very pleasant umami in each slurp. One difference between this version and others I've enjoyed is that the condiments contained all the usual suspects like a lime wedge, jalapeno slices, basil and sprouts, but also included a long leaf with a nice licorice flavor. I asked the server what it was and he said "coo-lantro" which I think he meant to be cilantro. I had never seen it in a long thin leaf before, but wow, did it liven up the broth nicely.

I'll have to return and give it another spin. Definitely worth a visit for decent Vietnamese in the Springfield area.

I have to admit I like Saigon Quan. I often go there for some banh hoi. I'll admit I'm a bit of a mess eating it, but I like their version. Their banh xeo is also quite good.

I suppose I should venture away from those dishes but, hey, I like making my own wraps and a mess all at the same time.

• Like 1